Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Hello, I got Aebs shared drive and has formatted it on MBA as extended journaled partition. It can save 10gb files so definitely not fat32 formatted. My understanding is that my 64 bit win 7 pc is not supposed to be able to add files to such partition but it does. Should I worry that such practice is prone to data corruption/loss? Sorry if posted to wrong forum.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
The AEBS is doing the read/writes for the Windows machine, so its not directly writing to the partition. This is normal behavior for network drives. Similarly, your Mac can write to an NTFS partition shared by a Windows 7 computer.

karter16

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't think MacBook could format it as exFat

um, yes it can.

----------

Hello, I got Aebs shared drive and has formatted it on MBA as extended journaled partition. It can save 10gb files so definitely not fat32 formatted. My understanding is that my 64 bit win 7 pc is not supposed to be able to add files to such partition but it does. Should I worry that such practice is prone to data corruption/loss? Sorry if posted to wrong forum.

Do you have the AirPort Utility for windows installed? That allows you to access shared files on an Airport Extreme mounted disk from windows computers - that would likely explain your scenario?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.