Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated Final Cut Pro [Mac App Store] to version 10.0.7, bringing a number of bug fixes and other improvements.
This update improves overall stability, performance and compatibility including:

- The Letterbox effect "Offset" slider has been restored
- Fixes an issue when creating a single layer DVD
- Fixes an issue where some third-party effects could cause Final Cut Pro to hang during background rendering
- Fixes an issue where some third-party transitions would incorrectly use black instead of source media
- Adds support for editing MXF files that are still ingesting
- Fixes an issue rendering Motion Templates containing Image Units
final_cut_pro_compressor_motion_icons.jpg
The company also issued a minor update to Compressor [Mac App Store] to address an issue with uploading large videos to Vimeo and an update to Motion [Mac App Store] fixing several issues.

Article Link: Apple Updates Final Cut Pro, Compressor, and Motion with Bug Fixes

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
10.0.6 just came out with a massive amounts of features, so this is nice to see they are improving performance and issues as well.

At this point, all I want is a "library" feature like aperture has so different libraries can exist above events/projects. Having a forced unified library makes no sense. Having an option to use different "libraries" is the answer.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
" But Apple doesn't care about Pro users anymore"

Downloading now. Next year should be fun with the next round of significant enhancements and hopefully Logic Pro X.

:apple:

519tbarr

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Logic Pro is approaching almost the same amount of time that Acid Pro has not been updated. 3 to 4 years between DAW updates is insane.
Final Cut Pro X is slowly moving in a more positive direction. My guess is we will see a Final Cut 11 in the not too distant future.
Gotta get the user base back!

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Logic Pro is approaching almost the same amount of time that Acid Pro has not been updated. 3 to 4 years between DAW updates is insane.
Final Cut Pro X is slowly moving in a more positive direction. My guess is we will see a Final Cut 11 in the not too distant future.
Gotta get the user base back!

I don't think Apple is an any hurry to move to 11 in anything. The X is more marketing than anything. XI just doesn't have the same cachet.

M

Mr.damien

10.0.6 just came out with a massive amounts of features, so this is nice to see they are improving performance and issues as well.

At this point, all I want is a "library" feature like aperture has so different libraries can exist above events/projects. Having a forced unified library makes no sense. Having an option to use different "libraries" is the answer.
Improving issues ? :D

tjwaido

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
The wild west.
Make FCPX media manager similar to Aperture Libraries

Hell Yeah! This was a topic I posted in Apple's Support Group only a day ago and no one has replied.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20499233#20499233

tjwaido

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
The wild west.
I don't think Apple is an any hurry to move to 11 in anything. The X is more marketing than anything. XI just doesn't have the same cachet.

Yup, no FCPXI will ever be in the future. That is why we see the 10.0.7 update. The middle number (0) represents major updates, and that can go to infinity. We will not see a FCPX 10.1.0 update till 2020, and Apple will probable make "revolutionary video editing" changes that are a "major breakthrough in video editing", and all the FCPX lovers will experience the same crappy transition all us FCP7 lovers experienced.

Still waiting for audio-crossfade keyboard short cuts. Only pros know what those are.

tjwaido

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
The wild west.
They don't have to change anything other than add a folder above the events/projects in the finder. It is very simple to implement.

Posting there does nothing for feedback requests...tell Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I send my feedback every day.

Having Events and Projects in two locations is not efficient or a "FCPX revolutionary" idea. Combining both into one folder and into one Browser window would be more effective. Having the ability to create a Sequence (FCPX Compound Clip workaround) and having that in the same event location makes a lot of sense versus having multiple client and family projects in the Project Library window. The "old way" of FCP7 and the current way of Aperture Libraries is the best way. It would be a grand idea if Apple software engineers actually collaborated together.

Library structure idea:

Final Cut Documents (ability to rename to Client Video Library)/Clients/Projects/Sequences, Original Media, Rendered Files, Transcoded Files, Auto Save, etc.

Client Video library could have multiple clients, multiple projects per client, and multiple sequences per project.

Final Cut Documents (ability to rename to family video library)/Year/Event/Sequences, Original Media, Rendered Files, Transcoded Files, Auto Save, etc.

