Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Yes, this. I'm one of the users in Japan that Apple seems to be disregarding. I'm by no means fluent- I can read kana, but I'm a beginner at Kanji, making the Japanese alternatives not very useful. Google was bilingual-Maps is not. I know I should be learning kanji, and I'm trying. However, I don't think that I deserve to be lost in the meantime. Maybe if I'd never have had the functionality it wouldn't have been a big deal, but it hurts now that I know what's missing. Besides, I'm sure there were countless tourists who used the GM before...

I know that Apple maps will one day be a major upgrade for most of the world, but right now it's a major downgrade. To those in the UK and in Europe, I feel your pain-but at least with the maps being in the Roman alphabet, you'll probably get it working much sooner than later. Here for Japan...Apple's going to have to partner with a local outfit to make headway with the language and address system, and I'm not sure that's something Apple would do-although I hope I'm wrong. Hubby and I are definitely well invested in the Apple ecosystem and I don't want to leave. But, if Apple wants to pretend that Japan is like the U.S., I may have no choice. But let me make it clear- I want to stay!

Can tell that Apple is regarding Japan as one of its main business locations from the way they talk about it during keynotes, I think they see potential there. Hopefully, they make changes there at a faster pace. Last time I compared Google and Apple maps, Google's one had Osaka divided into different provinces while Apple Maps did not, which I think is vital for a mapping solution. But from the looks of it, the satellite imagery is at least decent. My country's satellite image su*ks like hell...

Btw, if you want to use google maps on iOS 6, you can use the Maps+ app from the App store, it's quite nice.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Yeah it's only been out 2 months, but Scott made it looked like it was almost perfect during the keynote

You nailed it. Forstall talked Apple Maps up like it was going to be amazing. They hyped it and failed to deliver. Folks aren't generally used to that from Apple so it's that much more surprising.

I don't personally expect to see any major improvements to the data as a whole until the release of iOS 7. There will be small improvements here and there, but I think Maps on iOS 7 will be what Maps on iOS 6 should've been. Apple is likely using this time to negotiate a lot of contracts for (good) map data. Once they've got those contracts signed, sealed, and the data is delivered, I expect we'll see iOS 7 fairly quickly.

Jony Ive has likely been quietly designing his own version of iOS for years -- in his head, if nothing else. Those ideas are probably being flushed out pretty quickly now that Forstall is out of the picture; and Ive knows Apple truly needs to do something with the next major release that will be a revolutionary leap forward for iOS.

icemanzzz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
Got pretty on my location and places I go to with Apple Maps. I haven't been given any wrong info or wrong directions so far.

I am pretty excited for iOS 7 as well, now that Jony Ive is in charge.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Apple maps has not been bad for me in the States. It actually works with some mistakes. It is really the POI that is lacking

Under older pre 6 iOS, apple made the map interface but google provided the data base. In iOS Apple made a newer interface with excellent turn by turn. Too bad it dropped googles database.

It will get better. It does sound terrible outside the US, especially in the UK.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I don't personally expect to see any major improvements to the data as a whole until the release of iOS 7. There will be small improvements here and there, but I think Maps on iOS 7 will be what Maps on iOS 6 should've been. Apple is likely using this time to negotiate a lot of contracts for (good) map data. Once they've got those contracts signed, sealed, and the data is delivered, I expect we'll see iOS 7 fairly quickly.

Genuine question: who with?

Who's not already locked into contracts with other parties like Google or Nokia or Bing?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Genuine question: who with?

Who's not already locked into contracts with other parties like Google or Nokia or Bing?

I think Apple needs to have some data from Google; their own database is really insufficient and miserable... Really hope satellite imagery can be fixed asap, my country is full of iclouds....

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The POI's are terrible, and occasionally it misreads road directions etc.

However, have to say that the turn-by-turn directions when driving have been AMAZING. It has taught me new routes that I'd never ever driven before on journey I've taken for years.

Really, the turn-by-turn is a genuine revelation. Just add traffic updates and I'd forgive any of this Flyover stuff.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Really, the turn-by-turn is a genuine revelation. Just add traffic updates and I'd forgive any of this Flyover stuff.
Traffic works perfectly for me...a few days ago I checked Google before leaving work and the shorter route was jammed. And Apple Maps suggested me the longer route (showing mostly the same traffic info as Google).

This morning I actually saw "New Route" for the first time. Maps calculated the shorter route first, then after a few hundret meters, just before I need to decide if to head south or north it switched to the longer route.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Traffic works perfectly for me...a few days ago I checked Google before leaving work and the shorter route was jammed. And Apple Maps suggested me the longer route (showing mostly the same traffic info as Google).

This morning I actually saw "New Route" for the first time. Maps calculated the shorter route first, then after a few hundret meters, just before I need to decide if to head south or north it switched to the longer route.

Cool! How does that work? Never seen that - do I have to select an option first?

jjr74

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
The belief that iOS 7 is going to fix the issues with Maps is a major nonsense. The interface is considerably worse than that of Google but it is still "acceptable". The major issue is that the geographical data behind it is just plain ****. You don't need a new iOS to fix that, nor will a new iOS fix that in principle. What you need is to fix the geographical data and that is not happening AT ALL. I submitted bugs months ago, sometimes on several occasions : NOT A SINGLE ONE, as far as I can tell has triggered a correction. If that continues to be the case Maps will still be a piece of garbage by iOS 17.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The belief that iOS 7 is going to fix the issues with Maps is a major nonsense. The interface is considerably worse than that of Google but it is still "acceptable". The major issue is that the geographical data behind it is just plain ****. You don't need a new iOS to fix that, nor will a new iOS fix that in principle. What you need is to fix the geographical data and that is not happening AT ALL. I submitted bugs months ago, sometimes on several occasions : NOT A SINGLE ONE, as far as I can tell has triggered a correction. If that continues to be the case Maps will still be a piece of garbage by iOS 17.

I think the belief that ios7 will fix maps as stated on these forums has less to do with the "software" reasons you stated above and more with the fact that Apple should not even consider releasing a "major" update without those items being addressed at the same time.

Since they are server side anyway, it really shouldn't matter...but I have to imagine that they will release some sort of upgrade if not for PR reasons alone...."Maps now have night mode, POI's have been updated, blah blah blah..."

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
Time for another comparison: let's take a look at the quality of satellite images:

tbz3m.png

True, it's not the most important part of a maps application, but seeing this I can't help but feel taking a step back. Once again.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Time for another comparison: let's take a look at the quality of satellite images:

True, it's not the most important part of a maps application, but seeing this I can't help but feel taking a step back. Once again.

Yeah the satellite imagery is quite blur compared to Google's. Not to mention the color is also abit weird as well. Color distortion for Apple maps is really evident in many areas...

Not sure what Apple is gonna do, but I'm sure Eddy is working around the clock to remedy it. Ok, at least his team is... :p

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
If this was the final version, you would have every right to be disappointed

Spoken like a true fanboy. So iOS 6 is in beta? Of course it's final! It's the only option that millions of users have to deal with on a daily basis.

The problem is that now, the general opinion is that maps on iPhones are unreliable. And that's going to take a few iterations of iPhone to fix. Or - a very good Google Maps app.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Spoken like a true fanboy. So iOS 6 is in beta? Of course it's final! It's the only option that millions of users have to deal with on a daily basis.

The problem is that now, the general opinion is that maps on iPhones are unreliable. And that's going to take a few iterations of iPhone to fix. Or - a very good Google Maps app.

I agree. Apple did not put Maps in beta like they did with Siri, so its assumed to be the final version. A very bad final version IMO, and the rate of repair is insanely slow, at least in my country.

The official Google maps will be salvation for all of us iOS 6 users. Although there are currently many US users who are satisfied with Apple maps.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
A few pages back I speculated that Apple Maps could be potentially dangerous. Predictably, the fanboys laughed. Now look http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.c1441426bef1f8acfab75b89f3927416.471

I'm just surprised something like this had not happed already.

I'm also amazed that the clueless fanboys are still defending Apple Maps, although they do seem a little less vocal now that staff have been fired and Tim Cook has admitted on more than one occasion they made a complete mess of it.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
A few pages back I speculated that Apple Maps could be potentially dangerous. Predictably, the fanboys laughed. Now look http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.c1441426bef1f8acfab75b89f3927416.471

I'm just surprised something like this had not happed already.

I'm also amazed that the clueless fanboys are still defending Apple Maps, although they do seem a little less vocal now that staff have been fired and Tim Cook has admitted on more than one occasion they made a complete mess of it.

Hah...thank God for your warning...:rolleyes:

No one has defended Apple or said that there weren't issues beyond their own area/experience that I have seen once in this entire thread.

I believe though that the point was made many times that there are many incorrect poi's and direction exames on Google's maps as well (and entire web pages dedicated to them).

People are stupid... There is a very big gap between "could have died" and "died" as given in the example you posted.

Of course, you'll claim I'm "defending Apple" by the mere fact of me making this post when this example is nothing more than media hype based on a policeman's statement and no examples or statements from anyone this actually happened to.

Heb 7:4

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
Ahhhh....the snarky remarks all looking for their +1's..

I don't know what a +1 is. Didn't really mean to be snarky, I was just having a wee laugh at you, the biggest apple maps apologist there has been on this thread, making such a comment. I'm amazed your head didn't explode with the cognitive dissonance of it! Have you thought about applying for the job as Iraqi information minister? ;)

iraqi_information_minister_small680.jpg

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Okay...up arrows...up votes...whatever...

I'm defending common sense.....I refuse to defend the stupidity of people.

If everyone knows how bad Apple maps truly are (especially in certain areas of the world) then I have very little sympathy for their getting lost when even Apple has offered up alternatives, most of which are free.

Being sick of these stupid reports of "nearly dying" or "could of/would of/should of" scenarios and complaints on here is getting old.

Even I don't trust Apple Maps enough to use them blindly when I might be late or am worried about possibly traveling into a dangerous area....and they have been perfect for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.