Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:41 AM   #1
nelly22
macrumors regular

TRIM software

I try to find application which shows how many memory cells are not usable anymore or how many are still available in MacBook Pro internal SSD. Preferably CLI app. Thanks

"So one theory is that when the SSDs fail because of write cycle issues. you can still read the data off the drive, you just can't write anymore. Effectively making your SSD a read-only copy of your data when it failed."
nelly22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:43 AM   #2
maflynn

Wouldn't that type of information be at the SSD controller level and not generally available. That is the proprietary software that is used is not easily tapped into to retrieve this info. Check your SSD manufacturer to see if the have an app but I'm not sure one exists.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

I know some drive manufacturers have Windows programs to show usage time and write cycles etc., but I have never seen anything like that for OS X.

Here is a good article that talks about SSD cell lifespan. Bottom line under normal usage your computer will likely die or be replaced long before the SSD cells wear out.
Weaselboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store