Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
AT&T has enjoyed being the dominant GSM carrier in the US for way too long. Verizon and Sprint don't even count because of their limited technology. T-Mobile can finally bring out all the beauty in the GSM version. Once they're re farmed they will have such a better network than AT&T.

*LTE Advanced, with HSPA+ 42 to fall back on. (AT&T currently maxes their HSPA+ network out at 21mbps which is VERY congested. The iPhone 5 supports DC HSPA+. :D

*Simultaneous voice and data the RIGHT WAY. AT&T currently throttles speeds during calls with very high pings. T-Mobile DOES NOT, and one can surf the web and talk the way it was suppose to be. Research this if you don't believe me.

*TRULY unlimited data with no overages, no throttling, or metering.

*Cheaper monthly service which benefits those who like to pay full price right away.

*Visual Voicemail for T-Mobile

Yeah that's just a few. I for one can't wait to ditch AT&T and hop on T-Mobile very soon with my unlocked iPhone 5.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Get back to me when they actually have full 4G coverage... I can drive a couple minutes down the road and TMobile goes full EDGE. AT&T is still LTE.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Get back to me when they actually have full 4G coverage... I can drive a couple minutes down the road and TMobile goes full EDGE. AT&T is still LTE.

You continue to let AT&T rape you!!! I won't. If that means being on EDGE occasionally, then SO BE IT!!!

They will improve coverage with their recent merger with Metro PCS.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
T-mobile a mile away from the starting block

As an iPhone 5 user on T-mobile, let me tell you my experience of 3G here in the NW suburbs of Minneapolis has been horrible. I have been with T-mobile for almost 10 years and for the first time, I felt I should go back to AT&T to enjoy my iPhone 5. T-mobile is a long way from competing with any of the wireless providers for the business of iPhone users. The 3G coverage is sparse and weak inside buildings.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
T-Mobile had best pray that the iPhone starts giving them some positive net adds quickly, because it seems like they've been losing way more customers than they've been signing up for quite a few quarters now.

Had they not have gotten that $4 billion dollars (and spectrum) when their merger with AT&T failed, I seriously doubt they'd still exist in the US now.

And I'm saying this as someone whose been a t-mobile supporter on howardforums since 2003.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
You continue to let AT&T rape you!!! I won't. If that means being on EDGE occasionally, then SO BE IT!!!

Matt - I hope you are right, I really do. I hope that T-Mobile offers a better value than AT&T, Verizon or Sprint. However, T-Mobile is a business like all the rest, and businesses are in business to make money. T-Mobile is cheaper at the moment because their network is not as complete or fast as their competitors. When it is and they are on equal footing with the competition, history has taught us that they will raise prices to within a hairs breadth of the competition. That's capitalism 101.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I love having T-mobile. The HSPA+ Speeds are amazing, i have seen people post speed tests of their LTE speeds which are slower then i get on T-Mobiles HSPA+. When they get the first LTE-advance network out of all the carriers this summer it will be even better!

I have never tried talking and using the web at the same time though. I wonder if that is possible? guess i will try it tomorrow when i am not on wifi.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

I'm not cheap enough to put up with TMobile's ****** network just to save a few pennies.

Why the hell would I be on EDGE occasionally when VZW/AT&T give me 100% LTE everywhere I go. Even Sprint has 100% 3G. T-Mobile? Not even 50% "4G"

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I love having T-mobile. The HSPA+ Speeds are amazing, i have seen people post speed tests of their LTE speeds which are slower then i get on T-Mobiles HSPA+. When they get the first LTE-advance network out of all the carriers this summer it will be even better!

I have never tried talking and using the web at the same time though. I wonder if that is possible? guess i will try it tomorrow when i am not on wifi.

Not to mention i am paying 135$+tax for three Lines Unlimited everything. You can not beat that with any other company.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I love having T-mobile. The HSPA+ Speeds are amazing, i have seen people post speed tests of their LTE speeds which are slower then i get on T-Mobiles HSPA+.

Of course. There is literally no one on the refarmed HSPA+. LTE will always both a higher average speed. Wait until the iPhone does hit TMo officially. Those speeds will take a nose-dive.

When they get the first LTE-advance network out of all the carriers this summer it will be even better!

You really think that they will refarm all HSPA+ and launch LTE-A by summer? Let's get real here. They don't even have enough 3G to match anyone.

