Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
UPDATE 2: So I fixed the screen, changed the profile and it looks so much better. As of now my only complaint is the dirt-like spot embedded in the aluminum casing, but it's very small and I really don't want to go through all the hassle of exchanging or playing the Apple lottery again.

UPDATE: So the third replacement finally arrived. There is a small cosmetic blemish on the aluminum framing. It looks like a piece of dirt or like a splinter that's actually trapped in the casing. I tried rubbing it away but it's still there. Not the end of the world but still immensely annoying.

Secondly, as soon as I booted up the device I knew I had a Samsung screen. Everything is washed in a blue hue and sure enough terminal confirmed that I do indeed have a Samsung screen. I also thought the machine took longer to wake after having the screen closed so I checked the hard drive and sure enough it's a Toshiba.

------------------------

I'm really kind of bummed out at this point. I'm on my third replacement, there's yet another cosmetic flaw, and now I have inferior hardware parts. I don't what to do. I'm sick of going through this game. I don't think Apple will let me exchange again. I'll have to do a full return and order again.

So I ordered a MBA about 2 weeks ago, received it, and noticed it had a small chip in the aluminum casing. In retrospect I should have just kept it but, being the perfectionist I am, I decided to swap it out for a replacement.

I finally received the second unit and was delighted to find no cosmetic defects. But as soon as I booted the device up it was very clear that the screen had not been placed in correctly. The screen sloped slightly to the right. The little black bar surrounding the actual screen image was thicker on the right than on the left. Honestly, this was more irritating that a mere scratch.

I called Apple, ran some diagnostics, still wasn't having any luck and so they agreed to send me another replacement. I know there's no such thing as a perfect MBA but at this point I'm feeling very disappointed about the whole process. I just want my laptop.

Apple decided to give me a free shell-type case, which I appreciate as I was planning on getting one eventually anyway, but I still have to wait until they inspect the original MBA and send me shipping labels for the second MBA.

Right now Apple shows a Dec 14 delivery for the third replacement and I'm really hoping that this is indeed when I'll receive the third replacement and that this is the last time I'll have to go through this process.

Last edited:

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Wow, sorry to hear that. If this is your first Mac, just know this is not normal, luck is just not with you. I hope your new replacement is without any issues.

dixido

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
Wow, that's a lot of bad luck there. I have owned several Macs during the year and non have needed replacement.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks guys. This is my second MBA, my first one was the 2008 version so it was definitely time for an upgrade. I also own an iPhone 5 and an iPad Mini. :)

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
I know there's no such thing as a perfect MBA but at this point I'm feeling very disappointed about the whole process. I just want my laptop.

I know with two strikes it seems like there is no perfect MBA but that's what they aim for.
Starting with known good materials is the first step.
The cases are not received pre-scratched or displays pre-tilted.
Somewhere in assembly the human factor is added and therein lies the problem.

Frustration cannot begin to describe it.

I hope the next one you open is a pleasing experience.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
i too went through this with my frist apple product.

Ordered a custom MBA, came with a small scratch and after three days use a number of keys were feeling funky and wouldnt press down all the way.

apple got me a replacement which looks to be alright but was a HUGE hassle being without it, and reloading software.

greenchiliman

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Chicago
Hey Don, I mean Dick ;)

I take it your not near a store to help facilitate the return process? Just so you know, this is not a normal experience. And don't feel bad - you're not being picky, it is a huge investment so you should be happy. There are some people on the iphone forum and they've been through 10 or 15 phones trying to find the perfect one.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
What diagnostics could they run that determined the screen wasn't even?

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Hey Don, I mean Dick ;)

I take it your not near a store to help facilitate the return process? Just so you know, this is not a normal experience. And don't feel bad - you're not being picky, it is a huge investment so you should be happy. There are some people on the iphone forum and they've been through 10 or 15 phones trying to find the perfect one.

There's a store about 30 minutes from me but because this is a custom order (only upgraded to 8 gig of RAM) I can't swap it out at a store for another one. I could take it to them to ship back but I'd rather go straight to the USPS store.

