Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:47 AM   #1
redson
macrumors newbie

Lost 50-odd songs with itunes upgrade

I got the (!) alongside 51 songs when I upgraded to iTunes 11. I've had this before and managed to locate the songs, but this time they've all vanished. Cant find them using search on my HD. They are mostly tracks not downloaded from iTunes. And i still have them on my iPhone.

Any ideas?

27" imac 2.8Ghz i7 OS 10.8.2.
redson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:09 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redson View Post
I got the (!) alongside 51 songs when I upgraded to iTunes 11. I've had this before and managed to locate the songs, but this time they've all vanished. Cant find them using search on my HD. They are mostly tracks not downloaded from iTunes. And i still have them on my iPhone.

Any ideas?

27" imac 2.8Ghz i7 OS 10.8.2.
That is not a itunes problem, itunes won't delete songs unless you told it to do so.
Something else might have happened, corrupt filesystem could be one of the reason or you yourself might have done something.

What you can do is this,first check how many songs you have in iTunes after this close iTunes and go to /Users/your name/Music, rename the itunes folder to iTunes old then open iTunes and first thing to do is go into iTunes Preferences and in the advanced tab uncheck the two top boxes(copy to itunes and keep organized.
Now, drop your music on itunes and look if they are there.
Also compare how many songs you have now.

If all is done go back to /Users/your name/Music and delete the iTunes folder and rename the iTunes Old back to iTunes.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:09 AM   #3
redson
macrumors newbie

It does seem that all the songs are those NOT purchased through iTunes. I still have them on my iPhone, any idea if I can transfer them back to iTunes?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:47 AM   #4
maflynn

Dumb question but do you have a back up? I mean if its happened before you may want to ensure that you keep backups.

I've never had this happen so I'm not sure its iTunes but then I don't know what it could be.

Good luck
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:58 AM   #5
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redson View Post
It does seem that all the songs are those NOT purchased through iTunes. I still have them on my iPhone, any idea if I can transfer them back to iTunes?
If jailbroken yes, if not????

Be careful not to connect to iTunes and sync, you'll loose them for sure if not also on the computer.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:49 AM   #6
redson
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Dumb question but do you have a back up? I mean if its happened before you may want to ensure that you keep backups.

I've never had this happen so I'm not sure its iTunes but then I don't know what it could be.

Good luck
Not dumb at all. In the end i found the original downloads in Time Machine and restored them. A bit of a faff but I got there in the end.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
If jailbroken yes, if not????

Be careful not to connect to iTunes and sync, you'll loose them for sure if not also on the computer.
No, guessed not. Found the tracks on Time Machine in the end. Thanks.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store