Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:51 AM   #1
pixelchild
macrumors member

new gmail app, can anyone swipe to delete?

hi. not sure if this option is hidden or i can't find it. i can't swipe to delete, only archive. thanks.
pixelchild is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Puonti
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelchild View Post
hi. not sure if this option is hidden or i can't find it. i can't swipe to delete, only archive. thanks.
I think Google wants to emphasize the idea that you don't need to delete anything and are thus offering Archive as a swipe action instead. Placing the delete option in a toolbar that appears at the bottom of the screen when checking off the boxes next to the messages doesn't seem like much of a hassle to me anyway.
Puonti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:23 PM   #3
beruo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It is a hidden option, and one that took me a LONG time to figure (but i'm slow like that). Go to Setting > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Gmail > then toggle Archive Messages to off. That replaces the Archive button with the trash can that used to be there and allows you to swipe to delete. HTH.

edit: nevermind. i skipped over the whole "new gmail app" part...that was in the title. all this is for the native mail app. my bad.

Last edited by beruo; Dec 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
beruo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2014, 06:15 PM   #4
traubgator
macrumors newbie

Quote:
anyone ever figure this out on the gmail ios app?
how to swipe to delete vs archive??
traubgator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:30 PM   #5
andyACEcandy
macrumors 6502a

This has been very frustrating. Such a small detail but swiping to delete is so much easier than getting my finger all the way to the top to press the trash can to delete. With the bigger phone, this is definitely one of those annoying problems to have (getting your finger to the top).
andyACEcandy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:48 PM   #6
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyACEcandy View Post
This has been very frustrating. Such a small detail but swiping to delete is so much easier than getting my finger all the way to the top to press the trash can to delete. With the bigger phone, this is definitely one of those annoying problems to have (getting your finger to the top).
You can double-tap (not press but just tap) the home button to bring the top part of the screen closer down. Still extra work of course, but perhaps something helpful nonetheless.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps