Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Why is Apple even working with Google on this? They have enough cash just in Steve's old sofa to buy Kodak outright and still have enough to buy an overpriced Facebook! Not that they would want Facebook.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple doesn't really _want_ these patents, all they want is not getting sued by Google or anyone else. And Google doesn't really _want_ these patents, all they want is not getting sued by Apple or anyone else. Since there is an obvious way how they can both achieve what they want at a relatively low price, instead of getting in a bidding war in which one achieves what they want at a much too high cost, and the other loses out, it would be outright stupidity not to team up.

I agree 100%. Both sides want less of this pointless litigation stuff through the courts. I am glad both sides can put aside their differences to achieve this common goal. Maybe this idea can spread to other aspects too.

1957GoldTop

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
No sad at all. Although the digital research and innovation were integral to the development of those technologies, most everything else they was sub-standard or plain bad: color paper that was just garbage, consumer film that was grainy, professional film with poor contrast and color fidelity, consumer electronics that were out of date before they hit the market, etc

The only exceptions were Eastman motion picture films which were outstanding.

The demise of Kodak is a warning for Apple: innovate quality or die!

You're joking right? Kodak's professional film was and still is the standard. I'm a professional photographer (a real one, not an ex-dentist that now takes pictures of pregnant moms and pets) and when I shoot film only use Kodak. Tri-x is THE legendary b&w film. Kodachrome is a beyond iconic color film and Portra is a spectacular color negative film.

So, while Kodak screwed a lot of things up, professional film was never one of them.

globalhemp

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
United States
Mid 1990's

Yes, Apple's QuickTake camera was basically a Kodak camera with drivers to allow it to work on your Performa, Quadra, etc.

Apple also partnered with Cannon for Apple branded Color StyleWriter, an inkjet printer. So, Apple may have some collaborative patents with that "camera" company as well.

In 1994 of so, Apple has a black all-in-one Mac that included a TV tuner. Not yet an iMac, nor HDTV. Here we are nearly 20 years later, and ...

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
what about Microsoft, IBM, Samsung and other tech giants who MIGHT be beneficial from Kodaks patents? Or they don't need that?

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Excellent.

Thermonuclear friendship.

The "Yes we see Samsung" era has begun. The next 2 years will determine the future. :apple:

----------

what about Microsoft, IBM, Samsung and other tech giants who MIGHT be beneficial from Kodaks patents? Or they don't need that?

Microsoft? Can probably get cheap license fees if WIN8 Phone is a bomb.

IBM? