Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I was intent on buying my wife/child the Mini until I've been reading all the great responses from all of you! Now I'm contemplating giving them my iPad 3 and buying the Mini for myself....

except for one thing.. Is there a good Bluetooth keyboard available for the Mini out there like there are for its larger brethren? I want to use the Mini as a portable laptop due to the great battery life.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :)

AlanKA

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Why not use the normal Apple bluetooth keyboard. It's already as small as you'd want, yet still support typing on a decent sized keyboard. I just that keyboard with my 3 and Mini, love it.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Why not use the normal Apple bluetooth keyboard. It's already as small as you'd want, yet still support typing on a decent sized keyboard. I just that keyboard with my 3 and Mini, love it.

Never thought about that option.. But I like those keyboards from Zagg or Logitech that you can rest the iPad in that groove. Just wondered if there's a Mini version out yet

rufinatti

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I used the Apple keyboard with the origami case all summer long to take notes in class on my iPad 1st gen. When my mini arrives on thursday, I'll just use it instead. The Apple keyboard works great for me because it's a compact, but still full-sized keyboard AND the keypresses are quiet so that it doesn't distract everyone else in class while I type up my notes.

Deval

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
I read some of the reviews on the Zaggkeys Mini 7, and the majority stated that it was tough to use the iPad as a book grip.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Never thought about that option.. But I like those keyboards from Zagg or Logitech that you can rest the iPad in that groove. Just wondered if there's a Mini version out yet

Yes there is, by ZAGG

----------

What I REALLY want is something like the ZAGGkeys ProPlus with the backlit keyboard but made for the Mini. Maybe I'll wait until ZAGG introduces it.
I just bought the ZAGGkeys ProPlus for my iPad 4, it's an amazing experience. So much better than earlier models.

jacoder

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
California
Interested to hear your thoughts on this keyboard as I've been eying it. Brief review?

Thanks...

The keyboard works out of box with iPad mini once done with bluetooth pairing.
Keys are a bit small, it took a little time to get used to if coming from regular keyboard like Apple Wireless keyboard; but it becomes very smooth once you get used to the size of keys.

Portability: Keyboard length is almost the same as iPad mini, width as half of iPad mini's, very portable, and it is light weight as well.

This is an excellent keyboard as iPad mini parter.

As matter of the fact, this review is typed from iPad mini using this E6300 keyboard. ^_^

Note: This is the same review I posted on Amazon. :D
---

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Keyboards for iPad mini

What I REALLY want is something like the ZAGGkeys ProPlus with the backlit keyboard but made for the Mini. Maybe I'll wait until ZAGG introduces it.

Me too.

Am returning an iPad mini keyboard marketed by WirelessSound and it has a weird layout and missing the iPad specific function keys. Appears they took an netbook keyboard and married it to a nesting cover (which apparently does not have "sleep" magnets.) Albeit it is aluminum, there are little tabs that hold the iPad mini to it but I think it scratched one of the edges, so not a good fit.

So will wait until Zagg comes out with a ZaggKeys Pro Plus for the mini, I would guess would be around $70-80.

Or if Logitech comes out with and mini version of the Utrathin, that would work as the iPad mini is small and light enough to probably not require the little silicon tape in the groove that keeps migrating out under the weight of the full sized iPads. That would be a real nice answer since it attaches to the iPad just like the smart covers do.

I guess you gets what you pays for, the little keyboard I purchased was $50 including shipping. If Zagg or Logitech develops a nice nesting keyboard for the mini, I would be happy to pay $79-80 at this point to get a product that is proven and won't damage the iPad.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
How on Earth can you use a keyboard with such a small screen??? Do you just squint really hard?

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
Thanks for mentioning the Rapoo keyboard. I needed a cheap (under $20) keyboard, but this one looks pretty sweet. I couldn't justify spending $43 on it via Amazon, since I probably won't be using it all the time, but I found a white one on there (same model) through Amazon Warehouse that was Like New for $17, so I picked it up. Figured if it's good, it was cheaper than any of the others I could find, if not, I can just return it.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Keyboards for the Mini

This topic seems to be scattered around several threads. Both Logitech and Belkin have introduced/announced keyboards that are based on the Logitech Ultralight keyboard cover. Uses a magnetic hinge closure and activates the Smart Cover magnets to turn on an off. They are not shipping yet, but a few reviewers have gotten their paws on them.

I understand Luvvitt will be coming out with a similar backlit design called the Gravity, but reviews were mixed on the full sized iPad model.

mach5k

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
coverbot

when i am going to do a lot of typing on my mini at home/office I use the apple keyboard. But if I am going to a meeting or traveling i use the CoverBot. Was I think $35, rechargeable battery, and keys are decent. I would recommend it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.