AT&T has already annouced that their LTE-A is coming too.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
AutoUnion39;16440789 I'm not cheap enough to put up with TMobile's ****** network just to save a few pennies. Why the hell would I be on EDGE occasionally when VZW/AT&T give me 100% LTE everywhere I go. Even Sprint has 100% 3G. T-Mobile? Not even 50% "4G"[/QUOTE said:
That is actually not true about T-mobiles network. I am on 3G (either HSPA or HSPA+) where ever i go down here in South Florida and they said by january they will be complete with the refarming down here and the service i have been getting with T-mobile has been outstanding.

So as they are upgrading their towers it depends on the area your in.

NYDiplomat

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
Matt - I hope you are right, I really do. I hope that T-Mobile offers a better value than AT&T, Verizon or Sprint. However, T-Mobile is a business like all the rest, and businesses are in business to make money. T-Mobile is cheaper at the moment because their network is not as complete or fast as their competitors. When it is and they are on equal footing with the competition, history has taught us that they will raise prices to within a hairs breadth of the competition. That's capitalism 101.

True and it will happen. I'm on ATT and I hope T-mobile will be more competitive in the future and shake things up.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Of course. There is literally no one on the refarmed HSPA+. LTE will always both a higher average speed. Wait until the iPhone does hit TMo officially. Those speeds will take a nose-dive.

AT&T has already annouced that their LTE-A is coming too.

I am sure the speed will decrease when they release the iPhone but hopefully they will be closer to merging with Metros towers by then.

----------

Thats why i am glad i have my plan locked in with T-mobile now. I wouldn't want them to raise prices on me when they release the iPhone. Plus it is a cheaper plan with buying the iPhone Full price.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I'm not cheap enough to put up with TMobile's ****** network just to save a few pennies.

Why the hell would I be on EDGE occasionally when VZW/AT&T give me 100% LTE everywhere I go. Even Sprint has 100% 3G. T-Mobile? Not even 50% "4G"

Sprint's 3G is the equivalent to T-Mobile's EDGE.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm really looking forward on Tmobile expanding their refarmed network and their LTE coverage.
We need more competition in the us, not less.
The more competition and cheaper plans and coverage improves for Tmobile the better it is for all of us even on other carriers.
Hope their value plans and unlimited hspa+ data plans teach the 2 big carriers something about customer service and satisfaction. Instead of raising prices and giving people less options and charging more.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
That is actually not true about T-mobiles network. I am on 3G (either HSPA or HSPA+) where ever i go down here in South Florida and they said by january they will be complete with the refarming down here and the service i have been getting with T-mobile has been outstanding.

So as they are upgrading their towers it depends on the area your in.

I guess it's different in my area. New England, it's pretty ridiculous. T-Mobile only has HSPA+ in the most populated areas. Even venture a little outside the cities, it drops to EDGE, whereas ATT/VZW light up LTE here in Mass.

It's even more ridiculous up in Maine when I visit my parents. I can drive down the main road leading up to where I live. It will go from roaming -> EDGE -> HSPA+ and then drive down the road some more and it's down to EDGE again. VZW/AT&T? Full LTE coverage.

----------

I am sure the speed will decrease when they release the iPhone but hopefully they will be closer to merging with Metros towers by then.

I have MetroPCS LTE in Boston and I've run speed tests on my friend's phones. Slower than T-Mobile HSPA+. Don't expect MetroPCS's towers to do anything.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I have MetroPCS LTE in Boston and I've run speed tests on my friend's phones. Slower than T-Mobile HSPA+. Don't expect MetroPCS's towers to do anything.

I used to be on metros LTE and the highest i got was 5mb/s and i have gotten 13mb/s with t-mobiles HSPA+ network so i know what you mean. I am hoping that Metro is artificially limiting their LTE network to save on bandwidth since they all have unlimited internet (or they at least did when i had my LG Esteem).

----------

I'm really looking forward on Tmobile expanding their refarmed network and their LTE coverage.
We need more competition in the us, not less.
The more competition and cheaper plans and coverage improves for Tmobile the better it is for all of us even on other carriers.
Hope their value plans and unlimited hspa+ data plans teach the 2 big carriers something about customer service and satisfaction. Instead of raising prices and giving people less options and charging more.

Exactly, you have to love competition. The one thing i really cant stand is the outrageously high taxes on cell plans. i know this has nothing to do with the carriers but its still ridiculous. At least the cheaper plans with T-mobile also lower the taxes (since for example i am paying 130 for 3 lines instead of 230 if i had ATT).

jstar002

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
How is Tmobile HSPA/overall speeds in Los Angeles in the West Hollywood area? Anyone know?

I have a blackberry and am on pre-paid with Tmobile and I only get 3G/Edge... sometimes 4 G but pages take like over 20 seconds to load... Sometimes 30 seconds...

Never had HSPA... I guess that's not available for the pre-paid plan with unlimited minutes for $50? This is the plan I have Unlimited Talk, Text & Web (first 100 MB at up to 4G speeds)... Sometimes the backlight on my phone will go off cause it took so long for a page to load... I can go to the bathroom and come back and have it still loading sometimes...

Maybe its cause my blackberry is like 5 years old... but its slow...

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
How is Tmobile HSPA/overall speeds in Los Angeles in the West Hollywood area? Anyone know?

I have a blackberry and am on pre-paid with Tmobile and I only get 3G/Edge... sometimes 4 G but pages take like over 20 seconds to load... Sometimes 30 seconds...

Never had HSPA... I guess that's not available for the pre-paid plan with unlimited minutes for $50? This is the plan I have Unlimited Talk, Text & Web (first 100 MB at up to 4G speeds)... Sometimes the backlight on my phone will go off cause it took so long for a page to load... I can go to the bathroom and come back and have it still loading sometimes...

Maybe its cause my blackberry is like 5 years old... but its slow...

3G is HSPA and their "4G" is actually HSPA+ which is really a better 3G and not 4G. True 4G is LTE which t-mobile wont get till the summer (I was told this by a t-mobile employee so take it with a grain of salt).

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If this is true, this is a very ballsy move on T-Mobile's part, and would probably explain how they're able to afford to offer the iPhone in their current financial condition. They simply won't subsidize it like most other US carriers do. Isn't Virgin the only one that doesn't?

Boy Genius Report said:
T-MOBILE TO END SMARTPHONE SUBSIDIES NEXT YEAR

If you want to get an inexpensive smartphone from T-Mobile, you’d better do it fast. FierceWireless reports that T-Mobile will formally kill off its smartphone subsidies in 2013 and will replace them with a new system where customers “pay an upfront fee for their devices and then pay the balance of the device in affordable monthly installments.”
http://bgr.com/2012/12/06/t-mobile-smartphone-subsidies-end

I'm not sure if the majority of consumers would understand the concept of paying $649 for an iPhone that other carriers are selling for $199, even if they do get to pay for it over time.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
If this is true, this is a very ballsy move on T-Mobile's part, and would probably explain how they're able to afford to offer the iPhone in their current financial condition. They simply won't subsidize it like most other US carriers do. Isn't Virgin the only one that doesn't?

http://bgr.com/2012/12/06/t-mobile-smartphone-subsidies-end

I'm not sure if the majority of consumers would understand the concept of paying $649 for an iPhone that other carriers are selling for $199, even if they do get to pay for it over time.

The good thing about t-mobile is that they offer you a cheaper plan if they don't subsidize your phone. For example I purchased my iPhone full price from apple, but in the end I will end up paying less then someone that got theirs subsidized with AT&T.

But you are correct, not many people will realize that and would select one of t-mobiles subsidized phones instead. It's basically just how it is now, buy your own phone and get a cheaper phone, only difference is now they can advertise it.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
3G is HSPA and their "4G" is actually HSPA+ which is really a better 3G and not 4G. True 4G is LTE which t-mobile wont get till the summer (I was told this by a t-mobile employee so take it with a grain of salt).

All I know is that I have Tmobile and my blackberry is slower than death... I tried loading Macforums.com on my BB right now on 3G.... I counted out loud to 30 (approx 30 seconds) and the page is still not done loading....

I also don't like their customer service. It's outsourced and the people haven't been helpful at all. I haven't been able to set up email since I switched over to prepaid (I'm talking my regular gmail) while it was working fine when it was on contract. I've talked to at least 5-6 reps and spent 5 hours on the phone receiving service books, resetting the host/router, pulling in battery in and 20 times and still doesn't work. They are useless.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
All I know is that I have Tmobile and my blackberry is slower than death... I tried loading Macforums.com on my BB right now on 3G.... I counted out loud to 30 (approx 30 seconds) and the page is still not done loading....

I also don't like their customer service. It's outsourced and the people haven't been helpful at all. I haven't been able to set up email since I switched over to prepaid (I'm talking my regular gmail) while it was working fine when it was on contract. I've talked to at least 5-6 reps and spent 5 hours on the phone receiving service books, resetting the host/router, pulling in battery in and 20 times and still doesn't work. They are useless.

Sorry to hear that, guess that's why we have a cheap bill. Is there a speed test app for BB? Also you can always go to a t-mobile store in the area and test out their phones in store. If they have faster 3G then most likely it's your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.