Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Ladies and Gentlemen I really would like you opinion on this matter. Some of you know I've rebuilt a Hackintosh that I'm quite fond of. It's and i7 (2700K) in an Asus Z77 Sabertooth with 32GB RAM with a 560Ti 448 housed in an OD Green Corsair Vengeance C70 powered buy a 630W BeQuiet PS it's OC'd and is stupid fast. I also own a Mac Pro 1,1 thats been flashed to 2,1 courtesy of Netkas has 2 x5355's and a 4870 with 16GB or RAM. Both will do what I need and both are frigging sexy. I need to fund project TJ (see pic) so one has to go which do you sell?

Not to add pressure to anyone but me but one should hit ebay.de tonight...

Attachments

• Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 100

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
In general, I feel like custom built PC machines never really sell for the value of their parts.

Also, Apples hold their value surprisingly well.

I'd probably sell the MP just because you'd probably get more resale value out of it than the PC. Also the PC is more future-proof and easily upgraded.

Actually, what *I* would REALLY do is sell both computers AND the TJ, then buy a new Mac Pro, a BMW motorcycle, and an AR-15! :cool:

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Sell the Custom Rig and Keep the Mac Pro. I use to be into custom PCs, but now I'll stick with the  solution.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
In general, I feel like custom built PC machines never really sell for the value of their parts.

Also, Apples hold their value surprisingly well.

I'd probably sell the MP just because you'd probably get more resale value out of it than the PC. Also the PC is more future-proof and easily upgraded.

Actually, what *I* would REALLY do is sell both computers AND the TJ, then buy a new Mac Pro, a BMW motorcycle, and an AR-15! :cool:

I'm and "old" Infantryman who works for the Army as a civilian and because the command and 1SG of our HHC think I'm OK for a civilian I get to shoot whenever they do..I just recently "qualified" on the M4, M9, M240B, and M249.

My very German wife who is in charge says no more motorcycles until my daughter is an adult so that sorta knocks the cool bike out…

The toys have to fund themselves and well the Jeep is a toy even though it will be my DD

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
But there are SO MANY wonderful motorcycling roads over there. And by working for the Army, even as a civilian contractor, I believe you get that great discount the soldiers get for BMWs.

I am chomping at the bit to get over there and ride. Maybe 2014.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
But there are SO MANY wonderful motorcycling roads over there. And by working for the Army, even as a civilian contractor, I believe you get that great discount the soldiers get for BMWs.

I am chomping at the bit to get over there and ride. Maybe 2014.

Not a contractor I'm a federal employee..

There are many GREAT roads for motorcycles as well as bicycles (my other hobby) but my 7 yo. will think the Jeep is the best thing ever and my house is motorcycle less I think it reminds my wife of our time in Hawaii of which she was not fond the jeep will have to do.

in about a decade I'll reconsider the motorcycle idea but until then I value peace from the wife.

Come 2014 depending on what you do I may be able to give you a bit of help if
your looking to come my way. I'll either be heading for the states (alone) or will have found a job on the German economy or with MWR. In any case I'm pretty well connected at at this point so let me know and I'll see if I can help.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Thanks, I appreciate the offer! However, I have family working there in K-town and I'd just let them arrange everything for me.

I seem to have completely derailed this thread.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Thanks, I appreciate the offer! However, I have family working there in K-town and I'd just let them arrange everything for me.

I seem to have completely derailed this thread.

you have derailed this thread and that's OK...

K-Town really?? Rheinland-Pfaltz? come join me where the beer is good, the women beautiful, the mountains are big, and the German melodic..

Bavaria :D

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Ladies and Gentlemen I really would like you opinion on this matter. Some of you know I've rebuilt a Hackintosh that I'm quite fond of. It's and i7 (2700K) in an Asus Z77 Sabertooth with 32GB RAM with a 560Ti 448 housed in an OD Green Corsair Vengeance C70 powered buy a 630W BeQuiet PS it's OC'd and is stupid fast. I also own a Mac Pro 1,1 thats been flashed to 2,1 courtesy of Netkas has 2 x5355's and a 4870 with 16GB or RAM. Both will do what I need and both are frigging sexy. I need to fund project TJ (see pic) so one has to go which do you sell?

I'd sell the Mac Pro. Even with a flashed firmware, those first gen Mac Pros are starting to show their limitations. No PCIe 2.0 is a real bummer.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I'd sell the Mac Pro. Even with a flashed firmware, those first gen Mac Pros are starting to show their limitations. No PCIe 2.0 is a real bummer.

You hit the nail on the head..but the hard way..

It's somewhat difficult to explain when your German isn't all that great that it's a MP from '06 but really is like an '07 but slower..

This is the thing that has kept the MP off ebay, I'm just not sure that it's sale-able at a decent price because it's so far from what it really is. The hack is easier in that respect

Gaming PC
Corsair Vengeance c70
32GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1600Mhz
i7 @2700K 4.6 multipier BCLK 103
GTX 560Ti 448
Asus Z77 Sabertooth
630W Be!Quiet PS
Noctua D14 CPU cooler.

All parts still under warranty, have all receipts and original boxes..

My guess is MP 700Euro (for the reasons you specify along with mods) but any MP is guaranteed to sell

Hack 1100 euro (ebay sold search) but not as likely to go, nor as quickly.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You hit the nail on the head..but the hard way..

It's somewhat difficult to explain when your German isn't all that great that it's a MP from '06 but really is like an '07 but slower..

This is the thing that has kept the MP off ebay, I'm just not sure that it's sale-able at a decent price because it's so far from what it really is. The hack is easier in that respect

Gaming PC
Corsair Vengeance c70
32GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1600Mhz
i7 @2700K 4.6 multipier BCLK 103
GTX 560Ti 448
Asus Z77 Sabertooth
630W Be!Quiet PS
Noctua D14 CPU cooler.

All parts still under warranty, have all receipts and original boxes..

My guess is MP 700Euro (for the reasons you specify along with mods) but any MP is guaranteed to sell

Hack 1100 euro (ebay sold search) but not as likely to go, nor as quickly.

The Hackintosh is likely far more useful than the Mac Pro given how much newer the internal technology is. This is why I'd sell the Mac Pro.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
The Hackintosh is likely far more useful than the Mac Pro given how much newer the internal technology is. This is why I'd sell the Mac Pro.

Good rational call..these are the things I am unable to do with cars, computers, and watches they are all very emotional for me.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Sell the mac pro. And beef up the jeep. Wish I had my current 4 door jeep when I was stationed there from 92 to 95. Miss the place for sure. Lived next to Landstuhl, based at baumholder. Wonderful memories. Where are you able to wheel? I brought a 6 wheel amphib with me and was unable to ride anywhere.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Sell the mac pro. And beef up the jeep. Wish I had my current 4 door jeep when I was stationed there from 92 to 95. Miss the place for sure. Lived next to Landstuhl, based at baumholder. Wonderful memories. Where are you able to wheel? I brought a 6 wheel amphib with me and was unable to ride anywhere.

Only the drivers skill course at the local training area. I came here in '05 when I got out and with short exceptions I haven't been back. I do prefer it here than home.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Another alternative to consider looking at is how much the Hackintosh might be worth if you were to break it down to sell it as individual parts (IIRC, you mentioned that they're all still under warranty).

-hh

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
you have derailed this thread and that's OK...

K-Town really?? Rheinland-Pfaltz? come join me where the beer is good, the women beautiful, the mountains are big, and the German melodic..

Bavaria :D

My German geography is not that great. I think K-Town stands for Kaiserslautern. Not sure about those other places you mention.

My German geography is learned from WWII movies, where Steve McQueen escapes a POW camp in the East and a short motorcycle ride later is at the Swiss border. Therefore, Germany must be about 20-30 miles wide.

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012

Love the Jeep, you ever make it out to Moab? I live about 4hrs away in SLC and try to make the trip down there every summer.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
My German geography is not that great. I think K-Town stands for Kaiserslautern. Not sure about those other places you mention.

My German geography is learned from WWII movies, where Steve McQueen escapes a POW camp in the East and a short motorcycle ride later is at the Swiss border. Therefore, Germany must be about 20-30 miles wide.

K-Town is Kaiserslautern it's 2ish hours north of me when I'm at work in Stuttgart and 3 hours NW of me at home. My heart lies in Garmisch riight on the Austrian border.

----------

Love the Jeep, you ever make it out to Moab? I live about 4hrs away in SLC and try to make the trip down there every summer.

I haven't lived in the states since 2005 and even then it was Hawaii. I left CONUS in 2003 so it's been a really long time.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
My heart lies in Garmisch riight on the Austrian border.
I haven't lived in the states since 2005 and even then it was Hawaii. I left CONUS in 2003 so it's been a really long time.
Me and the family learned how to ski down there. Awesome place. Lucky you to live in such a great place. Sounds like you were at schofield barracks. My first duty station. Great 4 wheelin over there. Good luck on your decision on the sale.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
So after a weekend of indecision, I decided to sell the hack. It's faster just as quiet, more energy efficient and has to go.

The thing is I love the build, the parts selection, worrying over the details but when it's done the fun is gone.

We'll see, it's not going to break my heart if it doesn't go but it's been listed for less than an hr and has three watchers.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA

I'd defiantly sell Project TJ..... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.