I was in my Apple store this past weekend and looked at the MBAs on display there. Low and behold the little black bar surrounding the screen image was perfectly symmetrical so that kind of confirmed I wasn't going crazy and that my screen was indeed off-centered.

As for the iPhone, I can't even imagine going through the exchange process that many times. I'm actually on my third iPhone because of the yellow tinted screen issue. I still have a yellow screen because when I was last at the Appe store for this issue every phone the guy brought out had this problem. Eventually he said to just try back later when they got a different shipment in. Well I've kind of learned to just live with it at this point.

Anyway Apple now shows my third, and hopefully final, MBA arriving either tomorrow or Tuesday! :)

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
What diagnostics could they run that determined the screen wasn't even?

None really. The rep wanted me to play with the resolution and calibration settings but in the end nothing solved the problem. They said if I wanted I could have brought the laptop to the Apple Store and they could have run some more involved diagnostics. But rather than make a special trip there only to find no easy fix, I just decided to cut to the chase and ship it back to Apple for a replacement. Plus I really did not get the impression that this was a software-related issue.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
My first MBA wouldn't start! Luckily, Apple was quick about it and sent me a new one within 3 or 4 days. That was quite nice..

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
So I ordered a MBA about 2 weeks ago, received it, and noticed it had a small chip in the aluminum casing. In retrospect I should have just kept it but, being the perfectionist I am, I decided to swap it out for a replacement.

I finally received the second unit and was delighted to find no cosmetic defects. But as soon as I booted the device up it was very clear that the screen had not been placed in correctly. The screen sloped slightly to the right. The little black bar surrounding the actual screen image was thicker on the right than on the left. Honestly, this was more irritating that a mere scratch.

I called Apple, ran some diagnostics, still wasn't having any luck and so they agreed to send me another replacement. I know there's no such thing as a perfect MBA but at this point I'm feeling very disappointed about the whole process. I just want my laptop.

Apple decided to give me a free shell-type case, which I appreciate as I was planning on getting one eventually anyway, but I still have to wait until they inspect the original MBA and send me shipping labels for the second MBA.

Right now Apple shows a Dec 14 delivery for the third replacement and I'm really hoping that this is indeed when I'll receive the third replacement and that this is the last time I'll have to go through this process.

Just curious, did you order new or refurb?

Hard to imagine a chipped one got through QC at the factory.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
Just curious, did you order new or refurb?

Hard to imagine a chipped one got through QC at the factory.

mine was "new" a nice scratch you could catch with a finger nail right next to the return key.

although i will say this, the MBA box i received did Not have shrink wrap on it. Computer was sealed in the plastic sleeve tho

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
mine was "new" a nice scratch you could catch with a finger nail right next to the return key.

although i will say this, the MBA box i received did Not have shrink wrap on it. Computer was sealed in the plastic sleeve tho

No Shrink Wrap is suspect! Unless it got torn off in the stock room due to shuffling things around.

This really sounds fishy. No Shrink Wrap, scratches on the unit and yet you bought it new.

I can only think of a disgruntled employee in the warehouse/shipping dept doing a shoddy job.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
No Shrink Wrap is suspect! Unless it got torn off in the stock room due to shuffling things around.

This really sounds fishy. No Shrink Wrap, scratches on the unit and yet you bought it new.

I can only think of a disgruntled employee in the warehouse/shipping dept doing a shoddy job.

Thats what i was thinking, although when i looked at the wrap the computer itself comes in... and im certain its tamperproof. My guess is it may have been a refurb and made its way into the new pile?

either way, Things happen. Apple took care of it and the computer is great.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC

Your experience does suck, but just imagine if you bought an Acer or HP and tried to replace your computer? Apple has terrific CS so take advantage of it while you can.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Your experience does suck, but just imagine if you bought an Acer or HP and tried to replace your computer? Apple has terrific CS so take advantage of it while you can.

Yeah that's sort of my thought process as well. As long as Apple stands behind their product and makes good on everything then I'm cool. The third one is coming today and I'm very excited. For some reason I have a feeling that this one's going to be the one. :)

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Quit the whining, ask for a refund and go buy a Dell.

So when you go to pick up your new car from dealership you should just ignore the big dent and scratch on the car from the lot boy hitting another car? Ok. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.