Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated OS X Server, the application that runs on top of OS X Mountain Lion to expand the system's server feature set.

The most notable change in this update appears to be a new caching server for Mac App Store updates. Presumably, the server now downloads updates for things like iPhoto and OS X itself to prevent an organization from needing to download large updates multiple times for one workgroup.

NewImage6.png
What's New in Version 2.2

o Caching Server to speed up download of software distributed by Apple through the Mac App Store.
o Time Machine service monitoring of which computers have backed up, when they last backed up and size of backup.
o Wiki Server support for MacBook Pro with Retina display.
o Fix for deleting apps uploaded to Profile Manager.
o Ability to use Active Directory groups within Profile Manager.
o Centralized Certificate management interface.
OS X Server is available for $19.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates OS X Server, Adds Caching to Speed Distribution of Mac App Store Updates

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
I look forward to this service getting dissected and documented. Here is hoping that it integrates into networks which are primarily windows server driven and/or with multiple subnets.

Now all we need is a proper enterprise-compatible bonjour as has been rumored about lately.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I look forward to this service getting dissected and documented. Here is hoping that it integrates into networks which are primarily windows server driven and/or with multiple subnets.

Now all we need is a proper enterprise-compatible bonjour as has been rumored about lately.

The tech department in the school district I work for is considering Aerohive. I haven't used it before, but according to the website, looks like they provide enterprise-level Bonjour services.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Why not cache all large downloads somehow? Whether from a web browser or a store like steam?

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I don't understand why this is such a big deal. OS X Server has had a Software Update service forever. Now it caches stuff through the app store, too? Neat, I guess.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Why not cache all large downloads somehow? Whether from a web browser or a store like steam?

It's the "somehow" part that is difficult. Without integration from 3rd parties how do you handle privacy and access control, copyright concerns, and invalidating out of date files, as a few examples? In the case of Steam, and non HTTP based downloads, how do you even set up a standardized method to request the downloads?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It's the "somehow" part that is difficult. Without integration from 3rd parties how do you handle privacy and access control, copyright concerns, and invalidating out of date files, as a few examples? In the case of Steam, and non HTTP based downloads, how do you even set up a standardized method to request the downloads?

Sandbox apps to only allow a select few types of downloads?

Not that anyone not on the App Store even bothers with sandboxing, it seems.

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
THIS IS WHY BUSINESS IGNORES APPLE.

A server is not an "app". Try bolting something on to your Caravan to make it into a Ferrari.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
How about restoring things like NFS shares with a simple click instead of having to use the freaking Shell to set it up?

WTF is the point of the Mac as "It just works" if they keep making it more difficult to use instead of easier? (i.e. NFS used to be just a button click). And my WebDav sharing setting hasn't worked right yet when I tried it with XBMC (I had to install Samba3 to get SMB to work properly with it since XBMC doesn't work right with AFP, tending to crash after about a half hour of watching something and NFS is a PITA to set up via script).

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
How about restoring things like NFS shares with a simple click instead of having to use the freaking Shell to set it up?

WTF is the point of the Mac as "It just works" if they keep making it more difficult to use instead of easier? (i.e. NFS used to be just a button click). And my WebDav sharing setting hasn't worked right yet when I tried it with XBMC (I had to install Samba3 to get SMB to work properly with it since XBMC doesn't work right with AFP, tending to crash after about a half hour of watching something and NFS is a PITA to set up via script).

Same thing with FTP and other services. I'm having to go to the command line now instead of just ticking a box. Very annoying.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!

A server is not an "app". Try bolting something on to your Caravan to make it into a Ferrari.

The Server app is full of server applications. The difference between a linux desktop and a linux server is the set of applications you have installed. The Server App includes DNS Server, Open Directory, Mail Server, Software Update Server, etc.

There is nothing wrong with having the Server App as a way to add the server functionality to the OS.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

It's more the other way around ... Apple ignores business. For big business a server is rack mounted in a DC; not in cluster a Minis sitting in a shelf.

But I'm fine with it ... A company need to choose which market they want to serve. The the cash pile Apple sits on prove they made the right choice for them.

Get a server somewhere else.

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Ignoring the enterprise means that their market share remains a rounding error.

Yes it can blip during a consumer fad, but like iOS it will wax and wane depending on the fickle herd mentality of the average dummy in the street.

To really take hold they need to get the enterprise, and therefore get enterprise apps. So far their strategy has been to tell the enterprise to pound sand.

An interesting tactic.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
I don't understand why this is such a big deal. OS X Server has had a Software Update service forever. Now it caches stuff through the app store, too? Neat, I guess.
SUS on ML caches App store apps, but doesn't cover non-OSX apps (even FCP and iLife). It looks like this will cover all apps from MAS. Hmmmm.

For my home setup, though, the advantage will be that large packages will download 'in the background' so that the wait time on the clients will be vastly reduced.

But I's still have preferred a better RADIUS implementation in the GUI.

----------

To really take hold they need to get the enterprise, and therefore get enterprise apps. So far their strategy has been to tell the enterprise to pound sand.
More than just software, they need enterprise hardware to run it. While mini might be appropriate for SOHO (although barely IME), their solutions for the enterprise are ... pitiful.

It's quite sad, but Apple seem to be retrenching to itoys and iOS.

Last edited:

Capt Crunch

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2001
Washington, D.C.

Yes it can blip during a consumer fad, but like iOS it will wax and wane depending on the fickle herd mentality of the average dummy in the street.

An interesting tactic.

I agree. Rolex's watch marketshare is incredibly tiny because they insist on not making a digital watch! What a bunch of morons.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Is there a website that discusses the top 10 or so uses for Server and how to configure it for those uses? Sometimes it is handy to see how other folks improve their work flow and service level rather than researching it manually and missing come cool aspects somebody else takes for granted.

Rocketman

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
The tech department in the school district I work for is considering Aerohive. I haven't used it before, but according to the website, looks like they provide enterprise-level Bonjour services.

I'm using their bonjour gateway on some projects already which while no substitute for a proper enterprise compatible bonjour implementation, does help out in the mean time.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009

Even when Apple had a modest share of the general desktop enterprise market their servers were just basic workgroup type stuff. Larger shops would have used Unix.

When Mac OS X was new and shiny there were rumours of Apple buying some established unix vendors and making Mac OS X a major enterprise UNIX. It never happened but the remnants of that concept appeared as the Xserve - a cool product with no enterprise sales and support effort behind it at all.

You can't just woo the enterprise overnight or half-heartedly.

Last edited:

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
You can't just woo the enterprise overnight or half-heartedly.

I agree. Enterprise & Apple seem to have views that polar opposites. Example: Apple likes keeping everything a secret. Enterprise, on the other hand, likes roadmaps and knowing what a software/hardware vendor is going to do a few months/years down the road so they can plan how to roll things out.

Johnny Vegas

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
What Apple doesn't understand is how much IT professionals influence the purchase of computers. I get asked daily by family and co-workers for advice and I used to tell people that paying the little extra for Macs was justified, and their overall experience would be better. (Not to mention fewer calls to me for help...) But my current frustrations over the lock-down style of OSX and iOS have been pushing me away. I have 800+ computers running 10.4 - 10.8, and it is nightmare to manage these using Apple's server software, unless I use a dedicated server for each OS. Well that's just one example, that and the ticking time bomb of your computer after the 3 year warranty if something breaks be prepared to shell out at a minimum the price of a new PC tower.

I dont know... now with the Windows 8 disaster, maybe I'll suggest Linux, or Chrome??

rutledjw

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011

But why not take aim and small and medium sized businesses? Many of these folks NEED an IT presence, but the skills aren't there in sufficient amounts to support your basic MS or *nix back-office and/or customer-facing functions. I just finished up helping a small company upgrade their stuff and got a local (VERY reputable) IT company in to set up and support.

What I saw was APPALLING. These guys lacked basic process and didn't really have good IT skills overall. But, apparently other companiesare worse - so it's a lack of options.

It seems like a no-brainer for Apple to take on basic back-office functions: LDAP (authentication), file share, DNS, and maybe mail/calendaring (although MS 365 really isn't bad). With the ease of use, native support for backups, etc, and integration this seems like a great way to sell more Apple "stuff".

That's just my opinion. I'm sure there's quite a bit of product development and support to have on hand, but it seems like a natural extension of what they have now.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I've been following this thread since its posting, and I wanted to thank everyone for their help and information on the changes to OS X Server since 10.7. The resources and such have been a great help.

On another note, it has been since Dec 7th and this is the only "Mac" posting since. Rather a shame given how much news and rumors seem to be committed to iOS devices. Times change I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.