Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
i'm at 1.4 TB with most of it being tv shows.

questions how do you guys back all this up?

mine is to big for internal drive so in theory I need to buy a minimum of two 3TB drives for iTunes. one to run library and the other to back up the external.

I spent to much money on storage with the drobo and that is just a brick so slow and noisy! looking for a better options?

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
I have three 1-TB drives and a 2-TB drive in my Mac Pro plus four 1-TB drives and two 2-TB drives installed in three 2-drive external enclosures. I use a hard drive docking station for backing up to drives that are stored off-site.

I've given up using DVDs and CDs for backup since I had a rash of discs only seven years old go bad from disc rot.

darko256

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
My collection contains of 80 GB music, 300 GB films and 50 GB TV shows.

My mid-2011 iMac 27''/16 GB RAM/256 GB SSD/2 TB HDD is a dual-boot machine. This is due to the nature of my work, because as an architect I am frequently running Revit, 3D Max Design and Access (which are Windows-only software). I’m used to call these machines (halves of my iMac) The Force (OSX ML) and The Dark Side (W7U64). To squeeze every pound I avoid virtualization software and switch through BootCamp, i.e. in the working hours computer runs as a Windows workstation (Geekbench score about 15000:D) while on the leisure the computer is pure Macintosh:apple:.

Every machine possesses equal part of SSD (128 GB) as a software partition and equal part of HDD (1TB) as a data partition. The Force machine is backuped through a 2TB time capsule respectably The Dark Side machine is backuped through 2TB WD Elements external HDD.

The collection is mirrored on two iTunes (you know that you are allowed to authorize up to 5 computers): on iTunes on The Force (computer 1) and on iTunes on the Dark Side (computer 2). So basically I possess two equal collections on two machines physically on one HDD. Every collection is again stored on their respectable backup disc, which gives us 4 collections on 3 physical storages (double redundancy).

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
questions how do you guys back all this up?

Get Backblaze. $4/month for unlimited online backup. It'll take you a while to upload it, but that all happens in the background and the Backblaze client is smart about throttling.

If you ever need to restore from the backup, you can download the files or pay them to fedex you a hard drive.

KevKey

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
I have 43965 items, 119.1 days, 177.21 GB all music

What can I say, I have very eclectic musical tastes.

jomarr

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
I have 37 Gigs of music!

I don't really compile movies on iTunes but I have around 300 GB of those.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I really hope I never have over 1TB of music. There's really no need for all that. I'm at 45GB for music, 51 movies

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I'm currently reducing my iTunes library I've come to realize that accumulating hundreds of gigabytes of media content I don't use is exactly like hoarding and it's unnecessary. My goal is to have all of my music on my ipad (64gb) and have all of my absolute favourite songs on my phone (16gb).

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I'm at 53Gb of music. Movies and TV shows is where it's a hog. Had to build a file server to hold everything - 8x2TB drives in Raid6 (12TB total storage). 2.5 Tb TV shows, 3.7 Tb Movies. Server runs a media server to stream to my PS3.

Been considering an Apple TV since I can mirror my Macbook to it... but since my Movies are mostly ripped in MKV-AC3 format, I've heard Apple TV doesn't support it. Haven't researched too much into it, but anyone here know?
Real problem would be playing Anime... not exactly sure what format that's in lol

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Been considering an Apple TV since I can mirror my Macbook to it... but since my Movies are mostly ripped in MKV-AC3 format, I've heard Apple TV doesn't support it. Haven't researched too much into it, but anyone here know?
Real problem would be playing Anime... not exactly sure what format that's in lol

MKV is a real pain to convert. Handbrake and iFlicks will work in some cases.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
MKV is a real pain to convert. Handbrake and iFlicks will work in some cases.

I just use Handbrake. It takes ages with MKV but works.

If you're going -> MP4, you can check if the MKV is already encoded with x264, and just remux to MP4 - which will take minutes as oppose to hours :p.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I just use Handbrake. It takes ages with MKV but works.

If you're going -> MP4, you can check if the MKV is already encoded with x264, and just remux to MP4 - which will take minutes as oppose to hours :p.

Only problem is that I need subtitles - hence why I use MKV. Is there a way to convert MKV's to a format that Apple TV can use with subtitles that are not hardcoded?

Walls are thin and sometimes I like to watch a movie late at night. :p

Snarl

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Canada Eh
10117 Songs
174GB
Most at 256Bit AAC, some 320Bit MP3 however I'm slowly Re-Ripping to Apple Lossless so Size will slowly be increasing :)

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
Largest iTunes library? How many of the large ones are content exclusively purchased through iTunes??

I have mostly movies & tv shows around 2TB
Music some is 320Kbps MP3, 256Kbps AAC Matched audio, and Apple Lossless at about 1TB. I fitted a 4TB into the iMac and have a separate back-up drives for the itunes library specifically.

Only problem is that I need subtitles - hence why I use MKV. Is there a way to convert MKV's to a format that Apple TV can use with subtitles that are not hardcoded?

Actually in Handbrake, i believe there is a way to add Closed Captioning that is softcoded into the film. I did this with a few movies and in iTunes displays the option to turn on Closed Caption/Subtitles.

i think you just have to deselect forced or burn in...but i think its alot easier now.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

yeap, w/ handbrake you can, I have movies w/ several subtitles in one movie in mp4 from mkv Hell, I'm converting one right now

As for the OP my music library is around 19K songs w/out counting CD transfers :cool:

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
1.97 TB of Movies, TV shows and Music. I serve it all to 2 Apple Tv's through a DROBO.

I have a Firewire "Mount thing" (I can just plug a bare hard drive into it), I use that to back everything up about once every 2 months. Kind of old school on the backup but it works.

NeonMacintosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Woah! You guys have a huge ass iTunes library. :eek:

I only have 13.38Gb of music stored in my iTunes, right now. No TV shows, no movies what so ever. :rolleyes:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Get Backblaze. $4/month for unlimited online backup. It'll take you a while to upload it, but that all happens in the background and the Backblaze client is smart about throttling.

If you ever need to restore from the backup, you can download the files or pay them to fedex you a hard drive.

1.4TB...? Uploaded to the internet? Unless you have unIimited internet that’d kill your data cap for years (literially!) :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.