Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Most definitely! Knowledge isn't limited to brain capacity. For example, our brain capacity isn't any larger than the ancient Roman's, yet we've certainly made a few advancements since their time.
True but as we become smarter, we also get dumber with some things. My parents know things that I do not. Hell, my generation can't do math without a calculator.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
So, if you really think about it, we humans aren't that smart. Sure we cured fearsome diseases and landed on the moon, but if we are truly using all of our brains potential, we really aren't that smart.

...and you're just now realizing this? :p

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
True but as we become smarter, we also get dumber with some things. My parents know things that I do not. Hell, my generation can't do math without a calculator.

You're confusing intelligence, knowledge, and skills.

Intelligence isn't tied to how much you have memorized; it's your ability to think through a given situation (like a logic game).

Certain things that your parents know are because 1) they're older ;) 2) They had more use for it than you do now (ie, you don't need to know how much a bushel is, but a farmer does), and 3) technology has substituted the need to do things in a laborious fashion. I think you could do math without a calculator, it would just take you longer. But why bother? The calculator is labor-saving, so use it. That's the point. It's intended to save you time so you can focus on more difficult problems.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
That's completely unrelated, and depends on how you define "smarter" and "dumber." Just because mental math skills are being replaced by the calculator does that make the younger generation dumber than the older, or simply more resourceful?

As a great example, there are some scientists that believe the written language will soon be entirely replaced by spoken word and interaction with computers. If that prediction were to be true, does that make future generations dumber than us because they can't write, or has the need for the written language simply been replaced?

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
The calculator is labor-saving, so use it. That's the point. It's intended to save you time so you can focus on more difficult problems.
Tell that to my former math teacher and Grandpa. They'll go off on a tangent.:rolleyes:

That's completely unrelated, and depends on how you define "smarter" and "dumber." Just because mental math skills are being replaced by the calculator does that make the younger generation dumber than the older, or simply more resourceful?

As a great example, there are some scientists that believe the written language will soon be entirely replaced by spoken word and interaction with computers. If that prediction were to be true, does that make future generations dumber than us because they can't write, or has the need for the written language simply been replaced?
I have been beaten by a more intelligent being.:p You won this battle.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Tell that to my former math teacher and Grandpa. They'll go off on a tangent.:rolleyes:

Please. It's not a sin to use one. :p:D

You should know your basic multiples (up to 12x12) but how much math will you do on a daily basis? Even at the grocery store you've got your phone if you need to figure something out.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
LOL. My grandfather says... "If it weren't for the damn technology these kids are surrounded by, they'd be able to make change at the grocery store when the registers go down."

Old ppl:rolleyes::p
And he's absolutely right, but that's still not an indicator of intelligence.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
LOL. My grandfather says... "If it weren't for the damn technology these kids are surrounded by, they'd be able to make change at the grocery store when the registers go down."

Old ppl:rolleyes::p

You missed my corny joke. :( I'm saddened. :p

Your grandpa does have a point (to an extent). Most people get confused if I had them extra coins (because I want even change).

Although technically the register won't operate without the software, so the point is moot. :p

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
The answer to this question depends on how one chooses to define "telepathy."

The risk of an unqualified "yes" answer is that the conventional understanding of the term defines it as a supernatural phenomenon. This kind of telepathy is impossible. From a scientific standpoint, "supernatural" means impossible. If something happens, by which we mean to have a measurable effect, then it is natural by definition, and admits to analysis by means of the scientific method.

The risk of an unqualified "no" is that the term "telepathy" is so poorly defined that it could be extended to include certain hypothetical natural communications phenomena that could plausibly exist in the real world, even if no actual species has ever exhibited it.

For us to claim that telepathy can exist, we must be prepared to define telepathy in a way that admits description in terms of the physical communication mechanisms that enable it. Any hand-waving claim that one's "ghost" can by eldritch means know what another's "ghost" is thinking must be rejected out of hand.

We already do have a mechanism that allows us to transmit our thoughts directly into the mind of another. It is called "language" and as banal as it may seem, this is as close to telepathy as any species on this planet has yet presented. The advantage we believe telepathy would provide is precisely the advantage language has already given us over other species. All advancements to communication build upon our development of language.

The most likely scenario regarding the possibility of long-distance nonverbal communication of thoughts from one mind to another is that when it becomes technically feasible we will invent it. If one would not regard such an invention as telepathy, then the pragmatic answer to the question would be no.

Brackets002

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Okay, to start, what is telepathy?
Simply put, it is the ability to transmit the electrical impulses from your brain to another person's through no apparent sensory means. Right?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would either mean said impulses teleport directly into their brain (which is pretty much impossible), or the impulses are escaping your brain, escaping your skull, flying through the air, somehow getting into the other person's brain, and organizing themselves into whatever you were thinking. And it's pretty much impossible for those impulses to travel much more than the length of a nerve cell, as evidenced by the fact that they need to repeat themselves at the end of every cell. Also, brain and nerve cells are way more conductive than the air, as evidenced by the fact that electricity actually follows these pathways. Electricity will always take the path of least resistance, so you can't really just command your electrical impulses to jump out of the pathways they would go in according to the laws of physics. Especially considering how you would be trying to command those impulses USING MORE IMPULSES.
It's theoretically possible to channel those impulses from your brain cells to your nerve cells, which could channel them to nerve endings just inside your skin, allowing them to jump to another person's nerve endings on contact. However, this would require vastly more complex nerve cells, which would require a few million or so more years of evolution.
So in summary, It's telepathy through contact is theoretically possible, but impossible given our current evolutionary point. Otherwise, it pretty much breaks the laws of both physics and logic.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It won't be necessary in a few years. We will probably have devices that interface with our brains which will then allow us to send messages effortlessly.

For now you have SMS so have at it.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Most definitely! Knowledge isn't limited to brain capacity. For example, our brain capacity isn't any larger than the ancient Roman's, yet we've certainly made a few advancements since their time.

Interestingly the human brain has actually been physically shrinking since the stone age.

Eclipse278

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
I sensed someone had resurrected this thread from 2008 and I was right! It must be possible!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Let's say no scientist has seen anyone who has telepathic abilities. Does that prove it is impossible? I'd say no. The best you can say is that there is no evidence and have an opinion that it is unlikely. :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
We don't teach real science any more in the US...

The inability of so many to differentiate real science from pseudo-science, and the lack of rigorous logical thought is really scary.

It seems that any crap claiming to be science, with the most pathetic lack of evidence of employing legitimate scientific methodology, is accepted as solid science as long as it is reported on the internet.

The lack of knowledge of scientific method is appalling.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
The inability of so many to differentiate real science from pseudo-science, and the lack of rigorous logical thought is really scary.

It seems that any crap claiming to be science, with the most pathetic lack of evidence of employing legitimate scientific methodology, is accepted as solid science as long as it is reported on the internet.

The lack of knowledge of scientific method is appalling.

Nice to hear someone else with these thoughts.......sometimes I just want to curl into a ball and cry. :(

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I sensed someone had resurrected this thread from 2008 and I was right! It must be possible!

Um...not necessarily. What you demonstrated is precognitive abilities, not telepathic abilities. Predicting the future ain't the same as reading someone else thoughts.

Nice try Nostradamus, that doesn't make you Professor X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.