Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
We heard the same complaint with the advent of HDTV, DVD, and even VCRs.

Yes, I was an early adopter of the latter two, I know, esp. in regards to DVD. VCRs initial use was time shifting TV shows. But lack of content is a legit reason why every consumer product using a new format takes a while for broad adoption, which was my point. The other major barrier, of course, is cost.

My first CD player back in 1985 (2nd gen) cost $500 and new releases came out weeks after the LP and tape version and were $16-20 each. That was 2nd gen. Imagine the first ones.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Right, sorry, I meant for the base model. The rMBP 15" is $2800. How much do you think a computer with a screen almost twice the size is going to cost?

I can see it now... "Just ordered my 27" iMac with 1TB SSD... $8299!!!"

LOL ^

i think start of 2014, as standard on all iMacs. End of 2013, BTO on the high end 27" and high end 21".

This BTO will be EX-PEN-SIVE. just like SSD's when they came out.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
I think it will come with the Mac Pro first

There will be like a retina version of Thunderbolt Display alongside standard next year

All current Macs can only handle 2560x1600 through TB or miniDP. So a retina Thunderbolt Display won't be out soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.