Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Exaggeration, of course.

Obviously, because it's from a meme. You know, the entire "Nokia 3310's are indestructible" thing that started last year.

hFOJR.jpg

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Yes, deception is a game Apple plays.

It's a well known fact, but rarely acknowledged by the Apple Faithful.

They're far more comfortable in denial.

Do I expect mil-spec? Absolutely not.

Do I expect a high quality durable finish? Yes I do.

Phones I currently own and are activated:

iPhone 5
iPhone 4S (my fav iPhone)

Nexus 4
Galaxy S III
Galaxy Note II (my fav Android)

So, what was Apple's deception in this case? How did they lie?

Please give examples of statements they've made and a contrary fact discovered.

Document, I would remind you. My rebuttal will be relentless.

----------

Obviously, because it's from a meme. You know, the entire "Nokia 3310's are indestructible" thing that started last year.

I musta missed it. Some of us have lives beyond trolling the web looking for cellphone memes. ;)

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
I have to admit, the black 4 and 4S looked as good as the white one. Now the black 5 looks crappy compared to the white one.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I'm gonna cut to the point here.

Apple makes products that look good initially, but are super susceptible to damage.

Examples: MacBook Pros & Airs, iPads, iPhones (4, 4S, 5), and the iPod Touch.

They are easily scratchable, dented, cracked, etc.

Think about it: have you EVER seen an Apple product that uses aluminum high quality enough, to where it doesn't easily scratch? Even if they're not as sensitive as defective iPhone 5s, they're STILL easily scratched.

Pick up a Nexus 7 and an iPad, and look at the back. Then ask yourself which one you'd feel more comfortable setting on a table, maybe even sliding it along the table, etc. I'm guessing you'll say the Nexus 7. Why? Because the back isn't made with anodized aluminum!

I'd love it if Apple started making their devices with plastic, rubber, leather, etc. Something more scratch/dent resistant than what they use now.

We have to face it, Apple clearly hasn't put damage-resistance at the top of their priorities list. I find it interesting how people mention the iPhone feeling more high quality. Yeah, it may look good now, but it could look a lot worse later on. And if you decide to put a case on it to protect it, you cover the device's beauty (unless it's a bumper). Kinda lame, isn't it?

Doing normal day-to-day things can scratch your Apple devices. It's annoying to me. I don't want to worry about how I set my MacBook Air down, because I may scratch the sides. I don't want to need a case on my phone in order to protect it from small scratches.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

Apple makes products that look good initially, but are super susceptible to damage.

BS.

I have a MB from 2007. Still works.

I have an iPhone 4. Still works.

I have a first gen iPad. Still works.

I have a first gen iPod touch. Still works.

Obviously there's some wear and tear on this stuff but no more than I have on any of my non-Apple gadgets. Apple stuff has always been durable and well built in my experience.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

iPhone 5 - yes
iPod Touch - hell yes
iPads - ??? I dropped my iPad 3 from 5 feet height to concrete ground and just one of the corner was dented (yes I put a Tunewear softshell & the Smart Cover on it...)
MacBook Airs & Pros are quite sturdy IMO.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
So, what was Apple's deception in this case? How did they lie?

Please give examples of statements they've made and a contrary fact discovered.

Document, I would remind you. My rebuttal will be relentless.

It seems that you have misunderstood my post.

I made a general statement, based on over 20 years as an Apple loyalist, enthusiast, and high volume customer. That statement was:

"Once you've been around Apple for awhile you become accustomed to their deception".

While nothing comes to mind most specifically, nor did I say they are always deceiving, they indeed have practiced deception in well documented cases. Besides it's not as though other companies haven't, let's be clear about that.

Therefore in this case, I was not referring to the iPhone 5's finish, but to Apple. Taken in context (if you look back at the post) it's obvious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.