Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Shockwave78
macrumors 6502a

Is it just me or is the Gmail app much better now?

I have used gmail forever now and figured I would give the app another try since I last tried it a couple years ago. It was horrendous back then. It seems top notch now? Worthy of me actually moving it into my bottom row to replace the default iOS mail app. Figured I would give it a chance for awhile.

Any other opinions? Or tricks?

Thanks
Shockwave78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:01 PM   #2
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave78 View Post
I have used gmail forever now and figured I would give the app another try since I last tried it a couple years ago. It was horrendous back then. It seems top notch now? Worthy of me actually moving it into my bottom row to replace the default iOS mail app. Figured I would give it a chance for awhile.

Thanks
I love it. Most reviews have been very positive.
mrapplegate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:07 PM   #3
KirkL
macrumors 6502

Seems pretty good. My only complaint is that the notification badge shows unread emails, but there aren't any when I open the app
KirkL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Shockwave78
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkL View Post
Seems pretty good. My only complaint is that the notification badge shows unread emails, but there aren't any when I open the app
Hmm mine is working fine so far. Nice to have push email back though. I did not setup exchange since I got the i5.

Edit..actually this reminds me of why I gave the app a second chance today. I am so tired of Opening the default iOS mail app and waiting for it to update and tell me there is an email. Usually I see the data thing circling saying its doing something, then it stops, then starts again. By this time I usually figure I have no email an close the app out. Then I hear the notification sound indicating an email

I tHonk that first part of the data usage is syncing contacts or whatever other tHings are enabled for syncing from your account, then email follows. Should be reversed :

Last edited by Shockwave78; Dec 7, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Shockwave78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:21 PM   #5
KirkL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hmm mine is working fine so far. Nice to have push email back though. I did not setup exchange since I got the i5.

Edit..actually this reminds me of why I gave the app a second chance today. I am so tired of Opening the default iOS mail app and waiting for it to update and tell me there is an email. Usually I see the data thing circling saying its doing something, then it stops, then starts again. By this time I usually figure I have no email an close the app out. Then I hear the notification sound indicating an email

I tHonk that first part of the data usage is syncing contacts or whatever other tHings are enabled for syncing from your account, then email follows. Should be reversed :
Mine started acting up today. It was fine the past few days.

Yep. It's also nice to have proper conversation view back...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

It's quite slow on my 3GS after the 2.0 update, so I deleted it and went back to the default mail app using exchange.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:37 PM   #7
bteam
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I had a similar problem. After opening an unread message, the unread count wouldn't disappear.

It works now, but since I haven't experienced it in a few days it's an intermittent bug and programmers sure love those kinds of bugs.

I have no expectation of Google fixing it any time soon unless it personally affects a Gmail app developer.
bteam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Tea-Aholic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That happened to me too, but I had to force restart the app and now it works fine
Tea-Aholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:01 AM   #9
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:

Thanks
Works so much better than it did when Google first released it. I love how it automatically sends a notification when I get mail, like exactly when it comes into my inbox. It's so much better than the default mail application.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:30 AM   #10
Rich74
macrumors regular

Another +1 from me, really liking it.
Rich74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:36 AM   #11
1member1
macrumors 6502

I hate it. gave it 1 star and deleted it.
1member1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:57 AM   #12
KirkL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Aholic View Post
That happened to me too, but I had to force restart the app and now it works fine
I arbitrarily marked a read email as unread and then I "read" it. This solved the problem for me

But now it won't send any emails I had to close and re-open the app for it to work.

It's definitely better than before, but still needs a bit of work to iron out bugs like these...
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Vetvito
macrumors 6502

Does it offer unified emails in one view like the stock app?
Vetvito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:53 AM   #14
KirkL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetvito View Post
Nope
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Scott-n-Houston
macrumors 6502

I love it. On advice from a friend I installed it so I could audibly hear a personal email vs a work email (using the native mail app).

It's now on the bottom row. I love that it's push, and notifications are instant.

Scott in Houston
Scott-n-Houston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-n-Houston View Post
I love it. On advice from a friend I installed it so I could audibly hear a personal email vs a work email (using the native mail app).

It's now on the bottom row. I love that it's push, and notifications are instant.
I use Divide to isolate work EMail, calendar, and domain contacts.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/divide/id527098963?mt=8
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:15 PM   #17
m00min
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetvito View Post
Unified inbox is about the only feature not folded in from Sparrow
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:00 PM   #18
RWil85
macrumors 6502

Nobody in the thread compared it back to stock Mail app...

Upgrade?
RWil85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:41 PM   #19
jordancrombie92
macrumors regular

much prefer it! got 3 gmail accounts and can easily access them from the app without any hassle of constantly physically signing in and out. much faster, quite like the loading icon.

My only criticisms.
  • Not having the next/previous email arrows, for quickly moving through emails.
    Not having an option to mark all as read or a select all button

Personally I find it a lot easier and a much nicer experience compared to Apple's Mail app
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:58 PM   #20
SuperSnake2012
macrumors 6502a

The app works well but I noticed since installing it, my battery life has been dropping faster than ever. I disabled all of my accounts to see if the app has been causing it.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:02 PM   #21
RWil85
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordancrombie92 View Post
much prefer it! got 3 gmail accounts and can easily access them from the app without any hassle of constantly physically signing in and out. much faster, quite like the loading icon.

My only criticisms.
  • Not having the next/previous email arrows, for quickly moving through emails.
    Not having an option to mark all as read or a select all button

Personally I find it a lot easier and a much nicer experience compared to Apple's Mail app
True.

I found myself trying to swipe between emails, etc - how could they not put that into the app?

Also, the user above me posted about battery life - being that it pushes multiple accounts vs. Apple Mail's fetch schedule, I'd imagine it would consume more battery.
RWil85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6