Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng

Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:12 AM   #1
kaworu1986
macrumors member

How to promote iPhone app

I have only recently started developing iPhone apps and my first "serious" product (the first one I made was more of a learning exercise and a test of what putting a commercial app on iTunes entailed than anything else) has just gone on sale.

I would like to ask for advice on how to best promote the app, so that as many people as possible know it's out there.
What I've done so far is filming a series of short video commercials and put them on Youtube, created an official site (I used Blogspot because I wanted it to be ready as quickly as possible) and sent a press release and review requests to a number of websites (listed below).

Is there anything major I have missed? Should I also open profiles on Facebook/Myspace for it?

Any help is going to be greatly appreciated.

Websites I submitted my app to so far:
Engadget, Gizmodo, Lifehacker, Ars Technica, TUAW, appshouter, dailyappshow, 148apps, apptism, appstoreapps, theiphoneappreview, iphoneappreviewer, mobilecrunch, appsmile, slapapp, iphoneapplicationlist, appcraver, iphoneappreviews, macworld, iphonefootprint, iphoneapplicationlist
kaworu1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:45 AM   #2
nrose101
macrumors member

Best bet is to use prmac and prweb yourself.

Last edited by nrose101; Dec 6, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
nrose101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:52 PM   #3
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaworu1986 View Post
I have only recently started developing iPhone apps and my first "serious" product (the first one I made was more of a learning exercise and a test of what putting a commercial app on iTunes entailed than anything else) has just gone on sale.

I would like to ask for advice on how to best promote the app, so that as many people as possible know it's out there.
What I've done so far is filming a series of short video commercials and put them on Youtube, created an official site (I used Blogspot because I wanted it to be ready as quickly as possible) and sent a press release and review requests to a number of websites (listed below).

Is there anything major I have missed? Should I also open profiles on Facebook/Myspace for it?

Any help is going to be greatly appreciated.

Websites I submitted my app to so far:
Engadget, Gizmodo, Lifehacker, Ars Technica, TUAW, appshouter, dailyappshow, 148apps, apptism, appstoreapps, theiphoneappreview, iphoneappreviewer, mobilecrunch, appsmile, slapapp, iphoneapplicationlist, appcraver, iphoneappreviews, macworld, iphonefootprint, iphoneapplicationlist
Just a few ideas right off the top of my head:
  • Put some promo codes on the 'Promo Code' forums
  • Create a Twitter account for your company
  • Use Digg.it
  • Create a Facebook fan page and spread the word through your Facebook friends
  • You could use advertising outlets that target your intended audience
  • Use social sharing/integration in your app

Just in-case you're wondering, the single best way to get publicity for your app is by press coverage. There's also tons of really good resources available on the internet only a Google search away that are basically exactly what you're asking for. Stanford has a few free lectures out on iTunes U that you might want to look up, too.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:58 PM   #4
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Press Coverage is by and far the best way to promote an individual app.

I embed Facebook like buttons in all my apps and pages and ads for my apps. I don't think having people like my apps will generate many sales from their friends, but I'm hopeful that it'll allow me to easily turn them into repeat customers.

Also, my avatar + signature work well for advertising my Mac app, but I think at this point I may have saturated the market as sales for it are finally dipping... I guess it's about time I release something new (and maybe tap into those repeat customers I mentioned.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng