Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Dataz
macrumors member

Help: iTunes 11, search not working?

I just updated to iTunes 11 yesterday and I'm going crazy over here.

I'm having problems with compilation albums, where I list "Album Artist" as "Various Artists" and the artists real name under "Artist".

If I search for the artist (in this case Nick Kamen) nothing comes up but if I search for the title of the song (in this case "Each Time You Breaking My Heart") the song pops up.

Why can't I search for the artist name in compilation albums?

Last edited by Dataz; Dec 2, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Dataz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Benzman
macrumors newbie

Just noticed the same thing and came here to find out WTF? Various Artists is not searchable w/iTunes 11. Harrumph!!!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Dataz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman View Post
Just noticed the same thing and came here to find out WTF? Various Artists is not searchable w/iTunes 11. Harrumph!!!
Apple... update patch, please!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Benzman
macrumors newbie

Turns out, I figured out if you strike the "enter" key, it will find songs in "various artists". Odd that it doesn't live search, but it does search the same way it did in 10.7.

Dataz, similar findings or no?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Dataz
macrumors member

Quote:
Turns out, I figured out if you strike the "enter" key, it will find songs in "various artists". Odd that it doesn't live search, but it does search the same way it did in 10.7.

Nice find, works for me too. But I would prefer "live search". I hope Apple will fix it.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:28 PM   #6
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

Solutuion is to re-install 10.7
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Nigel123
macrumors newbie

Figured it out!

Next to the search bar (the search glass) click it to bring the drop down. Uncheck "Search Entire Library". Now you will have the old search form, only way less responsive - it works though..

Still testing it out if it's worth it now that we have Up Next which I use a hell of a lot.

EDIT: Also noticed that Next Up is altered to what is in the live search.

Last edited by Nigel123; Dec 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM.
Nigel123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:03 PM   #8
larrydata
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel123 View Post
next to the search bar (the search glass) click it to bring the drop down. Uncheck "search entire library". Now you will have the old search form, only way less responsive - it works though..

Still testing it out if it's worth it now that we have up next which i use a hell of a lot.

edit: also noticed that next up is altered to what is in the live search.
omg...thank you!
larrydata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Corinnadubai
macrumors newbie

search not working for ipod

Hello,
previously when i went to devices -> my ipod -> music I was also able to search songs on my ipod now the search function is only working on the search library.
and yes i have removed the tic from search entire library. its not working for the ipod...
any idea why?
Thanks
Corinna
Corinnadubai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:48 AM   #10
itkindaworks
macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue but with my iphone. The search is rendered useless.
itkindaworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:46 PM   #11
trueholygoat
macrumors newbie

The inability to search my connected iPod is a deal breaker for me. Not sure how removing this basic functionality is considered an "improvement," but whatever, I've already reverted to 10.7.
trueholygoat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Nigel123
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinnadubai View Post
Hello,
previously when i went to devices -> my ipod -> music I was also able to search songs on my ipod now the search function is only working on the search library.
and yes i have removed the tic from search entire library. its not working for the ipod...
any idea why?
Thanks
Corinna
Quote:
Originally Posted by itkindaworks View Post
I'm having the same issue but with my iphone. The search is rendered useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueholygoat View Post
The inability to search my connected iPod is a deal breaker for me. Not sure how removing this basic functionality is considered an "improvement," but whatever, I've already reverted to 10.7.
Sorry I didnt have email notifications on so I thought the thread dies. For me it works.. I have an iPhone 4S - but that shouldnt matter.

I know iTunes was updated recently to add in a few features like "Duplicate Copies" so I didnt get a chance to test this before the update.
Nigel123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:28 AM   #13
Benayun
macrumors newbie

Keyword searching

So I have just begun to realise an extension to the searching problem described here.

Here is my Senario. I have 23 songs by 'Flume', a Sydney DJ. 15 songs from his album, 4 live radio sets and 4 remixes of other artists songs. The remixes are named with original song name and "(Flume remix)" suffix, and the original artist in artist field.

Searching "Flume" has only 20 Results, omitting three of the remixes... iTunes isn't recognising the Flume keyword in brackets. Searching "(Flume" returns the 4 remixes only.

It appears the lone remix to appear in the original search is because Flume is listed as Album artist.

So the work around is to add Flume to all Album artist fields, but I thought I had lost three songs, because no matter how I searched iTunes it didn't recognise "Flume" in a song named "The Anthem (Flume remix)"... seems dumb to me.

MBP 15' running OS10.7.5 iTunes11.0.1
Benayun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:31 AM   #14
Nigel123
macrumors newbie

@Benayun:

Firstly, I do enjoy Flume as a Melbournite.

Secondly, I cannot recreate the problem. I am on Mountain Lion 10.8.2, iTunes 11.0.1.

My Flume is listed in the "Artist" not "Album Artist" though, as are all my other artists which I think may be causing the problem.. I cannot however, recreate it by removing everything and changing the details.

Is this under the live search or the alternative I posted?
Nigel123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:14 PM   #15
hepcat72
macrumors newbie

Quote:

No, the search does not work the way it used to. It no longer searches the comment field when you search "All". Really really annoying when you have put lots of things to search on in the comments field.
hepcat72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store