Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PoorImpulseCtrl

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Right. I look at the pace of "next big things" like this:
2001 iPod
2007 iPhone (6 yrs later)
2010 iPad (3 years later)
2012 (needed something new this year... and not something new that is only a new version of an old something or a new size of an old something).
2013 (really needs something new in 2013)
2014 (probably need another something new in 2014 or maybe early 2015).

These "next big things" need to be on the scale of impact that accompanied the big three above. Iteration or size changes are not on that scale. For example, rolling out an iPad 4 and an iPad Mini is not creating the demand for an iPad 4 AND an iPad Mini. Rolling out a new "next big thing" would be something that everyone would really want... not this vs. that.

Apple's revenue slope is such that the pace of innovation (of "next big things") must speed up. IMO, Apple is buying time by rolling out old "big things" (iterations) to more markets sooner than later (as they used to do). This will only work until a new iteration or size "next big thing" is launched to all markets on the same day.

A few more legs to the table are needed ASAP. The old legs are feeling the stress of trying to keep it all going up, up, up.

As WatchTheThrone posted below, the S releases aren't about new. They're about stability. I imagine some of the paint scuffing and other problems will be resolved in the 5S release.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
What??? Were you (PoorImpulseCtrl) meaning to reply to someone else's post but slugged mine in instead? I said nothing about paint scuffing. My posts aren't even about the iPhone (I'm talking about the need for Apple to roll out something new... that is not a new version of an iPod, iPhone, iPad or Mac).

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
While you may not see or understand the benefits of it just yet, once it's adopted by more manufacturers the advantages will be obvious. Wireless charging most certainly has a place in the near future.

As much as people complained about a new cable format with the new iphone, you'd think they'd cheer something being one step closer to not requiring a cable.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
While you may not see or understand the benefits of it just yet, once it's adopted by more manufacturers the advantages will be obvious. Wireless charging most certainly has a place in the near future.

The discussions I have seen about wireless charging suggest that lining the phone up in the wireless charging cradle is more hassle than the easily plugged in (because both sides are equivalent) Lightning connector.
For example, here is AnandTech's take on wirelessly charging a Nexus 4:
The Nexus 4 is Qi 1.1 wireless charging forum compliant, so any charger that is Qi compliant or includes the logo will charge it. Aligning the Nexus 4 on the Energizer mat is a bit tricky since the surface is slick and angled down, and the back of the Nexus 4 is primarily glass, but it isn’t difficult after you know where to align.

When wireless charging requires carefully laying down the device in a particular place at a particular angle, it's not at all clear what the value is as compared to a Lightning connector.
(Compare this with wireless synching which genuinely DOES have the advantages you'd expect from wireless --- it just works when your phone is somewhere in your house, without requiring that the phone be placed somewhere specific at a specific angle.)

lovemyapple

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks Apple

Apple releasing a 5S is great thing for those who upgraded there 2 year contract with the iPhone 5! because when the ip6 comes out, our 2 year contracts will be up for the ip6. and since the 5s will be the same look as the 5, it wont be a big loss for us who just upgraded. this is just my theory and it all works great for me and I'm guessing some of you, so thanks apple!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apples adding letters now .....

Will the future iPhone's then be, like how car manufactures name their models ?

eg ... introducing the new iPhone GTS ...... a self-driving iPhone. No fingers required.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
No offense, but this is one thing I don't like. Too many people are obsessed with "new" and change for the sake of change. Unless the new phone gives you a feature you need or fixes a problem you have, why do we want/need something new & different?

I'm still on my iPhone 4. I'm ready to upgrade in September 2014. Only a year and a bit away. :D

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Seriously apple needs to stop coming out with new ios devices so close together. People are getting irritated. Coming out with an ios device once a year is reasonable.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
Apple releasing a 5S is great thing for those who upgraded there 2 year contract with the iPhone 5! because when the ip6 comes out, our 2 year contracts will be up for the ip6. and since the 5s will be the same look as the 5, it wont be a big loss for us who just upgraded. this is just my theory and it all works great for me and I'm guessing some of you, so thanks apple!

ohh great another speed bump to run the same apps that still run on the 3 year old devices also...lool and more speed to run the same boring IOS UI that has no cool effects at all not even scrolling wall papers...lol sad

----------

Seriously apple needs to stop coming out with new ios devices so close together. People are getting irritated. Coming out with an ios device once a year is reasonable.

especially since the all do the same thing and look the same.. omg the IOS UI is so old and boring now its just sad

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada

They are evolving to be on par with competitors. They have to come out with product more often.

why does it bother you? Because you won't have the latest and greatest and be able to show it off in front of everyone? Having the latest and greatest material thing really isn't that big of a deal

Like seriously I could care less if the 5s comes out. I have my iPhone 4 for years while the 4s and the 5 came out and I didn't care.

