Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
At&t finally started letting you use facetime via lte and now youtube is back.

I don't think there's any reason to jailbreak my wife's ipad anymore. :D

Only thing we're missing now is google maps.

sindekit

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
I'm callling BS (again).

The latest version Jasmine had to have background audio removed at the request of Google's minions:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jasmine-youtube-client/id554937050?mt=8

This isn't something Google can't figure out, this is something Google doesn't want iOS users to be able to do. Quit while you're behind and stop making up excuses for them.

So it was intention for Chrome to not allow me to play music while not being in chrome?! That's uncool and makes me pretty disappointed in Google.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Now if we could just get that Google maps app back in the store. Then life would be good again in the iOS world.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
So it was intention for Chrome to not allow me to play music while not being in chrome?! That's uncool and makes me pretty disappointed in Google.

For Chrome, it's not under Google's control. UIWebView is the one responsible for media playback in an iOS "browser", and so if UIWebView does not enable audio playback in the background, it just won't happen in 3rd party browsers.

Mobile Safari does not use UIWebView.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Here's why I like the YouTube app:

It allows you to watch a video and scroll through comments or suggested/related videos at the same time.

On all other apps and even the YouTube mobile site through Safari, you can't do this. I enjoy clicking on a video and while the video rolls, browse all the view comments and contribute my own. It's more engaging than watching a video, then stop video to go read comments, see a comment that says "this part was great" or "time stamp X:XX is really good!" and having to go reload the video to see it again.

No other app does this. That is what made, IMO, the original Apple YouTube app great. And now this Google YouTube app has retained this feature.

Much better than some "in the background playing" feature. To me, YT is about interataction, and this is a key feature.

There have been a few other apps that do this.

McTube for one, which does it even better. You can explore other areas of Youtube while the video continues, not just read comments and related videos.

It also does background audio and background airplay which this one can't.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
For Chrome, it's not under Google's control. UIWebView is the one responsible for media playback in an iOS "browser", and so if UIWebView does not enable audio playback in the background, it just won't happen in 3rd party browsers.

Mobile Safari does not use UIWebView.

I can play audio in the background with iCab. So clearly it's not a limitation to UIWebView.

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
On a side note, I wish Apple would let us uninstall apps that they include but I have no interest in using, Newstand, for instance. You can't even move it to a folder and hide the thing.

Newstand is not too bad. I mean there are free mags so its not a totally pointless even if you dont want to buy anything, however Apps like Compass?! Why do we need that by default? :(

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Has anyone noticed that the ads that play before the video always run at the highest quality possible even on 3G? And if you are in 3G the video that follows gets the quality lowered.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Has anyone noticed that the ads that play before the video always run at the highest quality possible even on 3G? And if you are in 3G the video that follows gets the quality lowered.

The video automatically gets limited to low quality if you are on cellular data, even LTE, no matter how fast your connection is. Funny (as in "ironic") that they would choose to burn through your data plan for ads but not content...

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Jasmine app is the answer ;)

Yeah, I even had the iTunes store link to Jasmine in my signature for a while, but took it out after Google strong-armed Jason Morrissey into removing basic background audio functionality:

Release Notes: Jasmine 1.0.3
------------------------

✤ The Bad:

These changes were requested by YouTube/Google Inc.

x Removed Automatic "Background Audio" playback. Native to iOS, this can still be invoked manually by double-tapping the home button, swiping right and hitting play
x Removed customisable skip/rewind controls
x Switched to YouTube compliant playback (adds 1-2 seconds to video load times and limits refinement around playlist auto-queueing)

Fortunately, I still have an older version, but someone new to Jasmine can only download the neutered 1.0.3 version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.