Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:52 PM   #1
erikbailey
macrumors newbie

Subjectively - how slow is iMac 21.5" 5400rpm disk?

Hi - I'm looking to replace an old Windows XP machine as a media and file server (also serving iTunes for our AppleTV 1), and also be a small family computer. The new iMac 21.5 suits my needs perfectly (also considering a Mac mini, but like the integration of the iMac). I will also be supplementing this with a rMBP 13 in the coming months to do Lightroom work, so the target for this machine really is just as a server and light family use.

I have used SSDs exclusively for years, so going back to a pokey spinning disk doesn't thrill me. But $450 is a significant premium to pay for an SSD ($200 jump from base 21.5 to higher model, and another $250 for the Fusion disk). I have a 2x1TB Thunderbolt disk I'll be using as a RAID 1 storage array regardless of what internal drive I use.

Does anyone here have the base model new iMac with the 5400 disk? How is standard usage? (boot time isn't really an issue, since as a server it will be on 24x7) For example, web browsing, word processing, etc. Nothing fancy. [hopefully the display can turn off without the computer going to sleep...]

I know that I can also add a TB SSD as a replacement disk, but would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks! --Erik
erikbailey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac