Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:21 PM   #1
LA89
macrumors newbie

Mac Mail Madness

Hello all,

Fairly new to the Mac Community but proud to be using it - it is brilliant.

Here is my little bug bear though which I am looking for some advise on please.

I've currently got a Macbook Pro, iPad2 and an iPhone. They are all set up using the Mac Mail to retrieve emails from my MSN Hotmail Account. Happy with this so far.

As I receive an email via my MSN account, all three devices will inform me of such; unless the original email is deleted from the MSN inbox.

This becomes a little bit laboreous and repetative as I find myself having to action the same email again and again unless I am constantly logging into MSN to clear the inbox out.

Ideally: i'd like to be able to receive emails on my Mac, at the time the email is received on the Mac have it automatically deleted from MSN. If it is clear of MSN, I know I wont get that same email on the iPhone or iPad when I click the email icon a few days later when I am at work.

Equally, I need to be able to delete emails received from my iPhone or iPad, but still receive them to my Mac - which makes me presume I can not have the email automatically deleted from MSN when I delete it on the iPhone or iPad.

A little strange request, I am sure, but this is the challenge I face, I pose the situation to the floor for your helpful comments...

Many thanks.
LA89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:45 AM   #2
SpetsnaZ99
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA89 View Post
Ideally: i'd like to be able to receive emails on my Mac, at the time the email is received on the Mac have it automatically deleted from MSN. If it is clear of MSN, I know I wont get that same email on the iPhone or iPad when I click the email icon a few days later when I am at work.
Open 'Mail' app on the Mac. Go to 'Preferences' then 'Accounts' then select the 'Advanced' tab. If you have multiple mail accounts highlight the Hotmail one, now check the box which says 'Remove copy from server' and select 'Immediately' from the drop down list
[IMG][/IMG]
SpetsnaZ99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:51 PM   #3
LA89
macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Would the same thing happen then if I deleted the email first from my iPad or iPhone? I'm hoping it will!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:25 AM   #4
SpetsnaZ99
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA89 View Post
Would the same thing happen then if I deleted the email first from my iPad or iPhone? I'm hoping it will!
If your accessing your hotmail account via the web browser on the phone or ipad then yes it will because you are physically logged onto the server, however if your using the 'Mail' app on the device then it wont because the mail app is basically just syncing your phone/ipad with your hotmail account, not sure if it marks as read when it downloads though, perhaps someone else knows the answer to that one.
SpetsnaZ99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5
LA89
macrumors newbie

This all seems to be working now. I managed to change the settings on my iPad to remove the message from the server when the iPad message is moved from the inbox.

Result - one tidy mail box working just as I like it!

Thanks for the support guys. Problem resolved

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help