Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:02 PM   #1
jf1450
macrumors member

Considering purchasing a MacBook Pro

A couple weeks ago I bought a new Asus notebook with Windows 8 installed. Great computer and *fast* but....

Trying to put a tablet style interface on a computer operating system is, in my most humble opinion, ludicrous. Full screen apps from the "Metro" interface really hit me today when I wanted to refer to an email from the Win 8 email app (runs under Metro) to my web design software which is FrontPage and runs under the desktop. You can't do it, or, you can but I didn't have the desire nor the time to figure it out. I've been 'in the business' since the mid 80's so I know my way around. I'm now an Oracle / PeopleSoft development team lead.

To make a short story long, I'll be thinking it over through the weekend but am about ready to bite the bullet, leave Windows, and exchange this laptop for a MacBook Pro. I've got all the other iStuff and my wife has a MacBook so I know the advantages. To be compatible with work I'd need either a Citrix VPN client that runs under the Mac OS or, worst case, I'd install VMware and run Windows 7 under that to use the VPN client. I know I could blow away Win 8, install 7 and be done with it. I'd also need a remote desktop client. But what's the point if this is the future direction of Microsoft? Hypothetical question...

Oh yeah, my other gripe is, they say how blazingly fast Win 8 starts up. Yeah, right. Sure, you get to the signon screen in about 15 seconds but what they don't say is after that, there's still about a minute or so of the spinning wheel while the OS continues to load. All they did was throw the screen up on the monitor. No way does the entire OS load that fast. What a ruse.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I guess I'm just trying to justify to myself the added cost. Thinking cap back on...

/babble mode off

-jeff

Last edited by stridemat; Dec 7, 2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: update thread title
jf1450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
MCAsan
macrumors 68030

I ran the Win 8 beta. Then I retired which gave me the freedom to run from Win 8. Both the wife and I are happy with an Apple ecosystem of rMBP, iPhone, and iPad. Last night I set up our Marantz stereo to do AirPlay from the Macs, phones and pads .
iPad Air 2 | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

I am still a Windows users on top of my Apple ecosystem, but Win8 is JUNK.

I hope XBOX doesnt turn into touch gaming..... ugh.
Orlandoech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Krazy Bill
Banned

You guys are selling Win8 too short and abandoning it way too early. There are utilities now that let you avoid the Modern (Metro) screen entirely. (Plus, I'd bet that functionality will be added by MS one day soon).

That setup makes perfect sense to me. I love the minimalist feel and love Office 2013.

Windows 8 screams and works well on a tablet/notebook hybrid. Also, the PC makers are getting much better at mac-like trackpad gestures which is the only reason I still cling to my MBP.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro