Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blimey48

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
Who cares. I want Apple to launch great products, and I don't care who does that or who coordinates it, as long as they get the job done in the best of ways.

Or would you prefer Miley Cyrus or Dave Grohl to be the CEO because they have more "entertainment value"?

It would be awesome if Dave Grohl were the CEO of Apple :D

mrxak

macrumors 68000
The hurdle is the content. There is not much at 4k and it will take years to become mainstream.
Apple challenge is more about distribution than actually the quality( 720p/1080p/4k) of the content.
Not sure a TV set is the game changer, but a system to deliver content that you want on demand.
I believe the solution could be in a box (ATV?) and not the TV set itself.

As I said, I'm ready for 4K, even though the content isn't here yet. The point is, nobody's going to make that content unless somebody can watch it. Look how long it took us to get 1080p content, with most shows being 720p (or worse, 480p) upscaled on HDTVs that could handle 1080p, long after 1080p HDTVs got cheap. If TV manufacturers waited for content, we might only start having 1080p TVs this year.

It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem, but historically content follows content-players both on the display side (TVs) and media side (disc players, streaming services).

The real hurdle, right now, is ISPs. 4K content will take a long, long time to download on most people's home internet connections. But get the TV sets and a tiny bit of content to the early adopters, and before long everything will be in 4K and ISPs will be forced to upgrade their networks by customer demand.

At people's ordinary viewing distances, I don't think we'll need to go higher than 4K, just as I don't think we'll ever need an ultra-retina display on our 4" iPhones. Right now, though, 1080p is inadequate for certain screen sizes and view distances. 8K may happen eventually, but I seriously doubt it outside of movie theaters. We're more likely to get holodecks.

Apple is the screen resolution champion, right now. I mean that largely in the sense that they are advocates. If any company can unilaterally go 4K and dare people to make content for it, it's Apple.

But, as I said, I don't think Apple is going to make a television set, or if they do, that it will be all that exciting. It will be Apple's TV service that changes the industry.

KellyC

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
I agree as well that the Mac Pro line will probably be made in the U.S. . Low volume, easy to build, and cheaper to ship the heavy product nationally.

As a business in manufacturing, the cost to move manufacturing to the U.S. is more then just a hourly wage increase. I know most people think that, it is just not the case. The taxes, EPA and local regulations put a huge amount of cost into the mix.

Then, if you actually have a company that succeeds the Unions will start looming.

We are not a business friendly country, manufacturing or otherwise. :(

It's a sad statement to say that we are not competitive and that we have a government that makes it so. Then this same government complains about the companies that use overseas outsourcing.

I would gladly build in America. Just make it so I don't go bankrupt and can make a profit. Ohh wait profit is a bad word

Calling it now.
US manufacturing unions will run Apple into the ground.
US taxpayers will have to save it because it's "too big to fail."
The next Democrat President will win re-election because the unions turn the red states where Apple sites new manufacturing centers blue.
...and high tech becomes yet another one of America's welfare industries.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
I don't think the cable carriers have the bandwith for 4k, and all the people on satellite won't be getting that grade of signal.

Someone mentioned smart TV's sucking, and I tend to agree. I have a Samsung 55" Smart TV (current model), and that portion of the TV sucks. Everything is so slow, the YouTube app doesn't work (doesn't work on my PS3, either), and there's so little memory I can't watch Youtube videos through the browser that are over about 10 minutes or Ill get an error saying the memory is not sufficient to play the video.

I was ironically, watching a tech channel where they were talking about how crappy the hardware is in stuff other than computers, and asked why this stuff is so expensive yet they use the most generic crappy processors. Even using something like a cheap Intel i3 in stuff would solve most of these type of issues...so that is something I would hope someone like Apple could work on. My TV came with a bluetooth keyboard which helps a lot using the Smart TV function but doesn't have the power in the hardware it needs to run smoothly. Everything is SLOW or doesn't work.

Should have just bought a cheaper TV and hooked up a Mac Mini to it...

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
You make being gay sound like a bad thing. Sorry for making this a PRSI issue, but I don't see how being or even appearing gay affects business decisions. I'm straight, but I don't care if Tim's gay, straight, bi, Christian, Jewish, Muslim or what as long as he's a good person that makes Apple produce good products.

I don't even care if he's "Creepy". That's a pretty vague accusation.

----------

It would be awesome if Dave Grohl were the CEO of Apple :D

Just Imagine the Keynotes!

----------

Yep... Way much more thin... with a screen... without any super drive... and with integrated graphics... ;)

That's the Mac Am.

----------

Personally, I didn't find Steve Jobs charismatic... He just annoyed me... It's my opinion, even if I'm not allowed to say it...

I'm not saying it as well.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
AppleTV now does have connections/relationship with MLB and the NBA, do they not?

I am an NBA fan, and my team is the Los Angeles Lakers. I have the NBA League Pass Broadband so that I can watch Laker games (and four other teams of my choosing) from Louisville, KY.

They would still need the NFL (that is the vital sports get), but aren't they getting there?

MLB and the NBA are far and away the most aggressive in marketing their digital rights. But both of those sports have a limited national market for regular season games. They are both largely regional sports

But your right, the big 'get' out there is football. I think about how protective the NFL has been with making Sunday Ticket the exclusive channel for a la carte game. Would there be a day they'd risk that billion dollar deal to cut out DirecTV and allow a broadband package without a subscription? I just don't know if the money is there yet.

College football is another one. More and more conferences are looking to market their own rights. A conference network may be open to selling their digital market on the side for 3rd tier rights games. But would one of networks be forward thinking enough to do it? Especially when it would be directly harming their own products.

It'll be interesting to watch it all unfold...

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
If it's a 4K TV set, I'm all for it. I am ready to put 1080p TVs behind me even if the content isn't there yet. If it's just a 1080p, Apple-branded TV set, it's going to be a big yawn. I don't care how intuitive the touchscreen remote control is, and I still don't think Siri will work for changing channels.

Which is why I think Apple is going the STB route, not the TV route. If they bring content to your TV a la carte on demand without ads or schedules, that will very easily obsolete the existing television model. Look at what they did to music, making it available to you wherever, whenever, on a track-by-track basis. Music labels hated it, they wanted to sell physical albums, and sell you filler tracks you don't care about. They wanted DRM, they wanted restrictions on devices. Apple has, for the most part, convinced them now that there's a better way. Music was changed forever.

TV needs a similar shake-up. We should throw in movies, too, and why not? People are already not going to the movie theater as often as they used to. It should be relegated to the same crowd who likes going out to hear bands perform live at concerts, a special event, rather than everyday music listening. I think most people are happier watching new releases in the comfort of their own homes. So let's say all TV, all movies, it's all just video content created by a handful of major studios. Let's also accept the fact that everyone now uses DVRs and skips over ads, and even before then, they were leaving the room to urinate, get snacks, or sat around talking with their friends and family, rather than watching ads. The ad-supported television model has been broken for many, many years. It's make-believe, and while the studios have done a good job convincing advertisers that they're providing eyeballs with their video content, it's just not true. They need to adjust their model to either viewer-supported or product placement.

We all know what the future is going to be. Just as music piracy showed that music consumers weren't happy with the state of affairs in the recording industry, TV and movie piracy spurred on by faster and faster internet speeds, shows that video consumers aren't happy with the state of affairs in the television industry. Just as Apple was able to revolutionize the way people buy and listen to music, they can do the same with video. Apple already sells video, but it's not that good. Content is slow to arrive, and it's hardly complete. I know tons of people who use iTunes for music, I don't think I know anyone who uses it seriously for video.

Now, maybe Apple is going to bring out a TV set with a big hard drive in there and a fancy remote and UI, complete with wifi, airplay, all that stuff. But if the Apple TV is remarkable, it's going to be because of the service on the backend. If it's an easy subscription service that gives you unlimited access to all video content under the sun, kind of like a Netflix but with TV shows as they are made and movies as they're released, rather than delayed or restricted, it's going to be good. There can't be ads, because ads suck and I don't think Apple wants to sell ads again. You get the content you want, when you want it, on any device you want, streamed in 1080p for a flat monthly rate. That's great. Alternatively, you buy only what you want and you own it and can watch it how and where you like, and all that content is immediately available as soon as it's available anywhere else.

The point is, the physical TV Apple might sell is just an iPod, and an iPod isn't worth much without iTunes.

It's possible...the million (actually billion) dollar question is will it make more money than the current model.

The music industry was different in that it completely unprepared for the digital age and the entire Napster episode forced the music industry to the brink. They had to move to a different model to surive.

While the TV model isn't ideal, is it broken enough to force industry change.

The current TV model is essentially 'all you can eat' for a set price. How would viewing habits change if people were forced to pay 'a la carte' pricing for content? Some would argue it would force the content to improve. Others would argue that it would result in a watering down of content to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I think a lot of the content that is produced now on the backs of popular network shows would die a quick death if forced to live on their own.

The movie model is a bit more interesting. Movie ticket sales has been flat for the past 7 years, with a modest increase in revenue mostly spurred by ticket pricing. Home theater equipment has no doubt had an impact as many people have no problems waiting for a movie to come to video.

The question I have is whether or not people would be willing to pay a premium to get that content sooner? I think there is a market for some movies. A blockbuster like 'The Avengers' could probably get a family to drop $29.99 for a same day release and the comfort of watching in their home theater instead of the multiplex. But I'm not sure most movies could do that.

The music industry was ripe for evolution, i'm not sure the TV or film industry is there yet.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Wow so scripted.

Tim Cook hasn't offered anything new. He's on a strick course of setting good PR.

Watch the post interview with Brian Williams & joshua topolskyi of the verge. They pretty much agree that Tim cook was a robot
What were you expecting/hoping for him to say?

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I don't know yet what Apple's future has in store with Tim Cook as CEO, but I don't think it's entirely fair to judge and criticize Tim Cook for not being Steve Jobs, as if anything less than Steve means certain death for the company.

The closest parallel that I can think of is Disney. The company did not die or stop innovating with the death of Walt Disney in 1966. Walt was an example of the ultimate renaissance man and the company was born from his talent, drive, and hypercreativity. You won't hear many people arguing that his latter successors Eisner or Iger are half as creatively talented as Walt, and yet Disney the corporation has not only endured but continued to grow.

micawoli

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
I know, a little off topic...

hey can anyone tell me the app/software program that is on the computer of the nbc staff person during the interview Part 1 5:53. It looks like a dashboard with a bunch of twitter accounts on it. Would be interested in having something like that for my computer.

Thanks!

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
That interviewer guy is a joke. Has access to a brilliant CEO and wastes 1/2 his time trying to get insider info. What a douche.

U have no idea what you are talking about.

The apple pR team approved those questions and Tim cook was trained off script to answer.

Before you call someone a bad name look at yourself in the mirror.

Brian Williams is successful and wealthy.

You are none of these.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
That interviewer guy is a joke. Has access to a brilliant CEO and wastes 1/2 his time trying to get insider info. What a douche.

I can't believe that Brian Wallace really thought that Tim was going to give up any inside info. I was just hoping for more substance, something a little deeper than the standard PR answers.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
At people's ordinary viewing distances, I don't think we'll need to go higher than 4K,

We don't need to go beyond 1080p for most viewing distances/screen sizes. 1080P is already Retina quality for the majority of cases.

just as I don't think we'll ever need an ultra-retina display on our 4" iPhones.

Ultra-Retina? Do you even know what the term Retina means in computing contexts? Simply put, it means the eye cannot distinguish the individual pixels, so there is no such thing as ultra-retina. Greater pixel density is indiscernible, and so useless and a waste of resources.

Right now, though, 1080p is inadequate for certain screen sizes and view distances.

True, but those are atypical usages since they involve sitting very close to the screens given the relative screen size, which is disorienting and bad for your eyes anyway. The future is going to be about better contrast ratios and colors(including deeper blacks).

8K may happen eventually, but I seriously doubt it outside of movie theaters. We're more likely to get holodecks.

Even 4k is unlikely unless marketing and advertising can convince people they can see what they physically can't.

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
I hope this TV is amazing and has an Apple TV built in. Also, a face time camera, be extremely thin, fast refresh rate, support 3D without glasses, and be 4k resolution.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
8K may happen eventually, but I seriously doubt it outside of movie theaters. We're more likely to get holodecks.

It's a very rare thing now, actually. I'm a student and I work in the production dept. of my University's planetarium and we work with 8K x 8K video that gets split up between 6 projectors in realtime. I would say that even the professional film industry probably isn't ready for this, though.

We have a small render farm, but still consistently have to make sacrifices on animation render quality/elements because it takes so long to render. The stuff we're doing isn't really that high end of stuff either. Not to mention the massive time it takes for files to be transferred, etc. One frame is 70MB, which is just a massive data rate that I don't see being feasible for home use anytime soon.

I agree that home use for 8K is a ways off, if it ever happens. Right now, it's suited for a 70 foot diameter dome, and it's new even for that.

Here.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Tim kept saying "no other company does this, no one can do this." I think he's really saying "we have changed your life so be effing grateful... this isn't easy."

Its annoying how critical we are of apple. People who say apple is dead; How on earth does that thought even enter ones head. They're one of the most innovative, culturally relevant, and profitable company in the history of the world. That's not fanboyism.

The expectation that apple will continue to change the tech world every few years is preposterous, and naive. And the thought that if they don't do it they're dead is even dumber. If all they did for the next 10-20 years was make the best smartphone they'll do just fine.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I can't believe that Brian Wallace really thought that Tim was going to give up any inside info. I was just hoping for more substance, something a little deeper than the standard PR answers.

true, but remember that Brian Wallace has a producer who helped set the questions up.

Oh and they mentioned that it took months of talks with Apple to get the interview so I'm sure it was a like an actor during press releases where they have a handler or 2 ensuring certain questions aren't asked :)

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
How is that sad?? Brian Williams has always been a bore to me and him mentioning Kendrick made him less boring!!

Name dropping takes boorishness to a higher level.
But then what do you expect from a $10 million a year
talking head who spends two hours a day in makeup. :hairflip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.