Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyCodez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
I'm just wondering what sites/forums/ ect are the best places to promote your application? Of course I tried to pawn off purchasing my app on facebook with friends and such. Also on the app store forum on this site.

But other than that what is the best places to post information about your app? I emailed tuaw.com about doing a review. Haven't heard anything as of yet.

Thanks for your import :)

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Who is your target buyer?

Look at that. As well as alternative users who you might not have originally intended but who might could use your app in a way beyond your original intention.

I assume it is the app listed in your signature. If So I would suggest education forums, and schools. My daughter said roughly half of her friends have ipods or phones, when I finish mine I most certainly will look into that route. But mine is more entertainment for now, once the $ starts coming in then I want to look int ocreating some educational tools.

I am sort of in the same boat , I have heard that you can submit your aps for review with online review sites, but other than that, and forums that cater to your target demographic, I am not sure myself. If money were no object I would suggest advertising, but I know in my case it is so I want to rely on as much word of mouth as possible.

DaveSW

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
-Google/Yahoo/Bing PPC
-Smaller blogs (they might be more interested in reviewing your app, than say tuaw or techcrunch, etc.)

AndyCodez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks for the input guys, I'll have to do some more research then :)

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I'll have to do some more research then ...

A better time to do this research is before you start developing an app. Why bother to create an app, if you don't know what type of people would want to buy it, and how you would get them to notice that your app even exists?

If your potential customers read some specific blog or magazine, for instance, you might be able to research if you can get (or buy) that bloggers/magazines attention before you start coding.

If you have no clue who your potential customers might be, you have an even bigger problem.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
A better time to do this research is before you start developing an app. Why bother to create an app, if you don't know what type of people would want to buy it, and how you would get them to notice that your app even exists?

If your potential customers read some specific blog or magazine, for instance, you might be able to research if you can get (or buy) that bloggers/magazines attention before you start coding.

If you have no clue who your potential customers might be, you have an even bigger problem.

I have always made my apps for me (or for someone who's paying me.) If I'm not making it for myself (or making money while developing it,) I lose interest within a few weeks. Sometimes the resulting apps have no market (and that's when I discover I'm basically alone in an interest in something,) while others have been fairly successful, if I do say so myself.

... I need another successful app... I'm just realizing that my latest one turns one year old in a few weeks...

Gomeapps

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Review Sites

I'm a new app developer and researched my market prior to releasing my app. Unfortunately, my app is low ranking in the App Store searches, so I am using trial and error to market outside of the App Store itself.

Here's a link you may find useful: http://maniacdev.com/2012/05/ios-app-review-sites/

It is a huge list of review sites. I posted to as many free sites as I could. Out of the many emails, there were only a few responses, but any bit helps!

My next step is to target specific blogs and request to post as a guest blogger about my experiences releasing my app and what problems my app solves for users.

I'll post back if that strategy is successful. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Best place to promote your app is macrumors.com....

Very true!

I get quite a few hits from this site its a great place to promote.

@AndyCodez
It is very important to know your market and do research before developing. There are over 1000 flashcard apps on the app store. Unless you do something that the others dont it is going to be very very hard to get noticed without large amounts of marketing $$ (20k+).

I have a flashcard app too but it also allows users to create multi-choice quizzes so it stands out a bit but not as much as I wish it did lol.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I'm a new app developer and researched my market prior to releasing my app. Unfortunately, my app is low ranking in the App Store searches, so I am using trial and error to market outside of the App Store itself.

Here's a link you may find useful: http://maniacdev.com/2012/05/ios-app-review-sites/

It is a huge list of review sites. I posted to as many free sites as I could. Out of the many emails, there were only a few responses, but any bit helps!

My next step is to target specific blogs and request to post as a guest blogger about my experiences releasing my app and what problems my app solves for users.

I'll post back if that strategy is successful. Good luck!

thank you very much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.