Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

Far Cry 3

It's been getting stellar reviews! Anyone picking it up?

I absolutely loved Far Cry 2, even though a lot of people hated it. I thought it was really immersive (especially with the music turned off!), and I spent countless hours just roaming around, exploring the beautiful landscape, sniping guards, setting stuff on fire.

Far Cry 3 looks like it will be right up my alley as well. The tropical setting seems a little "flashier", but it looks beautiful. And it seems like they have a good story and characters this time - something part 2 was lacking!

There's a chance I might find this game under the christmas tree...if not, I'll definitely pick it up soon after.
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:29 AM   #2
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

The adverts say, "Like Skyrim with guns!".

Sold.

Got one on pre-order!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Yep. Already pre-ordered from Amazon.

Looks like they fixed the big issue I had with FC2, which was the damn constant guard respawns every time you walked around the corner.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:32 AM   #4
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Yep got it coming on PC.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
I have it ordered for the PS3 and I hope its not to much like Skyrim because that got boring fast. I'm really interested in the stealth(trying a stealth run first) and then I'll go guns blazing. I really hope it doesn't get boring with the silly side missions...fetch quest etc.

Bless
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:32 PM   #6
spoon man
macrumors 6502a

I got it last night on PS3 had a 2hr blast on it, it's very pretty and nicely done so far I've only seen a tiny amount of the island and done about 3 missions and 2 hunter missions and 1 assassination.

The weapon customization is pretty good along with player upgrade progression all in all it seems to work very well, they have changed it in many ways since FC2.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Dagless
macrumors Core

I'd like this, don't know whether to pick it up on PS3 or PC. How well optimised is it on PC, and does it have that awful Always-On DRM? I've got a good machine but unoptimised code is unoptimised code.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Dagless
macrumors Core

Picked up the PC version (well, had an American buddy gift me a copy since it's not on Steam in the UK!). Only played the first mission but first impressions - wow. I totally dismissed this after seeing the first trailer. Love the characters and gameplay.

It runs amazing on PC too. I thought I'd be on medium on my iMac, running it at very/ultra high and at 60fps. Pleasantly surprised by how good this port is.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:40 PM   #9
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
I'm downloading it as we speak from Ubisoft. AMD's Never Settle Promo was great. Now if they just worked on their audio drivers!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:00 AM   #10
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Still waiting for my copy to arrive

In meantime I downloaded Max Payne 3 on Steam (all 30 frickin GB) and I absolutely hate it. The presentation with the weird flickering and strobing effects and weird Bourne Ultimatum style editing..

Hated hated hated it...

I just hope FarCry 3 doesn't leave me as filled with such hatred....
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:34 AM   #11
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Still waiting for my copy to arrive

In meantime I downloaded Max Payne 3 on Steam (all 30 frickin GB) and I absolutely hate it. The presentation with the weird flickering and strobing effects and weird Bourne Ultimatum style editing..

Hated hated hated it...

I just hope FarCry 3 doesn't leave me as filled with such hatred....
"Haters gonna hate!"

Sorry, I read that on the internets somewhere, seemed like a hip thing to say.

I keep hearing more and more positive things about FC3, so chances are pretty good I will own this before the year is over.
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:38 AM   #12
panda bear
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
The adverts say, "Like Skyrim with guns!".

Sold.

Got one on pre-order!
Oh really? Maybe I need to check that out, then.

Though, I was told almost the same thing about Fallout 3/New Vegas and I wasn't really a fan.
panda bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:00 PM   #13
spoon man
macrumors 6502a

Anyone had chance to use the Bow?, if not its worth a go and very satisfying
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:04 PM   #14
EnVyCaLiBeR
macrumors newbie

GOTY for me. Hands down.

Haven't even gone through it completely and I'm still firmly convinced that it's the best game I've played this year. The shear amount of detail, the great cast of characters and antagonists (Vaas is fantastic. That first scene with him is bone chilling) , the amount of tasks available to do, the variety of weapons and the abilities that you gain over time and just how satisfying combat is overall makes it my game of the year. And I'm not even done yet. Wow.

Behind this, I got Dishonored but this has easily taken the cake for me.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:57 PM   #15
spoon man
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVyCaLiBeR View Post
GOTY for me. Hands down.

Haven't even gone through it completely and I'm still firmly convinced that it's the best game I've played this year. The shear amount of detail, the great cast of characters and antagonists (Vaas is fantastic. That first scene with him is bone chilling) , the amount of tasks available to do, the variety of weapons and the abilities that you gain over time and just how satisfying combat is overall makes it my game of the year. And I'm not even done yet. Wow.

Behind this, I got Dishonored but this has easily taken the cake for me.
Yeah I can see what you mean the only real game that I've enjoyed this year is Borderlands 2 but I completed that within 3 weeks getting it,but this game has totally blown me away. Well apart from the random animals that seem to attack me out of nowhere I can't fault it, I wanna still give Hitman and Dishonored ago but I can't see me putting this down for a while and BF3 for online gaming so I dont need much else.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:08 PM   #16
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon man View Post
Yeah I can see what you mean the only real game that I've enjoyed this year is Borderlands 2 but I completed that within 3 weeks getting it,but this game has totally blown me away. Well apart from the random animals that seem to attack me out of nowhere I can't fault it, I wanna still give Hitman and Dishonored ago but I can't see me putting this down for a while and BF3 for online gaming so I dont need much else.

