Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:22 AM   #1
DeafRaiders
macrumors regular

Best External HDD

I need a External HDD for backup Mac and store videos onto it. I don't know what size I need and what kind is best? I have my iTunes Library on my Netgear Ready NAS Duo v1. I thinking of moving it over to external HDD. My Library is not so big it only under 40GB. I usually edit Holiday videos and learning After Effects from time to time. I am leaning towards WD passport just because they are cheaper I can get 2x1TB for 138.90 on Amazon. Will the time machine auto detect my external Hdd to use as Backup? I am curious about the size of videos and moving them between the external HDD and into Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. Most of people recommend me to buy a thunderbolt version of HDD because it transfers faster. They are still expensive.

Recommend me guys.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:30 AM   #2
MCAsan
macrumors 68030

What ports do you have on your Mac? Common transport protocols from fastest: thunderbolt, USB 3, FW 800, USB 2, FW 400. Then there is the networking protocol TCP/IP running over either net which can be 10/100/1000. You would use ethernet, or wifi, towards a Time Capsule or NAS.

Probably the best value (speed for the cost) is USB 3 or FW 800.

Personally I use thunderbolt drives for data storage and a Time Capsule via ethernet for backups.
iPad Air | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3
DeafRaiders
macrumors regular

I am getting the new 27 iMac. I already have a router so don't need a time capsule. Just for router and backup just want portable harddrives. Can you partition the portable hard drive?
DeafRaiders is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:07 PM   #4
MCAsan
macrumors 68030

never tried to partition a small portable HD. But I would think that is totally possible with disk utility. 1TB drives are so cheap these days...do you really need to partition one?

You tell Time Machine which connected drive is to be used for backups. Then make sure all of your internal drive and all of any regularly connected external drives are included in the backup. As I remember the Time Machine default is to backup everything that is not specifically excluded.
iPad Air | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals