Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors

Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
How do I load programs onto my PowerBook 520c?

Hi! My PowerBook 520c is functioning perfectly and has ~225 MB of disk space. How do I load a program onto multiple floppies on MacOS 8 (I can't fit the entire program on one floppy)? I have a TiBook with Mac OS X 10.4 using a USB floppy drive.
I can't use AppleTalk, my modem doesn't have one of those phone jack cables.
If there's no way to load it onto multiple floppies, how do I do that without floppies (No SCSI or ADB cables, though)?
Or is there no way to do this?
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:50 PM   #2
David Schmidt
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to David Schmidt
You will want to get an AAUI-15 transceiver and get it on your network.
David Schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:28 PM   #3
tdiaz
macrumors 6502

That's if the Titanium Powerbook is running some kind of compatible networking that the 520 can see. Otherwise ..

As for what can't fit on a floppy, what is it you've got that is too big for one disk? Use the disk as a vehicle, like multiple loads across town when moving. Put stuff on more than one, move it, and copy it all back to the same place when loading onto the 520.
tdiaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiaz View Post
That's if the Titanium Powerbook is running some kind of compatible networking that the 520 can see. Otherwise ..

As for what can't fit on a floppy, what is it you've got that is too big for one disk? Use the disk as a vehicle, like multiple loads across town when moving. Put stuff on more than one, move it, and copy it all back to the same place when loading onto the 520.
Thanks... the problem is that I don't have DropSegment on either Mac, which means that I can't segment files on my TiBook, and I can't unsegment them on my 520c.
Tumblr
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

Do you have OS 9 loaded on the TiBook in addition to 10.4? If so, you can boot into OS 9 and use "Classic" Mac OS file sharing to have the two talk to each other with an AAUI adapter. Bonus: With the AAUI adapter, you can get the PowerBook on the Internet!

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Freak View Post
Do you have OS 9 loaded on the TiBook in addition to 10.4? If so, you can boot into OS 9 and use "Classic" Mac OS file sharing to have the two talk to each other with an AAUI adapter. Bonus: With the AAUI adapter, you can get the PowerBook on the Internet!
Thanks. I think I might just get the AAUI adaptor anyways, even though I found a program, Compact Pro, that works great and it transferred files beautifully between my TiBook and 520c. I have a clamshell iBook with MacOS 9, so I have that to use. Thanks!
Tumblr
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

The USB Floppy drive I was using on my TiBook went bad. I'm going to buy the AAUI adaptor. The 520c is working nicely -- it's a great form factor, and it's perfect for simple text editing. I think I'm using it almost as much as my TiBook .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0095.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	384285  
Tumblr

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors