Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmhart

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I've had final cut crash a few times, along with iMovie. So Mac is not the golden child everyone makes it out to be for reliability my windows system crashed just about as much as osx has. So pretty disappointed there.

OS X generally *is* the golden child we rave about. It sounds like you're referering to problems with a specific application (Final Cut), but that's not caused by OS X. If you are referring a system-wide crash requiring a hard power cycle, I would highly recommend pursuing that with Apple to find the cause as you may have a hardware stability issue.

In the 4 years I've owned my MacBook, I've had maybe 3-4 system wide crashes that whole time. While Windows 7 is indeed very solid, I still consider OS X a bit more stable.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Oh okay, I thought your post seemed over the top in regards to the statement I made. I think you accidentally quoted me when you may have meant someone else..I hope?

As far as anything I mentioned, I'm just saying take your time and learn the system. There are people that buy a Mac and instantly come here with the attitude of "giving up" and it shocks me that these same people come from the Windows world where it's generally common to sit down and spend hours until the problem is solved.
Apple's OS X system is actually great but far from "perfect" as no OS is perfect but you'll find many things that you are annoyed with now are not like you think they are. For example, when you download or add pictures to your Mac they don't automatically go to iPhoto as you mentioned, there is in fact a Pictures folder in the Finder.

Check out TextEdit, it's a nice basic word processor and if you need more advanced editing then you can try other paid or free Mac apps. Also search for apps or ask someone here before you decide that an application is Windows-only. That used to be the case but other than gaming it's hardly the case anymore.

There are going to be certain people that don't want to hear negatives about Macs but don't run away because of that.

Ya wasn't toward you. I will look at that app tonight. One question with video files if I have one video clip in iMovie and also have the same clip in final cut is it saved twice to the hdd ?? Or is it the same file but final cut and iMovie just open the same file

----------

OS X generally *is* the golden child we rave about. It sounds like you're referering to problems with a specific application (Final Cut), but that's not caused by OS X. If you are referring a system-wide crash requiring a hard power cycle, I would highly recommend pursuing that with Apple to find the cause as you may have a hardware stability issue.

In the 4 years I've owned my MacBook, I've had maybe 3-4 system wide crashes that whole time. While Windows 7 is indeed very solid, I still consider OS X a bit more stable.

It is final cut crashing not osx. But isn't final cut a apple product?

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Funny was just talking to a good friend of mine about this forum thread. He is a big time Mac fan has been for a long time. He laughed and said it is like this windows users are open minded toward Mac OS , Mac OS users are closed minded to windows OS. Thought that was pretty funny yet true after seeing a lot of responses here.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Ya wasn't toward you. I will look at that app tonight. One question with video files if I have one video clip in iMovie and also have the same clip in final cut is it saved twice to the hdd ?? Or is it the same file but final cut and iMovie just open the same file

I'm not sure about that as I don't have Final Cut but hopefully someone can chime in. I just iMovie only as I am a video "light-weight".

Funny was just talking to a good friend of mine about this forum thread. He is a big time Mac fan has been for a long time. He laughed and said it is like this windows users are open minded toward Mac OS , Mac OS users are closed minded to windows OS. Thought that was pretty funny yet true after seeing a lot of responses here.

Well it wasn't like that just a few short years ago and sadly you should go on YouTube videos more often and you'll see it's definitely not like your friend said.
Let me explain. In the past (it was way worse) Windows users used to trash the Mac as if it had the plague. Their trashing of the Mac OS was purely out of ignorance just because it wasn't Windows. They had never used a Mac or even touched a Mac but yet they would say the worse things and even worse, they would call Mac users all sorts of horrible names for just using a Mac.
How could a computer in the minority of computing be trashed so harshly by people using a system that is more widely used? Go figure. Not sure if they knew the Mac OS was superior or not but ignorance generally causes this sort of behavior.
It's like a Honda driver (yes...the age-old car analogy, haha) trashing Toyota just because...and he's never driven a Toyota.

Now fast forward to today, there are more people using Macs and guess where they came from??? Windows! Most Mac users were Windows users (just as yourself switching over) and are plenty aware of the issues Windows brings and have dealt with the frustrations. To these people the Mac represents a breath of fresh air and the problems these people were having with Windows suddenly don't appear on the Mac so guess what happens?? Bashing against Windows.

It's human nature, when someone switches to something new and they love it, they will say negative things about the competition they switched from. Not saying you will do this but give yourself 6 months on the Mac and I'm 99% confident that will post here saying, "I wish I had have done this earlier". Trust me, most people do.

So just understand that Mac users bashing Windows is not out of ignorance, it's out of experience. Windows users recognize that the Mac is good system and are attracted to it but unfortunately some of them are closeted Mac enthusiasts and are afraid to admit they want one.

Still, on YouTube I've been called, "MacFag", "iSheep", "Apple Fanboy" or "Apple Koolaid Drinker". Guess who's calling me and others those names? Not other Mac users...;)

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
op, apple has dropped the ball with os x, since lion, sadly. I can understand how you wouldn't be impressed with it circa mountain lion. The hardware might be blazing fast but you can't just throw hardware to software you have to work at the software core as well, and apple haven't simple as that. Windows flies on these macs though.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008

Have you found the cause of the slow down?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Nope, there are well, lets say... shallow people... in both camps. A Mac user is often a former Windows user that likes OS X better. And a Windows user is often... well, rather prejudiced towards OS X without having actually worked on it. No idea why. I remember a computer science student on a party that was making fun of Macs and Mac users, telling how horrible it is for doing real work compared to Linux/Unix systems. Then I asked him if he actually knew that OS X is actually 100% Unix. He didn't. Funny thing - I met him few month later, he bough a MacBook ^^

Myself, I believe that there are right tools for every job. I can't even imagine doing the work I do with Windows. And I was looking into getting a non-mac laptop, but any model which I could consider an alternative to a MacBook was either less powerful or more expensive. So yeah...

And as far as AOIs go... there is simply no other manufacturers that offer what Apple offers in the similar price category. Yeah, you can build a custom desktop with the same specs for a bit less... but thats a different discussion.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Hey why so offensive, all I offered was advice. I think I just dont understand how you do things. To me, tagging is the same, whether I'm doing it in iTunes or some other (tagging) utility - iTunes is just there so it's the one I pick.
I never used the automatic tagging, from what I know iTunes will let you download album art on purchased music only.
Btw I thought that point of tagging music was always to do it manually (well, except maybe title tracks etc.) I think we just misunderstood each other.
It's just because I'm sick of the snob attitude by people that if you don't do it this way you're doing it wrong. You should just not use iTunes.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure how big your collection is but if its as big as mine is, and as rare as most of my music is, and how over %75 is personal ripped stuff then you would probably understand. I don't want iTunes making double copies with my albums inside of folders and inside of folders to hell with that.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
True Mac has its pros for sure yet it also has its flaws. For example the other week I wanted to transfer a iMovie file to iTunes then onto my iPad sounds simple right. Well needless to say it wouldn't happen. Due to iTunes Store being down at that time it wouldn't let me transfer onto my iPad. I called AppleCare to double check and they told me until iTunes goes back online I couldn't do anything. Which really sucked cause it was my wife's ultra sound for our first child and we were heading to her parents house for thanksgiving. I ended up uploading video to YouTube instead to show them which wasn't ideal cause they have bad Internet took awhile to play but worked eventually. So just a example. I even joked with the AppleCare tech about this is why I should jailbreak my iPad lol she even agreed

toohectic

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2010
For example the other week I wanted to transfer a iMovie file to iTunes then onto my iPad sounds simple right. Well needless to say it wouldn't happen. Due to iTunes Store being down at that time it wouldn't let me transfer onto my iPad.

Weird... I've never experienced that before. I've transfered iMovie files from my laptop to my ipad a few times in the past without an internet connection (while waiting at the airport). The only movie type that I'm aware of that requires an iTunes Store connection in order to transfer between devices is a movie rental. I've never purchased a movie from iTunes, so I'm not sure if that requires a connection or not. Have they changed something recently regarding iMovie files?

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Ahhh so no software support but if my hdd goes out I'm good sweet I like it.

For being a troll I'm pretty loyal to the apple Eco system just new to osx. Just a honest opinion on my experience this far sorry it wasn't up to your standard of what you enjoyed.

Do you work for Microsoft? Sound more like a troll with every post. I use Windows for work and Mac at home. Never had to call Apple. Soon will be replacing my iMac from 2006. Never had an issue using both.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Have you found the cause of the slow down?

Just a couple of pages ago I gave him the advice to ask for help regarding his slow iMac, others did as well but he never even replied to such posts.

Weird... I've never experienced that before. I've transfered iMovie files from my laptop to my ipad a few times in the past without an internet connection (while waiting at the airport). The only movie type that I'm aware of that requires an iTunes Store connection in order to transfer between devices is a movie rental. I've never purchased a movie from iTunes, so I'm not sure if that requires a connection or not. Have they changed something recently regarding iMovie files?

Give it up, he is as the poster below says just going on with bashing and ranting, there is not one thing positive in his posts, someone called him a troll, I told him that's your words, but he is right.

Do you work for Microsoft? Sound more like a troll with every post. I use Windows for work and Mac at home. Never had to call Apple. Soon will be replacing my iMac from 2006. Never had an issue using both.

Exactly and this is my last post here, done with this poster.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
You know, I'm sure that the OP has his reasons, but I just don't understand any of this. If I want to put a video on my iPad, I just do it. If my Mac is being slow, I restart it or try to troubleshoot the problem to speed it up, and it's fixed. This is really just driven by a fundamental knowledge of how video, filesystems, and media management programs work, regardless of the OS they're running on.

Not by any means an insult, but is the OP just a less tech-savvy person that's unconsciously blaming his general lack of knowledge on Apple? Potentially. Calling AppleCare for every little issue seems like something that someone that's not very knowledgable about computing in general might do. By no means is this a bad thing, as that's what the service is partially for, but it's just an indicator.

Take the computer to an Apple Store. I'm sure they'll be able to fix most of your issues that are probably just the result of you being unaware of the proper way to do things in general.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
First time I tried a Mac at work was a mono-chrome CRT Mac, not impressive to me. The CRT was too small.

I use PC for years, PC are noisy and picture quality for most PC monitors are bad, I'm tired of it. My co-worker told me I can install Windows on Intel Mac. Then I bought Macbook Pro and iMac in 2010 and two Windows 7 Ultimate DVDs for boot camp. I can say Apple makes the most quiet PC and uses the most beautiful LCD panels in the industry. As for OSX, Snow Leopard, how come I cannot resize the application windows on any window corners? How come application menu is on the desktop but not on the application window itself? Yes, I can resize Window on Mountain Lion like the way MS Windows does. Seriously I think I can use OS X for leisure only, but not for work.

It is easier to do multitasking on Windows 7 Taskbar. I run Powerpoint, Excel, VNC Viwer, Windows Remote Desktop, Acroread, IE, Firefox and listen to iTune radio same time, sometime I also watch recorded HDTV streaming from my HP tower over Apple Airport Extreme to my Windows 7 iMac. I need to run XP mode for VPN too. I have two clock gadgets on my Windows 7 desktop for two different time zones. OS X cannot meet my requirement.

Another thing, I don't see OS X more stable than Windows 7, sometime I need to open a X-termial to type Unix command to kill a hangup application in OS X. For Windows, I can do Ctrl-Alt-Del and mouse click it. I don't like to type Unix command, not convenient.

lampliter

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Has anyone here tried ONYX to clean up their mac. I tried it and it is a really good program. My mac was getting a little boggy, which never really happens.
I would try to open safari or some other app and the icon would bounce in the doc 10 times. After I used Onyx, when I open mail, it is open before the icon can even land. Just thought it might help.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
First time I tried a Mac at work was a mono-chrome CRT Mac, not impressive to me. The CRT was too small.

I use PC for years, PC are noisy and picture quality for most PC monitors are bad, I'm tired of it. My co-worker told me I can install Windows on Intel Mac. Then I bought Macbook Pro and iMac in 2010 and two Windows 7 Ultimate DVDs for boot camp. I can say Apple makes the most quiet PC and uses the most beautiful LCD panels in the industry. As for OSX, Snow Leopard, how come I cannot resize the application windows on any window corners? How come application menu is on the desktop but not on the application window itself? Yes, I can resize Window on Mountain Lion like the way MS Windows does. Seriously I think I can use OS X for leisure only, but not for work.

It is easier to do multitasking on Windows 7 Taskbar. I run Powerpoint, Excel, VNC Viwer, Windows Remote Desktop, Acroread, IE, Firefox and listen to iTune radio same time, sometime I also watch recorded HDTV streaming from my HP tower over Apple Airport Extreme to my Windows 7 iMac. I need to run XP mode for VPN too. I have two clock gadgets on my Windows 7 desktop for two different time zones. OS X cannot meet my requirement.

Another thing, I don't see OS X more stable than Windows 7, sometime I need to open a X-termial to type Unix command to kill a hangup application in OS X. For Windows, I can do Ctrl-Alt-Del and mouse click it. I don't like to type Unix command, not convenient.

To you I Will respond, all the things you say ARE not possible in OS X can be done and even better, you are just a beginner and not trying to learn the OS.

TaskBar is the Dock, you can launch Apps from there, or use Spotlight, type a few letters and it shows up, the more you use Spotlight the more it knows how you work.

Force quit an Application can be by clicking and holding an Application in the dock and then click Option and the quit will change in Force quit, or you could hold Command-Option-Q (Ctrl-Alt-Del on Windows) and a window will appear where you can choose to quit the Application, an Application will be marked red if it is stuck.

You can run widgets on the desktop (Konfabulator) was one (don't know if still there, not and yahoo widgets is also gone), but you can use Dashboard.

VPN is possible on Mac.

Last edited:

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
To you I Will respond, all the things you say ARE not possible in OS X can be done and even better, you are just a beginner and not trying to learn the OS.

TaskBar is the Dock, you can launch Apps from there, or use Spotlight, type a few letters and it shows up, the more you use Spotlight the more it knows how you work.

Force quit an Application can be by clicking and holding an Application in the dock and then click Option and the quit will change in Force quit, or you could hold Command-Option-Q (Ctrl-Alt-Del on Windows) and a window will appear where you can choose to quit the Application, an Application will be marked red if it is stuck.

You can run widgets on the desktop (Konfabulator) was one (don't know if still there, not and yahoo widgets is also gone), but you can use Dashboard.

VPN is possible on Mac.

Thanks for your tip.

Mountain Lion has built-in VPN support. However I like to run Windows 7 XP-mode virtual machine to connect my work place over VPN, and surf internet having fun on Windows 7. If I surf internet over VPN in OS X, big brothers in IS department are watching.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012

No actually I'm a city employee for the water dept in anchorage Alaska

----------

Just a couple of pages ago I gave him the advice to ask for help regarding his slow iMac, others did as well but he never even replied to such posts.

Give it up, he is as the poster below says just going on with bashing and ranting, there is not one thing positive in his posts, someone called him a troll, I told him that's your words, but he is right.

Exactly and this is my last post here, done with this poster.

No sorry I saw your posts I did not get a chance tonight to try a refresh install of osx. Hopefully will Tommorow lol geezs people are sensitive

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
You know, I'm sure that the OP has his reasons, but I just don't understand any of this. If I want to put a video on my iPad, I just do it. If my Mac is being slow, I restart it or try to troubleshoot the problem to speed it up, and it's fixed. This is really just driven by a fundamental knowledge of how video, filesystems, and media management programs work, regardless of the OS they're running on.

Not by any means an insult, but is the OP just a less tech-savvy person that's unconsciously blaming his general lack of knowledge on Apple? Potentially. Calling AppleCare for every little issue seems like something that someone that's not very knowledgable about computing in general might do. By no means is this a bad thing, as that's what the service is partially for, but it's just an indicator.

Take the computer to an Apple Store. I'm sure they'll be able to fix most of your issues that are probably just the result of you being unaware of the proper way to do things in general.
Actually buddy been doing heavy video editing for quite awhile. I will admit iam new to osx and final cut iam coming from windows and Sony Vegas so two totally different animals. For my work I do CCTV work for my cities water systems, basically run a remote controlled robot with a camara and record water lines for problems. Think I know a little bit on how video files work. Issues I was having was the way osx handles video files. So maybe you should think before you type because you don't know what your talking about. Not every person who has a rough go of osx to start out is a troll. I'm learning it and trying maybe you should open your mind a bit and try new things to

Lemme guess you drive a Chevy to huh cause all fords are stupid. And if your a mechanic and you specialized in Chevy transmission for years and you happen to need to do a ford and you run into problems does this make you stupid also just wondering

Your the exact type of person who will never learn a new thing due to your close minded thinking. Now go run along to another forum and bash another new apple users who had a rough start. There are plenty of us out there remember you were new once also

Last edited:

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Really so you want me to package up a 27 inch iMac lug it to the store which is on the 4th floor of a mall. Lug it up 4 floors unpackage it wait for a genius to see me to show me why my video won't load onto my iMac just to be told that it is because iTunes is down. Ummmm ya no thanks I'll use the common sense route which was finding out you can't authorize a iPad while iTunes is down which caused me to not be able to transfer my video. Boy for being a non tech savvy guy and realizing this is why I wanna jail break my iPad. Would of solved my problem at that time. Yet I'll just put my helmet back on and proced to going back to licking the windows and drooling get a clue buddy.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Really so you want me to package up a 27 inch iMac lug it to the store which is on the 4th floor of a mall. Lug it up 4 floors unpackage it wait for a genius to see me to show me why my video won't load onto my iMac just to be told that it is because iTunes is down. Ummmm ya no thanks I'll use the common sense route which was finding out you can't authorize a iPad while iTunes is down which caused me to not be able to transfer my video. Boy for being a non tech savvy guy and realizing this is why I wanna jail break my iPad. Would of solved my problem at that time. Yet I'll just put my helmet back on and proced to going back to licking the windows and drooling get a clue buddy.

So you were trying to authorize the iPad, not just copy video file? Maybe I misread previous posts.
To me, it makes sense - activation of any iDevice requires for the device to check with Apple's servers.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
True Mac has its pros for sure yet it also has its flaws. For example the other week I wanted to transfer a iMovie file to iTunes then onto my iPad sounds simple right. Well needless to say it wouldn't happen. Due to iTunes Store being down at that time it wouldn't let me transfer onto my iPad. I called AppleCare to double check and they told me until iTunes goes back online I couldn't do anything. Which really sucked cause it was my wife's ultra sound for our first child and we were heading to her parents house for thanksgiving. I ended up uploading video to YouTube instead to show them which wasn't ideal cause they have bad Internet took awhile to play but worked eventually. So just a example. I even joked with the AppleCare tech about this is why I should jailbreak my iPad lol she even agreed

I never even needed internet access to transfer files to the iPad :confused: Were you trying to do it over iCloud or what?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Huh?!?! I called apple and asked if that was a option was told if it would void the warranty even if it was a apple rep doing the swap. Guess like I said I got the not knowledgable AppleCare rep on that phone call

It may depend which country you are living in, but

1. If you or someone else breaks the Mac while doing the swap, that's not covered by warranty. So don't swap parts if you are particularly clumsy, and stabbing the insides of a Mac with a screwdriver is not a good idea.

2. If the new part damages the Mac, that's not covered by warranty. That's quite unlikely to happen. It is possible to get for example faulty RAM which stops the Mac from working, but swapping back fixes the problem.

3. Obviously the new part which wasn't sold to you by Apple is not covered by _Apple's_ warranty.

Apart from these obvious cases, warranty will be fine.

Liquidstate

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I started on PC's, then switched to Mac because I was in media design, then alternated platforms, depending on the projects. I like Macs better, but both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. Of course, the problem now is, both platforms are trying to reduce the complexity for average users by shielding them from data control issues. Hence, the "where are my dang files" problem.

For control of files on the Mac, I simply make an alias of my Documents folder and place it on the desktop next to the HD icon. One click and there they are.

If I can't find the files in the alias Documents folder, I do a Help search, look at the bottom of the search window for the file path, locate them, and then move them wherever I want them to be in the Documents folder.

Regarding the video slowdown, these days I'm into audio and know nothing about video. But I don't think a Mac of your spec should be choking since you are not doing intensive workloads. When I have an audio issue, I go straight to the pro audio sites, or Google my question and then look for specific posts on the issue on those sites. So that's my suggestion on how to solve your video issue.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
When I have an audio issue, I go straight to the pro audio sites, or Google my question and then look for specific posts on the issue on those sites. So that's my suggestion on how to solve your video issue.

Yes, that is what anyone normal would do, but not this guy:D he is just bashing apple, community, everything:D just because he can not google:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.