Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Productivity:
Pages
Numbers
Keynote
iPhoto

Fun:
Infinity Blade II
Epoch.
Rage HD
Tiger Woods Golf
HBO Go (free with your HBO subscription)
Hulu+ (have to pay a subscription fee)

As some of the other people have said, if you're patient you can get most apps at a discount, except the :apple: branded apps. They're never discounted.

jrtdot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
So it seems like a consensus on some of the apple based apps especially Pages. I may be bringing this to school so I would assume this might be a no brainier especially since it is also compatible with word which is good. Thanks for the input, anyone else can freely put their two cents in I'm always game to look into new or undiscovered apps,

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
if you havent played swordigo. do it now!! its my favorite action/adventure game on the ipad and i cant believe i forgot to mention it in my above post. Its a side scroll that feels just like zelda.
I'm 80% of the way through this right now and loving it.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
So it seems like a consensus on some of the apple based apps especially Pages. I may be bringing this to school so I would assume this might be a no brainier especially since it is also compatible with word which is good. Thanks for the input, anyone else can freely put their two cents in I'm always game to look into new or undiscovered apps,

If you are looking for an iPad version of Pages or Word you will be sorely disappointed. Pages lacks many features needed to produce reasonable documents. It is good for entering text and moving it to a desktop program for formatting but not for producing final copy, IMHO.
Keynote is very nice, OTOH.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
My favourite paid ones are

iAnnotate (PDF reading and annotation)
Notability (note taking, especially hand written and audio notes)
Backgammon HD (best backgammon app I've found)
iPhoto
Star Chart (FUN app)
123D Sculpt (FUN app)
Circus Ponies Notebook (writing notes, I really like the interface and you can sync it with your mac)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
iPhoto is a must just for the Journal feature. Helped me out massively with the canning of "Gallery" on MobileMe.

If you're interested in Space, "Brian Cox Wonders of the Universe" is a beautiful App on the Retina screen.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Surprized no one mentioned Kingdom Rush for games. This little addictive app has paid for itself many, many, many times over.

EDIT: My apologies. It WAS mentioned, so just let me add my recommendations.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
For me,

Notability
Sente
iAnnotate
Backgammon
Pages
iThoughtsHD
and probably OmniFocus, too.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
If you are going to visit Macrumors's forums often, I recommend Tapatalk.

which one? i just looked and see there are 2 available... a tapatalk universal and a new tapatalk HD (that is a lot more expensive)

thanx

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Generally speaking, most of the apps are great values in comparison to their
OS X or Windows counterparts (Android doesn't even rate :D )

That said, just use the reviews in iTunes like you would any other online shopping megastore. I use these reviews constantly (i'm really a review addict).

Unlike movie reviews (which are worthless), app reviews aren't all that subjective; although I said "most apps are good values", a lot of them are total junk and don't work correctly, or are rip-offs. Here's where the reviews can come in handy.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
which one? i just looked and see there are 2 available... a tapatalk universal and a new tapatalk HD (that is a lot more expensive)

Neither. I have both and they can provide quicker access to supported forums when it works, but they break frequently. And both have pretty funky UI.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Like to play sports or make brackets? Checkout my apps =) or if you want you can pm me and I will send you a promo code =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.