Now I have a 5 and could care less about the 5s or the 6. I'll upgrade when I'm ready.

Just because they are coming out with something new doesn't mean you HAVE to get it.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
They are evolving to be on par with competitors. They have to come out with product more often.

why does it bother you? Because you won't have the latest and greatest and be able to show it off in front of everyone? Having the latest and greatest material thing really isn't that big of a deal

Like seriously I could care less if the 5s comes out. I have my iPhone 4 for years while the 4s and the 5 came out and I didn't care.

Now I have a 5 and could care less about the 5s or the 6. I'll upgrade when I'm ready.

Just because they are coming out with something new doesn't mean you HAVE to get it.

you are right i don't have to buy. but coming out with a new i device every 6 months is creating igadget fatigue. and there isn't really much that separates the i devices other than a few gimmicky features. if apple was making drastic changes then i could understand that.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
You're the reason they're developing a new phone: to get the kinks out of the manufacturing process.

----------

Thank you! People get so self absorbed in forums and fail to understand that Apple didn't build their business model catering to 5 hipsters and their cousins and girlfriends. As Apple grew into a consumer electronics company with the success of the iPod, dropping 'Computer' from the name and such, they had to balance their California-centric approach with a global outlook to sustain their growth. This is what I believe Tim, Eddy and co. are attempting to do with each of their products, hence the attenna redesign b/w the 4 to 4S, the delay of LTE until the 5 and so on.

That's the problem. Apple doesn't get the process right before selling it to the masses. They're becoming like any other company that doesn't know when to say no and just sells crap.

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I guess that's the difference between you and me.

Wireless charging strikes me as completely pointless.

NFC is a solution looking for a problem.

Is the night camera ACTUALLY awesome, or just the faked videos of it? (That's snark, yes, but also serious. The last I heard about it was about the fakes, and I've not encountered anything since then indicating it's truly spectacular.)

I live in LA, so the gloves business doesn't affect me, but sure, that's a genuine point. Though I don't know what the tradeoffs there are, for example in higher power use, or maybe you can't fuse the touchscreen and the LCD?

So yeah --- there is scope for improvement in the camera via optical stabilization, and in a touchscreen usable by gloves. Are those worthy of the hysteria surrounding the idea of a 6 month update? I don't think so.

The night camera is light years ahead of the iphone 5 and the rest of the competition. After taking quite a few night videos / pictures ( drunk photos ) its not even a contest. First camera phone that legitimately can replace your P/S at night.

Wireless charging is simple to use for Lumia (you can drop it anywhere) and lets be honest all of us sometimes leave our phone on our desks cause we are too lazy to bend over and plug it in. Its human nature. I find my phone is now almost always 100% charged.

NFC no use yet in the states, but in Asia and other countries it is widespread. When I was in taiwan, almost everything was done via NFC (buying groceries, subway system, etc).

The only thing that sucks is the APP issue compared to my old i4, but software issues always can get worked out in the end. Its the hardware that really matters.

Oh and the "tank" has been dropped quite a few times, and only micro scratches to show for it without any case. :D:D

Did I mention its out of contract price almost $300 cheaper than the iphone 5?! :confused::confused:

I am actually glad APPLE is releasing products on a 6 month scale. Hopefully price margins will be at a more reasonable rate then previous products. Cause if they continue their current path, their market share will start to decrease. Especially since Jellybean has finally reached a point where Android is fluid and comparable to iOS.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
So Steve had nothing do with the iPhone 5 design or the fact that it doesn't have a big a** screen? If Steve was still around Apple would have a 5" plastic phone?

Well I wound't go as far as plastic but yep Steve was infamous for his day to day control and reality check! thats why when Eric goddam Schmidtaface came out with the statement Google are winning the war you bet your bottom arse dollar that Steve would have had a good smart arse reply!!!

So get a grip and face reality Apple are fantastic but not unbeatable..especially if they stop looking at the primary focus and thats inventing, not just the dollar signs!

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I'm not sure I understand how 12 months is too slow when most people take out 2 year contracts when they buy these things.

People who are in the middle of their cycles. You see, I think both carriers and shareholders will be pleased with a new iPhone every 8-9 months or so.

If indeed an S is coming, i'll probably buy a 5 with the $100 discount

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.