Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Hi, I am on a steep learning curve with my new iMac.

The initial setup seemed to be going OK, but I was called away part way through.

When I came back I had to login (fair enough) but the iMac resolutely refused to accept the password I had created and made a careful note of. :(

After a search on this forum I manged to boot using Cmd-R and create a new password, however I got in a muddle with Keychain, and I now cannot do anything without a demand for the "Keychain" password popping up, which is obviously not the same one.

I expect I have done something wrong but would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Follow this to reset your Keychain.

On your original problem, could you have accidentally turned on CAPS lock? Passwords are case sensitive and that may have messed you up.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
You might try repairing keychain, keychain first aid is in the menu under kechain access.

Thanks for reply, I found that, the verify and repair run OK, but there did not appear to be any password set for that user!

If I try to do anything else I still get this request for the keychain password, I seem to be in a loop. :confused:

----------

Follow this to reset your Keychain.

On your original problem, could you have accidentally turned on CAPS lock? Passwords are case sensitive and that may have messed you up.

Thanks, that link has sorted that problem, I did check the Caps lock idea but it wasn't that.

I just need to find out why none of my contacts etc have transferred from Outlook.

I will get it right eventually.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just need to find out why none of my contacts etc have transferred from Outlook.

I will get it right eventually.

Do you still have access to the Outlook machine? Just export the contacts as a VCF file as explained in the "workaround" section of this page. Then you can import the VCF file(s) in OS X Contacts.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Do you still have access to the Outlook machine? Just export the contacts as a VCF file as explained in the "workaround" section of this page. Then you can import the VCF file(s) in OS X Contacts.

Hi,

I have failed to get any Outlook data across so far. I re-ran the Migration assistant as I thought I had cleared some of the directories the first time and that might have meant that MA could not find the Outlook data. This made no difference.
I have looked at your suggestion, but the Microsoft page is not clear to me. What is "Entourage"? I tried exporting the vCards in an e-mail to myself, and this message is in Mail. I then tried to "Import" into Contacts, but all that happened was that a page of stuff appeared that had no relation to any mail message or list of contacts.

If you hall further I would appreciate it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi,

I have failed to get any Outlook data across so far. I re-ran the Migration assistant as I thought I had cleared some of the directories the first time and that might have meant that MA could not find the Outlook data. This made no difference.
I have looked at your suggestion, but the Microsoft page is not clear to me. What is "Entourage"? I tried exporting the vCards in an e-mail to myself, and this message is in Mail. I then tried to "Import" into Contacts, but all that happened was that a page of stuff appeared that had no relation to any mail message or list of contacts.

If you hall further I would appreciate it.

Microsoft Entourage is their Mac version of Outlook.

So you have the VCF file of exported contacts from Outlook? Save that file from the email to your Mac desktop. Then go to Contacts and in the File menu click import and point to the VCF file on the desktop.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Microsoft Entourage is their Mac version of Outlook.

So you have the VCF file of exported contacts from Outlook? Save that file from the email to your Mac desktop. Then go to Contacts and in the File menu click import and point to the VCF file on the desktop.

Thanks for that, I have finally managed to get all my contacts into Contacts. :D

There will be other problems no doubt waiting in the wings, however to have a quick elegant machine on my desk is wonderful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.