Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
The iPhone should always come unlocked or be easy to unlock, no matter where you buy it from. It makes no sense to me that the carriers don't want just anyone to plug in another SIM card for international use. The fact that they do is unfair. Unlocked or not, we will still have to pay a monthly bill.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Makes no sense to you?

Cost of iphone unlocked - $699
Cost of iphone on contract - $199
Difference = $500 = amount the carrier subsidized your purchase

Early termination fee = $350
(for most US carriers that carry an iphone, for their smartphone plans)

So, if the subsidized phone came unlocked, you could:
(1) sign the contract and buy for -$199
(2) break contract, pay early termination fee -$350
(3) sell iphone for +$699
(4) net profit +$150, at the expense of the carrier

Most carriers let you unlock the phone after you've owned it a few months and pay your bills on time, in order to avoid the above scenario.

Otherwise, why would they let you just take $150 out of their pocket? If you were the carrier, would you let that happen?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

So they already get their money worth by forcing u to sign a 2-yrs contract, why the extra hassle (rhetorical question)?

But I do believe after a couple months or so u can call and tell them you are taking it out of the country and they will unlock it for foreign carriers but still no domestic.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Makes no sense to you?

Most carriers let you unlock the phone after you've owned it a few months and pay your bills on time, in order to avoid the above scenario.

Otherwise, why would they let you just take $150 out of their pocket? If you were the carrier, would you let that happen?

What you're saying makes no sense.

Does a locked phone have no value?

You could just sell it to someone who wants to use it on that carrier.

The reality is that SIM locking is designed solely to protect revenues - either from customers switching carriers domestically or when travelling abroad.

Subsidies have little to do with it - you'll often find subsidised phones are sold unlocked by carriers outside of the US, or where the carrier will unlock the phone for free within the contract period.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It's funny how locking the phone really wasn't an issue until the iPhone came out and came with a strict no unlocking policy due to an exclusivity agreement with AT&T. Before the iPhone you could call AT&T and they would have unlocked any other phone.

Blame apple I guess.

Now the point is moot as every full price iPhone in the US is unlocked (except Sprint)

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
So they already get their money worth by forcing u to sign a 2-yrs contract, why the extra hassle (rhetorical question)?
How do you suggest, instead of locking it, do they ensure you won't do what I said in my first reply and make a profit at their expense? How do they keep you honest? I'm serious, if you have a better scheme that would actually work, you might have a million dollar idea.

What you're saying makes no sense.

Does a locked phone have no value?

You could just sell it to someone who wants to use it on that carrier.

The reality is that SIM locking is designed solely to protect revenues - either from customers switching carriers domestically or when travelling abroad.

Subsidies have little to do with it - you'll often find subsidised phones are sold unlocked by carriers outside of the US, or where the carrier will unlock the phone for free within the contract period.
You can just sell it to someone else on that same carrier. Doesn't make a difference to the carrier. In that case, you're profiting from a third party, not from the carrier. The carrier still gets a monthly fee for that phone.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
You guys should buy factory unlocked phones and quit complaining.

I cannot believe anyone honestly thinks AT&T should subsidize your phone purchase and yet allow you to just cancel your contract and walk.

Entitlement mentality demonstrated yet again.

I just bought two phones for use in Malaysia. Unlocked. $749 each. No subsidies. No one is financing my phone purchase. No contracts.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Makes no sense to you?

Wrong,

Phone is $649

$199 for phone
$350 for ETF
$100 for one month service (you don't get out of paying that)

Total $649 without tax
Zero net profit.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Wrong,

Phone is $649

$199 for phone
$350 for ETF
$100 for one month service (you don't get out of paying that)

Total $649 without tax
Zero net profit.

You're right about the price. My bad.

Whether you have to pay for that first month fully depends on the contract. I have heard of people getting their last month of service prorated by the day.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
All phones should come unlocked. Locking phones should be banned globally. It serves no purpose.

And as already mentioned, buy your phone outright and unlocked, and get much lower monthly payments. Personally I'd never buy a locked phone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.