Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:35 PM   #226
LizKat
macrumors 68020
 
LizKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Catskill Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
Change is scary.
Right, and one may not know immediately if it's adaptive change or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FishInTheDesertNewYorker2008Jan07.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	378395  
LizKat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:33 PM   #227
KaraH
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
But Tim Cook said there would be a major pro update next year. If I was in the market for a pro, I would wait. The last minor update was just because intel could no longer supply last years chips.
Based on their track record with the pro I would not hold my breath on both the refresh being on time and it being worth the wait.

I cringe that my only real choice is an iMac. Oh, there is a huge market for it, but they are pretty much shoving anyone who wants something bigger than a mini into the same machine.

Your BTO options change it slightly (screen size, how much memory, and so on) but with a real tower your options are so much more. It is pretty obvious that someone who makes a living with computers just might need more of a machine than a grandmother sharing articles on facebook.
KaraH is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:59 PM   #228
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
Well I guess you know better than Apple, only they have the multi-billion dollar company.
Hey man, I mean no personal disrespect, but that was a very stupid thing for you to have said. I'm sure you're smarter than that. Yes, they are a multi-billion dollar company, but that doesn't mean that they always make decisions that are in the best interest of the consumers buying their products. Just because they'll buy them anyway doesn't mean that Apple is making the best decisions for those that pay their salaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
Look, Imac isn't the only choice in town. Those that feel it's too thin, or too hot, or missing optical etc, aren't forced to buy one.
If you need a desktop running OS X, and a Mac mini, for whatever reason or practical application, doesn't cut it, and if a Mac Pro is either too old or too overkill, and if there are factors that make a Hackintosh not a viable option, then an iMac really is the ONLY option. It's not like they make any other OS X capable desktop in between the mini and the Pro. If you want a desktop with that degree of muscle, it is your only option. Yes, you could just buy a PC, but for the purposes of having an OS X-laden machine, that's not a valid argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshApples View Post
I like the fact that people think heat is the only problem in the new imac where custom builts have many problems and yes I know u get more performance for ur buck but my bucks will go to the electricity bill every month and if I was more concern about performance I would waste more on watercooling materials or LN2 if I was that crazy and had no life and lets not forget another piece of furniture in the house waiting to collect money or dust. So quit crying about heat on the new imac and be blessed that they are working hard and tirelessly on keeping a gtx 680mx 122w tdp undercontrol and still have a sleek and beautiful display which apple is well known for so you can upgrade with style not a huge toaster collecting money or dust to make a user happy with it, which is not the direction of the future im looking at, is going.
If you can afford a 21.5" iMac, let alone a 27" iMac, the difference in cost of your computer's electric bill for a custom-built desktop is a laughably negligible amount. Even with a custom desktop using more power, you're STILL saving money in the long run.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:13 PM   #229
crackbookpro
macrumors 65816
 
crackbookpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Om nom nom nom
There is some indirect marketing to be had... Apple is trying to let you know their stance on Blue-Ray, by not even offering a cd/dvd-drive, so we hush about the Blue-Ray questioning now & don't even mention it.

Apple is letting you know their thoughts about the cd world... they think its gonerz...
__________________
iMac 21.5" l 3.06GHz l 4GB RAM ~ iMac 24" l 3.06GHz l 4GB RAM
MBA 11" l 1.6GHz l 4GB RAM ~ Alu Uni MacBook l 2.4GHz l 4GB RAM
iPhone 5 ~ iPad 2 ~ TV ~ BlackBook [RIP]
crackbookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:16 PM   #230
GPUFreak
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarkness View Post
The Mac Mini isn't a gaming machine, the iMac isn't a gaming machine, then what Mac actually IS a gaming machine?
None of them is. No Mac is, or will be, a gaming machine.
GPUFreak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:51 PM   #231
Icaras
macrumors 601
 
Icaras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPUFreak View Post
None of them is. No Mac is, or will be, a gaming machine.
All my iMacs in the past have all served me well as gaming machines, and so will be my soon to be 2012 iMac.
__________________
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) iPad Air iPhone 5 Apple TV (3rd Generation) Airport Time Capsule OS X Yosemite iOS 7 Logic Pro X
Icaras is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:12 PM   #232
clyde2801
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dany74m View Post
I think its an awesome machine and soon I will replace my 2011 Imac. I agree that cd/dvd are not so usefull anymore, but at least I was hoping for a bluray writer. I think there are still many people that burn cd/dvd, and professional that need to burn bluray like me. Of course I can use an external one, but the beauty of the Imac was also to have a powerfull and complete compact workstation without having so much cables running around.
Selling a good 2011 model to buy this one?

You: money>sense.
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, 2012 base 11" MBA, late 2011 2.4 i7 17" MBP, 16 gb ram, Crucial M4 512gb SSD
clyde2801 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:24 PM   #233
pyzon
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Personally I don't hate the iMac, have a 24". What makes me sound like I dislike is when I reply to any threads I've read about complaints like, not enough ports, too thin, too thick, glued screen, not user serviceable, backlight bleed, not enough internal ssd space, odd shaped box etc ..etc...ad naseum....

You've seen it on the apple store you've seen it in the apple store, you know what it's like, can do, can't do, hardware inventory etc..why now complain...

If you've bought one and are complaining did you research what you were buying? If you've not bought one and are complaining....why?

If you are like me and and never intend getting one why do you post...:-) on that note I've kicked myself off this thread...
pyzon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:25 PM   #234
turtlez
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
isn't it funny that people just assume computers are for games lol
turtlez is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:05 PM   #235
CaptMike
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
The device is only thin on the edges. The back is almost as thick as the 2011 one. Even then, it has a GTX 680 MX video card which is brilliant. Did anyone want a desktop one? Did they expect one in the 2011 form factor? Is it even possible? And we don't know for sure if it has heating issues. The thin edges make it look sleek, and is still as powerful as one would want in an all in one,

27 inch still has removable ram slots, and we don't know yet for sure if the hard drive can or cannot be upgraded. Only 21 inch users can whine for that.

And why the complaints of the 21 inch version using a 5400 rpm drive? Isn't there a 128Gb SSD which stores the apps and the OS? What noticeable disadvantage would a 5400 rpm drive make?

And the lack of cd drive is a disadvantageľ for the minority. Seriously, for most people, CDs are used very unoften. So a cheap external one can do it when needed. And for those who use it a lot, it's a disadvantage. But still for a minority. And I chonestly can't think of a disadvantage of a cheap third party CD drive on a desktop. No one has to lug it around. It's only pulled out of the draw when needed.

I still think its a marvellous machine and an absolute beauty.
No, only 1 has the option for the GTX 680 MX video card and that is not acceptable. Why do only have a option for the largest, bulkiest, and intrusive model to get that?
CaptMike is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:07 PM   #236
adildacoolset
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
No, only 1 has the option for the GTX 680 MX video card and that is not acceptable. Why do only have a option for the largest, bulkiest, and intrusive model to get that?
Simply put: the largest, bulkiest model is the only one that can properly fit the card in. Physics is something apple isn't excused from
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:21 PM   #237
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a
 
inscrewtable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
I don't think many people looked at the 2011 iMac and said "I wish it was thinner and lighter"
I don't think many people looked at the G5 imac when it came out and said, "I wish it had a one piece curved aluminium back with seamless glass front. So what is your point?
inscrewtable is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:17 AM   #238
CoreyLahey
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
All my iMacs in the past have all served me well as gaming machines, and so will be my soon to be 2012 iMac.
You, and probably a huge number of Mac owners as well. I don't understand why some people here are so hellbent on convincing people not to use their Macs for gaming. The computers are obviously capable of it, and I frankly don't care if somebody wants to build themselves a water-cooled AI to clean their rear end - as long as they're not trying demand everybody should do it their way. (I also had this great metaphor with TP and such, but I'm more careful since my account got suspended a while ago, due to my mentioning of horse genitalia.)

Another thing that crossed my mind when thinking about gaming machines are those gaming laptops/desktop replacements, which also use mobile GPUs. Those things must be bought by hardcore gamers, no? Since the iMac uses the fastest mobile GPU in the world right now, wouldn't it also be the most hardcorest gaming machine of them all? I think so and hence demand people sell their ice dragon breath cooled PC rigs and order the new iMac right away.
CoreyLahey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:47 AM   #239
JoeG4
macrumors 68020
 
JoeG4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay Area, Ca.
Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
I don't think many people looked at the G5 imac when it came out and said, "I wish it had a one piece curved aluminium back with seamless glass front. So what is your point?
I never found the white iMacs visually appealing, but the white iMacs were awesome as far as access went! However, I was really excited about the one piece LCD in the new iMacs (easier to disassemble! YAY!) until I heard it was glued on.

Ok, they use double sided tape that.. hopefully remains easy to remove with time. However, I bet pulling off the dried up, cracked old tape on a 5 year old "broken iMac" to replace the hard drive will be a really unpleasant experience.

That said, I really liked the 2011 iMacs. They looked fine, and the screens were easier to remove. Because I haven't seen a new iMac in person yet, I can't really comment on its appearance, but from the pictures that bulge in the back looks mighty silly. I'll probably still end up going with those to replace my family's aging machines, but I dunno *sigh*
__________________
I've been a huge fan of Mac OS X since 2001!
JoeG4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:57 AM   #240
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a
 
inscrewtable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG4 View Post
...
I bought a 2011 27" 3.4GB refurb from apple and stuck 32GB of ram in the sucker, knowing that I was going to skip the next iMac anyway. The Haswell iMac should be the one to go for anyway.

I'll be putting a 512 SSD in soon and looking at the online videos I'm glad it's got magnets. Having said that we may see a return to magnets in the Haswell iMacs.
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:02 AM   #241
Astroturf777
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
mac mini

PERSONALLY, i checked the specs on launch - after 'knowing' i would finally have an imac, i do love the form factor of the imacs, however the upgrades are just too pricey. so i went with the MINI... upgraded to the 2.6 i7 - which is in the top 51 (read 51st) fastest processor - surrounded by xeons. first thing i did was pull it to bits, install dual hdd kit, oh and 16GB ram. the machine is crazy fast, scores 12953 on geek bench (better than a MBP). the GPU is nothing to whine about for my usage. i understand it's low end but really didnt build this box for gaming. the whole job (including a 27" dell IPS) cost under the cost of a BASE 27 iMac, and was an easy upgrade.
Astroturf777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:31 AM   #242
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
I don't think many people looked at the G5 imac when it came out and said, "I wish it had a one piece curved aluminium back with seamless glass front. So what is your point?
It isn't something Apple should have done.

I think that was pretty clear.
__________________
2011 27" 3.4Ghz i7 iMac, 16GB RAM, 2TB HD, 2GB 6970m
Sue De Nimes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:42 PM   #243
kazmac
macrumors 68000
 
kazmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Beyond the Door...
very sobering

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
You know, there is just a great deal of hate in the world in general it seems. You see this on virtually everything from new cars to new TV's. People just like to complain.

----------



Exactly!!!! mind bending....

Actually this is my favorite comment:

"Anyone prefer not to have the edge thin due to the fat bulge?"
really?? wow. I guess this guy works from behind.
LOL! Thank you xgman for a funny quote and bringing this sometimes cranky/sometimes indecisive Mac user down to earth.

After all the iMac agida I went through in 2010, I swore off future iMacs on this forum since then. However, comparing the new iMac to last years and my 2010, I feel I get a good deal more bang for my buck for a couple of hundred less for what I've paid in the past. I'm over future proofing. When iMacs work, they work wonderfully and I'm confident they will continue to work that way for me. The news that some are being assembled in the USA again also changes my outlook of this particular Mac.

You can teach a long time Mac user new tricks: like if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks again for the clarity boost.
kazmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:49 PM   #244
Icaras
macrumors 601
 
Icaras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
It isn't something Apple should have done.

I think that was pretty clear.
Sorry, i disagree. I think Apple did excellent on the redesign.
__________________
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) iPad Air iPhone 5 Apple TV (3rd Generation) Airport Time Capsule OS X Yosemite iOS 7 Logic Pro X
Icaras is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:28 PM   #245
forty2j
macrumors 68030
 
forty2j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
If you ask 25 regular users what they want, you'll get 25 opinions, some of them will conflict, and all of them will be awful.
__________________
 2012 iMac 3.2GHz 27" 680MX Fusion  iPhone 5  Apple TV 2  iPad 2 
forty2j is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:55 PM   #246
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a
 
inscrewtable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
It isn't something Apple should have done.

I think that was pretty clear.
Why should it not be thinner and lighter all items that are produced by any company over many years always get smaller and more streamlined as the technology gets better.

It is obvious that apple is moving away from optical media, even in their macbook pro range, the screen technology is now laminated and there has been progress with regards to friction stir-welding.

Therefore it is clear and obvious that the design will be thinner and lighter. You may have complaint's about the ODD but your attributing its removal to not fitting in the new design is incorrect. Do you think the macbook pros left out the ODD because they wouldn't fit, or same with the airs?

The reason Apple made the new iMacs so thin and light is because they can.

Last edited by inscrewtable; Dec 6, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:10 PM   #247
JoeG4
macrumors 68020
 
JoeG4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay Area, Ca.
Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
I wouldn't call optical media archaic or outdated just yet. Outside of regular hard drives, a good blu-ray backup is 25gb, small, cheap, compact, and will last at least as long as an SSD backup would. You also don't have to worry about the drive not wanting to spin up the next time you try using it (unlike an HD), or worrying about dropping it quite as much as you would an HD.
__________________
I've been a huge fan of Mac OS X since 2001!
JoeG4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:16 PM   #248
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPUFreak View Post
None of them is. No Mac is, or will be, a gaming machine.
It depends on what you want to be playing. For Team Fortress 2 and StarCraft II, just about any Mac will be more than capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
All my iMacs in the past have all served me well as gaming machines, and so will be my soon to be 2012 iMac.
The flip-side to my previous argument: you must not be playing that many games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Selling a good 2011 model to buy this one?

You: money>sense.
Welcome to forums.macrumors.com, most people here will replace their computer after two rev cycles and claim that their old computer was running on its last legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
No, only 1 has the option for the GTX 680 MX video card and that is not acceptable. Why do only have a option for the largest, bulkiest, and intrusive model to get that?
Because that card generates more heat than the smaller Macs can properly allow for...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
It isn't something Apple should have done.

I think that was pretty clear.
For a desktop, I agree, the machine ought to be thicker, not thinner. But given that they made it thinner, then tape/glue aside, at least as far as the 21.5" iMac is concerned, it's an improvement on reliability. I'm reserving judgement on the 27" iMac until it's been in the wild for a little longer and until we have proper tear-down pics of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
Sorry, i disagree. I think Apple did excellent on the redesign.
You are obviously not a technician or someone who cares about the internal design of their machine then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
Why should it not be thinner and lighter all items that are produced by any company over many years always get smaller and more streamlined as the technology gets better.

It is obvious that apple is moving away from optical media, even in their macbook pro range, the screen technology is now laminated and there has been progress with regards to friction stir-welding.

Therefore it is clear and obvious that the design will be thinner and lighter. You may have complaint's about the ODD but your attributing its removal to not fitting in the new design is incorrect. Do you think the macbook pros left out the ODD because they wouldn't fit, or same with the airs?
Desktops do not need to be made thinner. The only benefit from making them thinner is aesthetics. I'd much rather a better performing computer that will last longer than a prettier computer that's thinner. I see no reason why such an attitude is not sensible on my part.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:54 PM   #249
Ubele
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
Why should it not be thinner and lighter all items that are produced by any company over many years always get smaller and more streamlined as the technology gets better.
Except for cars - they usually get bigger and heavier each year (albeit with more-efficient engines).
Ubele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:03 PM   #250
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a
 
smoking monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
It isn't something Apple should have done.

I think that was pretty clear.
Um, why is it something Apple should not have done? It's not clear to me. It's actually quite the opposite for me. I thought it was obvious they would try and make it thinner.

It's called the evolution of technology. It will continue to get thinner. Just like ALL other tech on the market including computers. We certainly haven't reached a thin threshold yet. In fact, I'd say we are a long way off it.
__________________
G3 450 B&W, K-Lime iBook G3/466SE, PB G4 867(Ti), G4 800 DP(QS), PB G4 1.5 17 (Al), iPT 1G, 08 24 iMac, MBP 09 17, iP3Gs, iPad1&2, iP4s, '12 27 iMac, iP5s, rMBP(H) 15", Air.
smoking monkey is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hate the Gays, Hate the Capitalists Christian right steals rights. steve knight Politics, Religion, Social Issues 4 May 1, 2014 02:18 PM
Love and hate my imac liquorice iMac 7 Dec 9, 2013 06:17 AM
General: I hate it when this happens glsillygili Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 3 Apr 25, 2013 01:35 AM
Don't Hate the Player! Hate the Game! Unlimited Upgraded and kept Unlimited Data! Romeoc1984 iPhone 44 Oct 21, 2012 04:18 PM
Apple and Samsung Moving into 'Hate-Hate' Relationship MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 206 Oct 17, 2012 10:58 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC