Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng

Old Feb 6, 2010, 09:54 AM   #1
AndyCodez
macrumors regular

Best places to promote your app?

I'm just wondering what sites/forums/ ect are the best places to promote your application? Of course I tried to pawn off purchasing my app on facebook with friends and such. Also on the app store forum on this site.

But other than that what is the best places to post information about your app? I emailed tuaw.com about doing a review. Haven't heard anything as of yet.

Thanks for your import
iFlashCardPro - Flash Cards
AndyCodez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:03 AM   #2
chris7777
macrumors 6502

Who is your target buyer?

Look at that. As well as alternative users who you might not have originally intended but who might could use your app in a way beyond your original intention.

I assume it is the app listed in your signature. If So I would suggest education forums, and schools. My daughter said roughly half of her friends have ipods or phones, when I finish mine I most certainly will look into that route. But mine is more entertainment for now, once the $ starts coming in then I want to look int ocreating some educational tools.

I am sort of in the same boat , I have heard that you can submit your aps for review with online review sites, but other than that, and forums that cater to your target demographic, I am not sure myself. If money were no object I would suggest advertising, but I know in my case it is so I want to rely on as much word of mouth as possible.
chris7777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 03:16 AM   #3
DaveSW
Banned

-Google/Yahoo/Bing PPC
-Smaller blogs (they might be more interested in reviewing your app, than say tuaw or techcrunch, etc.)
DaveSW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:54 PM   #4
AndyCodez
macrumors regular

Thanks for the input guys, I'll have to do some more research then
iFlashCardPro - Flash Cards
AndyCodez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:17 AM   #5
sagejyoung
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCodez View Post
Thanks for the input guys, I'll have to do some more research then
yea im also battling to promote
sagejyoung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:02 PM   #6
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCodez View Post
I'll have to do some more research then ...
A better time to do this research is before you start developing an app. Why bother to create an app, if you don't know what type of people would want to buy it, and how you would get them to notice that your app even exists?

If your potential customers read some specific blog or magazine, for instance, you might be able to research if you can get (or buy) that bloggers/magazines attention before you start coding.

If you have no clue who your potential customers might be, you have an even bigger problem.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:54 PM   #7
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewood View Post
A better time to do this research is before you start developing an app. Why bother to create an app, if you don't know what type of people would want to buy it, and how you would get them to notice that your app even exists?

If your potential customers read some specific blog or magazine, for instance, you might be able to research if you can get (or buy) that bloggers/magazines attention before you start coding.

If you have no clue who your potential customers might be, you have an even bigger problem.
I have always made my apps for me (or for someone who's paying me.) If I'm not making it for myself (or making money while developing it,) I lose interest within a few weeks. Sometimes the resulting apps have no market (and that's when I discover I'm basically alone in an interest in something,) while others have been fairly successful, if I do say so myself.

... I need another successful app... I'm just realizing that my latest one turns one year old in a few weeks...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Gomeapps
macrumors newbie

Review Sites

I'm a new app developer and researched my market prior to releasing my app. Unfortunately, my app is low ranking in the App Store searches, so I am using trial and error to market outside of the App Store itself.

Here's a link you may find useful: http://maniacdev.com/2012/05/ios-app-review-sites/

It is a huge list of review sites. I posted to as many free sites as I could. Out of the many emails, there were only a few responses, but any bit helps!

My next step is to target specific blogs and request to post as a guest blogger about my experiences releasing my app and what problems my app solves for users.

I'll post back if that strategy is successful. Good luck!

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 10, 2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: clean up
Gomeapps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:39 AM   #9
willeynode88
macrumors newbie

Best place to promote your app is macrumors.com....
willeynode88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:23 AM   #10
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by willeynode88 View Post
Best place to promote your app is macrumors.com....
Very true!

I get quite a few hits from this site its a great place to promote.

@AndyCodez
It is very important to know your market and do research before developing. There are over 1000 flashcard apps on the app store. Unless you do something that the others dont it is going to be very very hard to get noticed without large amounts of marketing $$ (20k+).

I have a flashcard app too but it also allows users to create multi-choice quizzes so it stands out a bit but not as much as I wish it did lol.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:21 PM   #11
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeapps View Post
I'm a new app developer and researched my market prior to releasing my app. Unfortunately, my app is low ranking in the App Store searches, so I am using trial and error to market outside of the App Store itself.

Here's a link you may find useful: http://maniacdev.com/2012/05/ios-app-review-sites/

It is a huge list of review sites. I posted to as many free sites as I could. Out of the many emails, there were only a few responses, but any bit helps!

My next step is to target specific blogs and request to post as a guest blogger about my experiences releasing my app and what problems my app solves for users.

I'll post back if that strategy is successful. Good luck!
thank you very much
jkcerda is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng