Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

Attachments

• FishInTheDesertNewYorker2008Jan07.jpg
    FishInTheDesertNewYorker2008Jan07.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 90

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
But Tim Cook said there would be a major pro update next year. If I was in the market for a pro, I would wait. The last minor update was just because intel could no longer supply last years chips.

Based on their track record with the pro I would not hold my breath on both the refresh being on time and it being worth the wait.

I cringe that my only real choice is an iMac. Oh, there is a huge market for it, but they are pretty much shoving anyone who wants something bigger than a mini into the same machine.

Your BTO options change it slightly (screen size, how much memory, and so on) but with a real tower your options are so much more. It is pretty obvious that someone who makes a living with computers just might need more of a machine than a grandmother sharing articles on facebook.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well I guess you know better than Apple, only they have the multi-billion dollar company. ;)

Hey man, I mean no personal disrespect, but that was a very stupid thing for you to have said. I'm sure you're smarter than that. Yes, they are a multi-billion dollar company, but that doesn't mean that they always make decisions that are in the best interest of the consumers buying their products. Just because they'll buy them anyway doesn't mean that Apple is making the best decisions for those that pay their salaries.

Look, Imac isn't the only choice in town. Those that feel it's too thin, or too hot, or missing optical etc, aren't forced to buy one.

If you need a desktop running OS X, and a Mac mini, for whatever reason or practical application, doesn't cut it, and if a Mac Pro is either too old or too overkill, and if there are factors that make a Hackintosh not a viable option, then an iMac really is the ONLY option. It's not like they make any other OS X capable desktop in between the mini and the Pro. If you want a desktop with that degree of muscle, it is your only option. Yes, you could just buy a PC, but for the purposes of having an OS X-laden machine, that's not a valid argument.

I like the fact that people think heat is the only problem in the new imac where custom builts have many problems and yes I know u get more performance for ur buck but my bucks will go to the electricity bill every month and if I was more concern about performance I would waste more on watercooling materials or LN2 if I was that crazy and had no life and lets not forget another piece of furniture in the house waiting to collect money or dust. So quit crying about heat on the new imac and be blessed that they are working hard and tirelessly on keeping a gtx 680mx 122w tdp undercontrol and still have a sleek and beautiful display which apple is well known for so you can upgrade with style not a huge toaster collecting money or dust to make a user happy with it, which is not the direction of the future im looking at, is going.

If you can afford a 21.5" iMac, let alone a 27" iMac, the difference in cost of your computer's electric bill for a custom-built desktop is a laughably negligible amount. Even with a custom desktop using more power, you're STILL saving money in the long run.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
There is some indirect marketing to be had... Apple is trying to let you know their stance on Blue-Ray, by not even offering a cd/dvd-drive, so we hush about the Blue-Ray questioning now & don't even mention it.

Apple is letting you know their thoughts about the cd world... they think its gonerz... :rolleyes:

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I think its an awesome machine and soon I will replace my 2011 Imac. I agree that cd/dvd are not so usefull anymore, but at least I was hoping for a bluray writer. I think there are still many people that burn cd/dvd, and professional that need to burn bluray like me. Of course I can use an external one, but the beauty of the Imac was also to have a powerfull and complete compact workstation without having so much cables running around.

Selling a good 2011 model to buy this one?

You: money>sense.

pyzon

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Personally I don't hate the iMac, have a 24". What makes me sound like I dislike is when I reply to any threads I've read about complaints like, not enough ports, too thin, too thick, glued screen, not user serviceable, backlight bleed, not enough internal ssd space, odd shaped box etc ..etc...ad naseum....

You've seen it on the apple store you've seen it in the apple store, you know what it's like, can do, can't do, hardware inventory etc..why now complain...

If you've bought one and are complaining did you research what you were buying? If you've not bought one and are complaining....why?

If you are like me and and never intend getting one why do you post...:) on that note I've kicked myself off this thread...

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
The device is only thin on the edges. The back is almost as thick as the 2011 one. Even then, it has a GTX 680 MX video card which is brilliant. Did anyone want a desktop one? Did they expect one in the 2011 form factor? Is it even possible? And we don't know for sure if it has heating issues. The thin edges make it look sleek, and is still as powerful as one would want in an all in one,

27 inch still has removable ram slots, and we don't know yet for sure if the hard drive can or cannot be upgraded. Only 21 inch users can whine for that.

And why the complaints of the 21 inch version using a 5400 rpm drive? Isn't there a 128Gb SSD which stores the apps and the OS? What noticeable disadvantage would a 5400 rpm drive make?

And the lack of cd drive is a disadvantage– for the minority. Seriously, for most people, CDs are used very unoften. So a cheap external one can do it when needed. And for those who use it a lot, it's a disadvantage. But still for a minority. And I chonestly can't think of a disadvantage of a cheap third party CD drive on a desktop. No one has to lug it around. It's only pulled out of the draw when needed.

I still think its a marvellous machine and an absolute beauty.

No, only 1 has the option for the GTX 680 MX video card and that is not acceptable. Why do only have a option for the largest, bulkiest, and intrusive model to get that?

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I don't think many people looked at the 2011 iMac and said "I wish it was thinner and lighter"

I don't think many people looked at the G5 imac when it came out and said, "I wish it had a one piece curved aluminium back with seamless glass front. So what is your point?

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
All my iMacs in the past have all served me well as gaming machines, and so will be my soon to be 2012 iMac.

You, and probably a huge number of Mac owners as well. I don't understand why some people here are so hellbent on convincing people not to use their Macs for gaming. The computers are obviously capable of it, and I frankly don't care if somebody wants to build themselves a water-cooled AI to clean their rear end - as long as they're not trying demand everybody should do it their way. (I also had this great metaphor with TP and such, but I'm more careful since my account got suspended a while ago, due to my mentioning of horse genitalia.)

Another thing that crossed my mind when thinking about gaming machines are those gaming laptops/desktop replacements, which also use mobile GPUs. Those things must be bought by hardcore gamers, no? Since the iMac uses the fastest mobile GPU in the world right now, wouldn't it also be the most hardcorest gaming machine of them all? I think so and hence demand people sell their ice dragon breath cooled PC rigs and order the new iMac right away.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I don't think many people looked at the G5 imac when it came out and said, "I wish it had a one piece curved aluminium back with seamless glass front. So what is your point?

I never found the white iMacs visually appealing, but the white iMacs were awesome as far as access went! However, I was really excited about the one piece LCD in the new iMacs (easier to disassemble! YAY!) until I heard it was glued on.

Ok, they use double sided tape that.. hopefully remains easy to remove with time. However, I bet pulling off the dried up, cracked old tape on a 5 year old "broken iMac" to replace the hard drive will be a really unpleasant experience.

That said, I really liked the 2011 iMacs. They looked fine, and the screens were easier to remove. Because I haven't seen a new iMac in person yet, I can't really comment on its appearance, but from the pictures that bulge in the back looks mighty silly. I'll probably still end up going with those to replace my family's aging machines, but I dunno *sigh*

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010

I bought a 2011 27" 3.4GB refurb from apple and stuck 32GB of ram in the sucker, knowing that I was going to skip the next iMac anyway. The Haswell iMac should be the one to go for anyway.

I'll be putting a 512 SSD in soon and looking at the online videos I'm glad it's got magnets. Having said that we may see a return to magnets in the Haswell iMacs.

Astroturf777

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
mac mini

PERSONALLY, i checked the specs on launch - after 'knowing' i would finally have an imac, i do love the form factor of the imacs, however the upgrades are just too pricey. so i went with the MINI... upgraded to the 2.6 i7 - which is in the top 51 (read 51st) fastest processor - surrounded by xeons. first thing i did was pull it to bits, install dual hdd kit, oh and 16GB ram. the machine is crazy fast, scores 12953 on geek bench (better than a MBP). the GPU is nothing to whine about for my usage. i understand it's low end but really didnt build this box for gaming. the whole job (including a 27" dell IPS) cost under the cost of a BASE 27 iMac, and was an easy upgrade.:)

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012

It isn't something Apple should have done.

I think that was pretty clear.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
very sobering

You know, there is just a great deal of hate in the world in general it seems. You see this on virtually everything from new cars to new TV's. People just like to complain.

----------

Exactly!!!! mind bending.... :mad:

Actually this is my favorite comment:

"Anyone prefer not to have the edge thin due to the fat bulge?"
really?? wow. I guess this guy works from behind.:rolleyes:

LOL! Thank you xgman for a funny quote and bringing this sometimes cranky/sometimes indecisive Mac user down to earth.

After all the iMac agida I went through in 2010, I swore off future iMacs on this forum since then. However, comparing the new iMac to last years and my 2010, I feel I get a good deal more bang for my buck for a couple of hundred less for what I've paid in the past. I'm over future proofing. When iMacs work, they work wonderfully and I'm confident they will continue to work that way for me. The news that some are being assembled in the USA again also changes my outlook of this particular Mac.

You can teach a long time Mac user new tricks: like if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks again for the clarity boost.:)

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
If you ask 25 regular users what they want, you'll get 25 opinions, some of them will conflict, and all of them will be awful.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010

Why should it not be thinner and lighter all items that are produced by any company over many years always get smaller and more streamlined as the technology gets better.

It is obvious that apple is moving away from optical media, even in their macbook pro range, the screen technology is now laminated and there has been progress with regards to friction stir-welding.

Therefore it is clear and obvious that the design will be thinner and lighter. You may have complaint's about the ODD but your attributing its removal to not fitting in the new design is incorrect. Do you think the macbook pros left out the ODD because they wouldn't fit, or same with the airs?

The reason Apple made the new iMacs so thin and light is because they can.

Last edited:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I wouldn't call optical media archaic or outdated just yet. Outside of regular hard drives, a good blu-ray backup is 25gb, small, cheap, compact, and will last at least as long as an SSD backup would. You also don't have to worry about the drive not wanting to spin up the next time you try using it (unlike an HD), or worrying about dropping it quite as much as you would an HD.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
None of them is. No Mac is, or will be, a gaming machine.

It depends on what you want to be playing. For Team Fortress 2 and StarCraft II, just about any Mac will be more than capable.

All my iMacs in the past have all served me well as gaming machines, and so will be my soon to be 2012 iMac.

The flip-side to my previous argument: you must not be playing that many games.

Selling a good 2011 model to buy this one?

You: money>sense.

Welcome to forums.macrumors.com, most people here will replace their computer after two rev cycles and claim that their old computer was running on its last legs.

No, only 1 has the option for the GTX 680 MX video card and that is not acceptable. Why do only have a option for the largest, bulkiest, and intrusive model to get that?

Because that card generates more heat than the smaller Macs can properly allow for...?

For a desktop, I agree, the machine ought to be thicker, not thinner. But given that they made it thinner, then tape/glue aside, at least as far as the 21.5" iMac is concerned, it's an improvement on reliability. I'm reserving judgement on the 27" iMac until it's been in the wild for a little longer and until we have proper tear-down pics of it.

Sorry, i disagree. I think Apple did excellent on the redesign.

You are obviously not a technician or someone who cares about the internal design of their machine then.

Why should it not be thinner and lighter all items that are produced by any company over many years always get smaller and more streamlined as the technology gets better.

It is obvious that apple is moving away from optical media, even in their macbook pro range, the screen technology is now laminated and there has been progress with regards to friction stir-welding.

Therefore it is clear and obvious that the design will be thinner and lighter. You may have complaint's about the ODD but your attributing its removal to not fitting in the new design is incorrect. Do you think the macbook pros left out the ODD because they wouldn't fit, or same with the airs?

Desktops do not need to be made thinner. The only benefit from making them thinner is aesthetics. I'd much rather a better performing computer that will last longer than a prettier computer that's thinner. I see no reason why such an attitude is not sensible on my part.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008

Except for cars - they usually get bigger and heavier each year (albeit with more-efficient engines).

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

Um, why is it something Apple should not have done? It's not clear to me. It's actually quite the opposite for me. I thought it was obvious they would try and make it thinner.

It's called the evolution of technology. It will continue to get thinner. Just like ALL other tech on the market including computers. We certainly haven't reached a thin threshold yet. In fact, I'd say we are a long way off it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.