Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Zerozal
macrumors 6502

"Sorry, this application can not run in a virtual machine" ...

Got this error yesterday while trying to open DVDFab 6 under VMWare Fusion 2.0.5. All of my other needed applications run fine in VMWare, and DVDFab runs great via Bootcamp (Windows 7 RC 7100). My last hurdle to be fully switched over from my old PC is to get DVDFab up and running, preferrebly in VMWare so I don't have the hassle of having to reboot.

I have an email in to the developer of DVDFab asking for advice, but wanted to also ask here. Does anyone have any workarounds for this error message (not necessarily just for DVDFab, but in general)?

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:38 PM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Not everything can be run in a virtual machine. Some things will only run under bootcamp. Usually it's something that they don't provide virtualization for.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:41 PM   #3
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Virtualization is a different thing than dual booting. A dual booting situation only permits one OS at time between re-boots so everything tuns native. Vitualization uses emulation. I have never seen any software that will not function in a virtualization, but it is very possible that some software will not run using certain virtual drivers or the like as a security feature. I know its possible for Apps to know how they are being run (OSX server for example will only work standalone or on the Mac virtualization products). Its very possible that it can only access the drive if it is being natively run and not via a virtualization means for some reason.

You will have to consult the vendor of the application on what to do.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:49 AM   #4
rvmeush
macrumors newbie

I am running DVDfab 6.0.2.2 under VMware Fusion and it seems to be running okay. My mac is a Mini running OS X 10.5.6. I didn't have any problem installing or running DVDfab, it seems perfectly happy.

The only problem I have is that when I'm finished ripping a dvd and it is ejected, when I then put in another dvd it doesn't seem to be recognized as a new dvd. To get things to work, I have to quit DVDfab and restart. If anyone knows what this problem might be please let me know.
rvmeush is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:53 AM   #5
rvmeush
macrumors newbie

In my previous post I forgot to mention that I am running Windows XP in the VMware virtual machine.
rvmeush is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:50 PM   #6
technical88
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmeush View Post
I am running DVDfab 6.0.2.2 under VMware Fusion and it seems to be running okay. My mac is a Mini running OS X 10.5.6. I didn't have any problem installing or running DVDfab, it seems perfectly happy.

The only problem I have is that when I'm finished ripping a dvd and it is ejected, when I then put in another dvd it doesn't seem to be recognized as a new dvd. To get things to work, I have to quit DVDfab and restart. If anyone knows what this problem might be please let me know.
-------
this used to happen on my windows xp system (not virtual) on a gigabyte board. FYI
technical88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac