Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:07 AM   #1
Brasstacks
macrumors newbie

Keychain-Urgent Advice Sought!

Last night my best friend borrowed my Mac Book (2008 Model) to make a posting on Ebay de. The computer had use of a proxy server, stealth mode and private browsing. Little snitch pop up stating that someone wanted confidential inormation from my keychain. We denied both request.Feeling as though we were being hacked, we at once turned the computer off. Was this normal or a hacker? anything to worry about? Do I need to delete my harddrive?

Last edited by Brasstacks; Dec 5, 2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: mistake
Brasstacks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:13 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasstacks View Post
Last night my best friend borrowed my Mac Book (2008 Model) to make a posting on Ebay de. The computer had use of a proxy server, stealth mode and private browsing. Little snitch pop up stating that someone wanted confidential inormation from my keychain. We denied both request.Feeling as though we were being hacked, we at once turned the computer off. Was this normal or a hacker? anything to worry about? Do I need to delete my harddrive?
Never heard of such a thing, I have Little snitch never had that.
If you didn't allow it it is OK though.
You can look into Keychain by opening Keychain Access if something suspicious is there.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Brasstacks
macrumors newbie

Key Chain Urgent

OK I had a look,but I am a novice! I found that I could not delete the 200 certificates nor could I delete Microsoft Indermediate certificates from the key chain..my master password would not work. What would I be looking for?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:50 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
OK I had a look,but I am a novice! I found that I could not delete the 200 certificates nor could I delete Microsoft Indermediate certificates from the key chain..my master password would not work. What would I be looking for?
Certificates are needed by the System, if you would have deleted them which is "impossible" you would have lots of problems on the internet.
You should look in your own(user name) keychain, if you have for instance GMail there is at least one Gmail entry, this goes on for many things, also Applications have access to it, for instance Safari, when you enter a password for the first time it will ask you if you want it to be remembered, if you clicked yes it will be in the keychain.

Edit: Nobody else can possibly know what is in your keychain since it is personal, you go to different places than me so my keychain is different, you have to find out yourself.

Last edited by justperry; Dec 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:19 PM   #5
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
No. You. Do. Not. Need. To. Delete. Anything.

Slow down. Again I say: Slow. Down. A Little Snitch popup that you denied means nothing happened. And by all means don't go wading through your keychain pressing the delete key.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Brasstacks
macrumors newbie

IP address

Thanks! After thinking this over it was obvious that I was the victim of a cyer ambush.Is there anything to worry about my IP address? I was using a proxy server in stealth mode. IS my IP address now at risk?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:59 AM   #7
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Thanks! After thinking this over it was obvious that I was the victim of a cyer ambush.Is there anything to worry about my IP address? I was using a proxy server in stealth mode. IS my IP address now at risk?
OS X is secure, without your permission nothing will happen so if you get a dialogue box asking for permissions if from outside of your network deny it.

And, as you said before you use Little snitch so don't worry too much.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Brasstacks
macrumors newbie

Thanks for you advice!

I feel better,but now the hacker has my IP address. I was using a proxy server.Have I muddied my cyer tracks or canhe zero in on my IP address for another attempt? Thanks

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help