Family Video library could have multiple years, multiple events per year, and multiple sequences per event.

All depended media, renders, transcoded media, sequences, auto saves, would be stored in the project/event folder of the respected client or family library.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Want to test out the Vimeo large video fix as I have had to export then send to Vimeo. This will save the dual rendering

-AG-

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Austalia

Maybe FCPX 10.1.0. but Version 11 is a long way off yet.

Reasoning being FCP1 was released back in 98 with full number releases over the life of the application. The times between updates varied also for example there was 2 years between FCP6 and FCP7, FCP ended up being around for 14 years in one iteration or another.

Seems though they technically rebuilt FC with the introduction of FCPX so we could say that its a new application on a new timeline.

Because of this we could probably see upwards of 10 years out of the software before FCP11.

This could be achieved by using the incremental 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 releases as the same as how the older FCP package went from FCP1, FCP2, FCP3 etc.

Either way im just happy for the updates.

sdh1982

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2007
"Motion failed to download" -- about 15 times so far.

Anyone else?

Stuck on installing, been like that for an hour, cant restart my computer yet though, but i expect im going to have to to try again. Had nothing but trouble with Motion 5 since tuesday, when it seems like many other people also started experiencing the same issue. Been having to delete my layout preferences each time before using Motion, otherwise i cant get a canvas to show up. Hoped this fix would sort it out, not mess it up more.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Did you know

Did you know that every time they update FCPX you can get another 30 free trial. So some people have been able to work for 7 months with the trial version and now they get another month! How generous.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Did you know that every time they update FCPX you can get another 30 free trial. So some people have been able to work for 7 months with the trial version and now they get another month! How generous.

I think that could be nice if you are a student or similar, but I hope any professional using it can afford to fork over the $300 or whatever it costs now. Otherwise you are hardly a pro I suppose

----------

I started using it again after the last update as I was forced over to Premiere to edit my RED footage natively. Now FCX has a better implementation than Premiere has. It takes a bit getting used to, but I have to say Premiere looks so dated when I use it now. Some things are so fast in FCX, other things I haven't got my head around yet. I need to we it more

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
My biggest want is being able to manually assign where projects and render files are stored, regardless of where that device may be.

My second biggest want is being able to manually choose any resolution I want for my project, not just variants of 4:3 and 16:9.

Other than that, it's starting to get down to the details for me.

tjwaido

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
The wild west.
My biggest want is being able to manually assign where projects and render files are stored, regardless of where that device may be.

This demand seems to be popping up recently and I hope it comes in the next major update, and I believe the solution is bringing back sequences and making FCPX similar to the Aperture Library.

The major issue has been the removal of Sequences from FCPX and the separation of Events and Projects. I really think Events and Projects are the same, but Events pertains to family videos and Projects pertains to clients.

FCPX says Projects are FCP7 sequences, and I want to see them restore Sequences (creating a Compound Clip is a FCPX Sequence workaround). Make sequences depended of client projects/family events with the ability to have multiple sequences per project/event such as a wedding video, highlight reel, menu page, etc. I can't stress to Apple enough that the Project Browser Window/Folder should be merged into the Event Browser Window/Folder and Sequences would be found in the dependent client project/family event. This is how FCP7 worked and it worked extremely well having all dependent media and sequences centralized in one location.

Examples:

user/Movies/Client Video Library/Client(s)/Project(s)/Sequence(s), Auto Saves, Original Media, Render Files, Transcoded Media...

Ability to have multiple clients per library, multiple projects per client, and multiple sequences per project. Dependent Auto Saves, Original Media, Rendered Files, Transcoded Media, etc, would be found in the project folder.

user/Movies/Family Video Library/Year(s)/Month(s)/Events(s)/Sequence(s), Auto Saves, Original Media, Render Files, Transcoded Media...

Ability to have multiple years per library, multiple months per year, multiple events per month, and multiple sequences per event. Dependent Auto Saves, Original Media, Rendered Files, Transcoded Media, etc, would be found in the event folder.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.