Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:24 AM   #126
Alex225
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
My first iPod was a 6th gen Nano and I loved it, great capacity and a perfect size for a shirt pocket on a commute to work.

Sadly the power/track skip button on the top has given up on me and only just allows you to turn the thing on so it's be relegated to sitting on the the doc in the kitchen.

I have the new Nano on the way and I'm really looking forward to it. I find the iphone 4 and 5 just too bulky and even the new Nano is plenty slim enough for a shirt or trouser pocket. The lack of clip isn't much of an issue as I never clipped the old one to anything, although have my Shuffle for that.

I'm rather a fan of the new one but if my 6th hadn't played up I wouldn't be itching to replace it with the 7th.
Alex225 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:16 PM   #127
samanthas
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kockgunner View Post
On my silver iPod nano there is interlacing on the edge of the screen that look like the teeth of a comb. I have the same issue with my iPhone 5 and I'm really disappointed. Usually Apple's screens are really good and never disappointed me but this year they seem to be using another manufacturer.

Also, the iPod nano seems a bit slow. There was once where it showed the Apple logo after quitting from settings. It's like the whole device had to restart. Also, waking the device especially with the home button is really slow sometimes.
I have horizontal lines that seem to fade in and out. None of the stores around here have them on display and so it's hard to tell if this is just the screen or an issue.
samanthas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:52 AM   #128
braddick
macrumors 68040
 
braddick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
I do wish I could listen to the radio feature without headphones, but instead through a bluetooth, such as a Jawbone.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:54 AM   #129
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
I do wish I could listen to the radio feature without headphones, but instead through a bluetooth, such as a Jawbone.
My theory is that it's due to the battery life. Bluetooth takes a good chunk, and then the radio takes even a lot more (huge difference when you just listen to music on the iPod, versus a radio station on the radio app). They don't make a good pair. I use the radio feature a lot, but my battery doesn't last very long because of it.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:29 AM   #130
76ShovelHead
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex225 View Post
My first iPod was a 6th gen Nano and I loved it, great capacity and a perfect size for a shirt pocket on a commute to work.

Sadly the power/track skip button on the top has given up on me and only just allows you to turn the thing on so it's be relegated to sitting on the the doc in the kitchen.

I have the new Nano on the way and I'm really looking forward to it. I find the iphone 4 and 5 just too bulky and even the new Nano is plenty slim enough for a shirt or trouser pocket. The lack of clip isn't much of an issue as I never clipped the old one to anything, although have my Shuffle for that.

I'm rather a fan of the new one but if my 6th hadn't played up I wouldn't be itching to replace it with the 7th.
I talked my mom into getting my sister a pink 6th gen, which arrived yesterday and she loves it. It was especially compelling to buy since she just bought a gym membership. I thought the functionality of the clip would be perfect.
__________________
Haswell i5 3 GHz 8 GB Ram 128 GB SSD Mavericks
76ShovelHead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:33 PM   #131
Grinspoon
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Some time has passed and I still don't really like this nano at all.

It's just annoying and awkward.

Honestly i figured out that double and triple clicking the middle of the volume changes the track.. However as the controls are so tiny and I'm a adult. You're always accidentally doing it while trying to change the volume.

I also swear it just randomly changes tracks sometime. Yes shake to shuffle is off.

It's still awkward. With the latest itunes update, I think I might be done with ipods. it's now just at a point where they're making things worse.

Last edited by Grinspoon; Dec 6, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Grinspoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:58 PM   #132
Alex225
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ShovelHead View Post
I talked my mom into getting my sister a pink 6th gen, which arrived yesterday and she loves it. It was especially compelling to buy since she just bought a gym membership. I thought the functionality of the clip would be perfect.
I think the clip can be a decider for some people. It's not so much of a necessity for me as I used my Gen 6 and will use the 7 for commuting so top pocket only.

That said I recently bought a new Shuffle and the size of that is impressive, just a great package. It's basic but functional so can imagie that would be ideal for exercising whilst clipped to your person.
Alex225 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:40 PM   #133
Grinspoon
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Still really dislike it.
Grinspoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:20 AM   #134
SkyBell
macrumors 603
 
SkyBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
I do wish I could listen to the radio feature without headphones, but instead through a bluetooth, such as a Jawbone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
My theory is that it's due to the battery life. Bluetooth takes a good chunk, and then the radio takes even a lot more (huge difference when you just listen to music on the iPod, versus a radio station on the radio app). They don't make a good pair. I use the radio feature a lot, but my battery doesn't last very long because of it.
IIRC, the headphone jack acts as the antenna for the radio, and therefore would have crap reception without a set plugged in. (At least, I'm pretty sure this was true for the previous generation, anyway. Could be wrong about this new one.)
__________________
MR's PowerPC Fangirl
eMac 1.42 GHz G4 - 10.5.8
12" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz - 10.4.11
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:32 AM   #135
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBell View Post
IIRC, the headphone jack acts as the antenna for the radio, and therefore would have crap reception without a set plugged in. (At least, I'm pretty sure this was true for the previous generation, anyway. Could be wrong about this new one.)
Probably that too. But as far as I can tell, both the radio feature AND the bluetooth are huge battery drainers on this model. Put them together, and you get a MP3 player that only works for less than a hour on battery.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:38 AM   #136
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816
 
Drunken Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTaurus View Post
How we are supposed to train/run without a clip......?
Don't your workout shorts and pants have pockets?

Until a few weeks ago I've been jogging with an iPod Nano 3rd gen for the past five years by just putting it in my pocket.

(Tried the armband, didn't like it, felt like I was getting my blood pressure taken at the doctor's office).
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:47 AM   #137
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by iproductsuser View Post
I think the nano lost it's place and IMO, it's too big. I bought the previous gen nano with the built in clip and it's the perfect size for clipping on my gym shorts for working out and/or running. I didn't see a built in clip on the new nano and the size just seems too big almost like they are trying to make it a mini iPod touch. I think if you want that experience, buy the touch but the nano (IMO) should have remained very small with built in clip. JMHO.
Somehow this 4 month old thread got resurrected.
Yes, I also liked the watch-faced (6th gen) Nano better, and was sorry to see they ditched the form factor.
It also might have gained traction as a possible Bluetooth enabled iPhone interface.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:58 PM   #138
racoop
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
Don't your workout shorts and pants have pockets?

Until a few weeks ago I've been jogging with an iPod Nano 3rd gen for the past five years by just putting it in my pocket.

(Tried the armband, didn't like it, felt like I was getting my blood pressure taken at the doctor's office).
I gotta be securely clipped in. Uuugh! I hate things bouncing around loose anywhere down there when I run. My running shorts only have the little key pocket anyway.
racoop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:58 PM   #139
TooLowToZero
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Pick up a new Nano from our local supermarket today. Going to say good bye to the CD's in the car! Very impressed with this iPod and to my delight it has audio cross fading.

I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 4. Why is audio cross fading not available on my phone?

Prefer to use the iPod, rather than the phone as it save the battery. Wish it was 32gb, so I could fit all my iTunes music on it in one go, but not complaining as it's still a great little unit.
TooLowToZero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:57 PM   #140
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
In my opinion this was the best nano ever.

mrsir2009 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:35 AM   #141
Ffosse
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012






I love mine - it gets more usage outside than either of my 5th Gen. Touches because of its pedometer and FM radio.
Ffosse is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:13 AM   #142
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffosse View Post
Image

Image

Image

I love mine - it gets more usage outside than either of my 5th Gen. Touches because of its pedometer and FM radio.
Whats that music app in the last pic?
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:33 PM   #143
Ffosse
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
That is Leech Tunes - free and highly customizable with regard to its look.

http://www.redmondpie.com/leechtunes...ative-for-ios/

Last edited by Ffosse; Feb 3, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Ffosse is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:30 AM   #144
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68020
 
PinkyMacGodess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midwest America.
The complaint that I have on this iteration of the Nano deals with the Nike+ app.

I wish there was a way to have it ignore the buttons on the side of the Nano while it, and I are running. I've had a problem finding an adequate case for my Nano, and have started using a Nathan belt with a mesh pocket to hold it, and sometimes the volume button gets bumped and it interrupts the Nike+ app.

Anyone else found a decent case for this Nano, that works and isn't overly cheap and breakable? A clip would be nice...

Thanks.
PinkyMacGodess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:46 AM   #145
iPhoenix
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vietnam
iPod Nano? Gen 6 is nano truly Gen 6 is best, it will be perfect if it has an small camera lolololol
iPhoenix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:48 PM   #146
pyrex
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Send a message via AIM to pyrex
Too many button presses to get to where you want to on the screen. I would love the opportunity to be able to add artists, playlists, albums, now playing, etc as icons to the home screen as the only button I ever press is music. Followed by pressing another button within the music icon makes a MINIMUM of 5 clicks before choosing a new song. 7 if you have to press power button and return to the homescreen. There has to be a much more efficient way of doing this.

Another thing that takes a while to do is to rate songs, where as on my ipod nano 2nd gen and ipod 2g (nano still running strong, ipod has no battery life left so I use it as a firewire backup OS for mac) I could press the centre wheel a couple times and then scroll to rate, now I have to press the top right list icon when a song is playing and have to rate the song.

And why can't we have a play next feature like in the new iTunes 11?

I don't think this UI would have passed Steve Jobs.
__________________
iMac 27 3.4 i7, 2gb gfx, 16gb, 250/1.5tb SSD/HD; 17" iMac g4; Lenovo x220t i7, 8gb, 120/320gb SSD/HD
pyrex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:30 AM   #147
racoop
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyMacGodess View Post
Anyone else found a decent case for this Nano, that works and isn't overly cheap and breakable? A clip would be nice...
Thanks.
Got a rooCASE that seems pretty nice, along with screen protectors for around $20 from Amazon. Seems pretty well made and has a clip. Not much to say about a 3 gram piece of plastic. I like the 7G Nano. Way to much fuss here over a $150 music player, sheesh.
racoop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:28 PM   #148
rjalda100
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Here
I love it. Then again, I'm probably just biased because I own one.
__________________
iPhone 5S|iPod Nano 7G|iPod Touch 5G|iPod Touch 4G
rjalda100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:16 PM   #149
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm hoping for a nice big firmware update soon.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:56 PM   #150
iEvolution
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffosse View Post
That is Leech Tunes - free and highly customizable with regard to its look.

http://www.redmondpie.com/leechtunes...ative-for-ios/
That's a nice lookin UI, kind of reminds me of the Zune HD interface. Thanks.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS Update isn't Notifying Me And isn't Giving Me Red Badge on Settings App help? Dan50 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 10 Apr 23, 2014 02:34 AM
Safari in iOS 7: great ideas but not great execution. iphnhelp iOS 7 43 Jul 15, 2013 02:46 PM
The great UK nano sim swap thedoofa iPhone 333 Oct 30, 2012 05:39 PM
The great CDN nano sim swap wysiwyg1972 iPhone 24 Sep 20, 2012 02:24 PM
WWDC 2012 Banners: "Where great ideas go on to do great things." MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 236 Jun 8, 2012 02:50 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC