Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
I AM A APPLE GUY NOW
I am not hating on Apple I am only stating my thoughts and what I notice.

My friends that used to buy iphones are now all buying the Galaxy Note 2 or the Galaxy s3.
I WANT A LARGER SCREEN PHONE THAT IS EASIER TO READ AND USE AS A GPS!
I am waiting for my contract to allow me to buy a new product and will probably be leaving Apple also, and buying the Note 2 or 3 what ever is available at the time.
It seems to me Apple is short sighted in selling the iPad mini at exorbitant prices compared to the Google Nexus 7 and the Apple iPhone 5/mini phone-compared to other offerings by other Co. widely sold now.
If Apple sold the iPad Mini at a price close to the N7, I think it would put the rest out of business.
The Fire HD is terrible! The OS is crap!
I owned both the N7 and Fire HD for about 15 days.
I tried the iPad Mini in the store and liked it, but the price is too high! too few pixels and it is a little too big to fit in my cargo pocket with some type of protection on it to protect it when I drop it.
I feel the same way with the iPhone. Apple has forced people to leave by not selling a larger screen phone. I think most of these people will not come back to Apple and are now lost forever. The Jelly Bean version of Android OS is too good now and Apple has major competition as proved by sells (I think) and what I see around me.
Why not sell a mini phone like they have now and a larger version choice also?
I think I will go back to the Nexus 7 tablet.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The iPhone is exactly that, a phone. Why would would anyone want a phone the size of a brick that probably barely fits in their pocket? (ie. Galaxy Note)

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Most people are big enough to wear clothes that have full size or larger pockets and the G. Note 2 fits no problem. Hand size is, I assume a issue for much smaller than average people also.
For smaller people that I assume have proportionally smaller pockets, the what seems to be becoming the standard of larger screens may be a problem. I think the petite people or much smaller than average in the USA any way are exactly that and do NOT hurt the sales of not puny screen phones and tablets.
But again why not offer more than one size screen?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Most people are big enough to wear clothes that have full size or larger pockets and the G. Note 2 fits no problem. Hand size is, I assume a issue for much smaller than average people also.
For smaller people that I assume have proportionally smaller pockets, the what seems to be becoming the standard of larger screens may be a problem. I think the petite people or much smaller than average in the USA any way are exactly that and do NOT hurt the sales of not puny screen phones and tablets.
But again why not offer more than one size screen?

Because that would be expensive and segment people even further, not only would they have to choose size, they have to choose color storage and carriers and model.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Let me explain why.

Apple currently repairs iPhone 3Gs (and onward), distributes and manufactures iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and the iPhone 5.

At the moment, this is 26 different types of phones that they have to repair, create, distribute, etc. This doesn't sound high for a multinational, multibillion dollar company, but when you consider everything else they create and service, hundreds of computers, desktops, iPads, etc. It gets insane.

If they started offering iPhones with a 3.5, 4.0, 4.3, 4.7, 5.0 inch screen, in black and white, in 16, 32, 64, 128GB. The next iteration of the iPhone would add 40 different variations. To ONE actual 'revision' of phone. If you add colours like say, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. This bumps the numbers to 280 (!!!!!) Different phones which need to be processed and marketed and created and repaired properly. It becomes ridiculous. And it is really not needed. If you want a bigger screen, say goodbye to Apple and the perfect ecosystem and have fun with Android.

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
My thinking and I know I am not everyone but... I put my stuff in some type of protective case anyway so what do I care about color?
To me it seems short sighted and wasteful to not put your expensive hardware in some type of cover/case.
Since you do not see the color through the case I do not care at all what color the tablet or phone is.
I see people with broken screens all the time because they do not use some form of protection.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
My thinking and I know I am not everyone but... I put my stuff in some type of protective case anyway so what do I care about color?
To me it seems short sighted and wasteful to not put your expensive hardware in some type of cover/case.
Since you do not see the color through the case I do not care at all what color the tablet or phone is.
I see people with broken screens all the time because they do not use some form of protection.

I see people with broken screens or bent phones who used overpriced, overhyped cases as well.:D Mine has no case on it since day 1 and I just have a minor scuff from where I dropped my watch (!!!!) on it

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Let me explain why.

Apple currently repairs iPhone 3Gs (and onward), distributes and manufactures iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and the iPhone 5.

At the moment, this is 26 different types of phones that they have to repair, create, distribute, etc. This doesn't sound high for a multinational, multibillion dollar company, but when you consider everything else they create and service, hundreds of computers, desktops, iPads, etc. It gets insane.

If they started offering iPhones with a 3.5, 4.0, 4.3, 4.7, 5.0 inch screen, in black and white, in 16, 32, 64, 128GB. The next iteration of the iPhone would add 40 different variations. To ONE actual 'revision' of phone. If you add colours like say, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. This bumps the numbers to 280 (!!!!!) Different phones which need to be processed and marketed and created and repaired properly. It becomes ridiculous. And it is really not needed. If you want a bigger screen, say goodbye to Apple and the perfect ecosystem and have fun with Android.

Epic analysis, never thought of it that way.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Hey it works for them w/ the iPad family.

2 iPad sizes and 2 iphones sizes and 2 iPod Touch sizes for iOS devices. Adding in 5 different sizes for everything would only annoy developers and apple and manufacturers, hency why samsung usually has low selling phones and why android gets apps like years after the iOS version comes out, because they only have to develop for 2 sizes (3-4 now) while android has like everything from 2.5 to 5.5

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I AM A APPLE GUY NOW

My friends that used to buy iphones are now all buying the Galaxy Note 2 or the Galaxy s3.
I WANT A LARGER SCREEN PHONE THAT IS EASIER TO READ AND USE AS A GPS!
I am waiting for my contract to allow me to buy a new product and will probably be leaving Apple also, and buying the Note 2 or 3 what ever is available at the time.
It seems to me Apple is short sighted in selling the iPad mini at exorbitant prices compared to the Google Nexus 7 and the Apple iPhone 5/mini phone-compared to other offerings by other Co. widely sold now.
If Apple sold the iPad Mini at a price close to the N7, I think it would put the rest out of business.
The Fire HD is terrible! The OS is crap!
I owned both the N7 and Fire HD for about 15 days.
I tried the iPad Mini in the store and liked it, but the price is too high! too few pixels and it is a little too big to fit in my cargo pocket with some type of protection on it to protect it when I drop it.
I feel the same way with the iPhone. Apple has forced people to leave by not selling a larger screen phone. I think most of these people will not come back to Apple and are now lost forever. The Jelly Bean version of Android OS is too good now and Apple has major competition as proved by sells (I think) and what I see around me.
Why not sell a mini phone like they have now and a larger version choice also?
I think I will go back to the Nexus 7 tablet.

Again? I just don't get this persistent need to come on here and whine about this issue. Apple sells a phone with a 4 inch screen. That is well known and documented. If you need a phone with a bigger screen, go buy it.

Apple doesn't pay attention to these comment boards! No one here is going to be able to give you concrete answers as to why Apple makes the decisions they do. Whining here will accomplish nothing! Go buy the phone you want and have a happy life.

I have often heard that there are some people who aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. I have never understood that line of thinking, but I am starting to believe it is true. :confused:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I AM A APPLE GUY NOW

As cliché as they come. Anytime you feel like you have to curry favor by announcing what an Apple guy you are we all know the rest of your post is going to be anything but supporting Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Buy an iPad Mini. It carries iOS and is much larger than an iPhone and much smaller than an iPad. I think it should solves most of your issues.

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
The nexus 7 was only less than $100 cheaper than the iPad mini during introduction.
the Nexus 7 is:https://lh6.ggpht.com/KTNrfqYJyf5J_5BButgYZ1O39J5ADsj24sSwahJekI8vrULLra7ERyelDLjy7CiZ_NM=w180
$200 16gb, $250 wifi 32gb wifi and $300 32gb cellular

The iPad Mini is:
$330 16gb wifi
$430 32gb wifi
$560 32gb cellular

$260 more for the 32gb cellular version iPad
I know the iPad mini is possible LTE if Apple thinks the carrier is good enough and is lighter with a bigger screen. BUT the N7 is easier to read with more pixels and easier to hold along with fits in the cargo pocket better.
Also wifi is better on the iPad.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
2 iPad sizes and 2 iphones sizes and 2 iPod Touch sizes for iOS devices. Adding in 5 different sizes for everything would only annoy developers and apple and manufacturers, hency why samsung usually has low selling phones and why android gets apps like years after the iOS version comes out, because they only have to develop for 2 sizes (3-4 now) while android has like everything from 2.5 to 5.5

Samsung has low selling phones? That is why they posts record profits and the GS3 was the best selling smartphone last quarter? Also if Apple was forward thinking they would have built in resolution independence in iOS. Android Devs do not have to consider resolution when developing. Everything re sizes automatically.

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Again? I just don't get this persistent need to come on here and whine about this issue. Apple sells a phone with a 4 inch screen. That is well known and documented. If you need a phone with a bigger screen, go buy it.

Apple doesn't pay attention to these comment boards! No one here is going to be able to give you concrete answers as to why Apple makes the decisions they do. Whining here will accomplish nothing! Go buy the phone you want and have a happy life.

I have often heard that there are some people who aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. I have never understood that line of thinking, but I am starting to believe it is true. :confused:

Have you ever heard of a discussion/communication? The way you think that unless people agree with you they are whining must make you a lonely person.
Are you sure NO Apple people ever read Macrumors?
I have sent emails to Apple also saying the same thing.
What is the point of a forum if there is NO discussion? What does the word Forum mean to you?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Have you ever heard of a discussion/communication? The way you think that unless people agree with you they are whining must make you a lonely person.
Are you sure NO Apple people ever read Macrumors?
I have sent emails to Apple also saying the same thing.
What is the point of a forum if there is NO discussion? What does the word Forum mean to you?

True

I've got little doubt that different form factors are coming. The thing that Apple is going to do is work to minimize developer impact as new display sizes hit. Enter Auto Layout. While it's not perfect yet it's going to make creating more dynamic scalable UI easier. Give it another version or two to iron things out and we'll probably see the advent of a larger iPhone.

I do agree that larger phones are becoming more popular especially with the over 40 age groups. I'd bet that in two years we settle in at

4" screen for iPod Touch and the "slim" version of the iPhone.
5.x" screen for larger iPhone that's wider and a tad larger. Ideally Apple would want to split the launches so that roughly every 6 months someone would be able to purchase a new iPhone (meaning one slim launch a year and one larger launch per year)

I was just thinking the other day about how cool a 5.5 phone would be in a car dash. Just take your phone...mount it and control via BT or a specific link.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State

People are probably accusing you of whining not because of the content of your post but the tone in which it was delivered. Typing whole sentences in ALL-CAPS and using hyperbole like "exorbitant" just seem like whining.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
the Nexus 7 is:https://lh6.ggpht.com/KTNrfqYJyf5J_5BButgYZ1O39J5ADsj24sSwahJekI8vrULLra7ERyelDLjy7CiZ_NM=w180
$200 16gb, $250 wifi 32gb wifi and $300 32gb cellular

The iPad Mini is:
$330 16gb wifi
$430 32gb wifi
$560 32gb cellular

$260 more for the 32gb cellular version iPad
I know the iPad mini is possible LTE if Apple thinks the carrier is good enough and is lighter with a bigger screen. BUT the N7 is easier to read with more pixels and easier to hold along with fits in the cargo pocket better.
Also wifi is better on the iPad.

Did you catch the part of my post that said at introduction. When the N7 was introduced it was $249.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Samsung has low selling phones? That is why they posts record profits and the GS3 was the best selling smartphone last quarter? Also if Apple was forward thinking they would have built in resolution independence in iOS. Android Devs do not have to consider resolution when developing. Everything re sizes automatically.
Sold or shipped to store? I see no shortages in Samsung galaxy s3's anywhere and barely see anyone with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.