You guys are making me jealous. My copy still hasn't arrived but Hitman did today for PC.

Looks great on My Mac Pro (1920x1080 on Ultra setting FXAA enabled) but biggest problem with it is that some of the mission scoring systems are totally asinine.

Replayed a mission 5 different ways including going really elaborate and the game basically punishes you with a scoring system when it thinks you are going against the 'developers' optimal path.

Kind of makes 'free choice' redundant and takes away some of the joy in experimenting tbh.

How is FarCry 3 with dealing with 'free choice' at approaching missions ? Is there a optimum path or are you really free to play it as you wish?

Dishonoured gave you some free choice but by tailoring its ending so that only if you played stealthy and non lethal did you get the best ending, obviously falls into the same trap as laying down an optimal path.

I actually got lucky with Dishonoured, a steam save corruption right at the last mission meant I only had to play the final mission stealthy and non lethal in order to get the best ending
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:33 PM   #17
EnVyCaLiBeR
macrumors newbie

Quote:
You guys are making me jealous. My copy still hasn't arrived but Hitman did today for PC.

Looks great on My Mac Pro (1920x1080 on Ultra setting FXAA enabled) but biggest problem with it is that some of the mission scoring systems are totally asinine.

Replayed a mission 5 different ways including going really elaborate and the game basically punishes you with a scoring system when it thinks you are going against the 'developers' optimal path.

Kind of makes 'free choice' redundant and takes away some of the joy in experimenting tbh.

How is FarCry 3 with dealing with 'free choice' at approaching missions ? Is there a optimum path or are you really free to play it as you wish?

Dishonoured gave you some free choice but by tailoring its ending so that only if you played stealthy and non lethal did you get the best ending, obviously falls into the same trap as laying down an optimal path.

I actually got lucky with Dishonoured, a steam save corruption right at the last mission meant I only had to play the final mission stealthy and non lethal in order to get the best ending
So far, I've been limited in one mission to where I had to use a flamethrower (won't tell you why so I won't spoil it for you) but even in that instance, I had a blast. Outside of that, you are welcome to use any weapons you want. Whether you want to be a stealthy player or whether you want to be the guns blazing type, there are guns, weapons and abilities that you get and learn that tailor to your play style. So yes for the most part you are able to tackle missions as you please.

For me, I've been using the Bow with arrows for long range combat and baiting enemies by throwing rocks so I can set them up for stealthy knife kills. If neither of those work, I always have a silenced pistol with me. And that's just scratching the surface as to just how much freedom you have with your play style.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:00 PM   #18
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Those Komodo dragons in the woods are a bitch. I ran out of ammo and one of the damn things chased me 200 yards down the road before I finally got away.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:10 PM   #19
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Those Komodo dragons in the woods are a bitch. I ran out of ammo and one of the damn things chased me 200 yards down the road before I finally got away.
Yeah they're definitely nasty! I've found that if you drive around in a vehicle the rebels tend to not bother you as much which is nice. The story isn't terribly interesting in the game but it's not a bad game. I do wish there was an easier way to tell where your kills died at. Sometimes I can never find the bodies if I'm shooting from afar. Not sure if they've despawned or I just can't find them in the tall grass.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:14 PM   #20
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
Yeah they're definitely nasty! I've found that if you drive around in a vehicle the rebels tend to not bother you as much which is nice. The story isn't terribly interesting in the game but it's not a bad game. I do wish there was an easier way to tell where your kills died at. Sometimes I can never find the bodies if I'm shooting from afar. Not sure if they've despawned or I just can't find them in the tall grass.
I have had the same problem with finding animals I killed. I finally killed a goat so I could make the weapon sling, and never could find his body to claim the hide. I wish they had a Assassins Creed III type system where a little paw would point up out of the grass so you could find your kills.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:43 PM   #21
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I have had the same problem with finding animals I killed. I finally killed a goat so I could make the weapon sling, and never could find his body to claim the hide. I wish they had a Assassins Creed III type system where a little paw would point up out of the grass so you could find your kills.
That'd be nice. At least mark it on the mini map. I've had a few animal corpses roll down a hill.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:24 PM   #22
spoon man
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I've not fully explored the island just yet I'm only on mission 5 I've completed more notice board missions so far. But as in taking missions on with your own free choice is pretty good I was surveying an island that I wanted to capture from a boat, I took out all but 1 of the pirates out on the island from the boat with a sniper rifle,which was pretty ninja. I did have a moment on the boat when I thought I wounder how far out to sea I can go with this boat before I get turned around?.

Last edited by spoon man; Dec 6, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
spoon man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:28 PM   #23
TedM
macrumors 6502

Let me know what you think of it once you have tried it. I'm quite interested in a game thats like skyrim with guns. I hope the modding community is just as amazing.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:34 PM   #24
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
Let me know what you think of it once you have tried it. I'm quite interested in a game thats like skyrim with guns. I hope the modding community is just as amazing.
There will likely be some mods, but not a ton. Far Cry 3 has no mod tools like Skyrim does.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:03 PM   #25
TedM
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
There will likely be some mods, but not a ton. Far Cry 3 has no mod tools like Skyrim does.
Yea but they always end up releasing the modding tools after the modding community has been up and creating mods for months. I'm never really sure how they do it, I just hope there are plenty of mods.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games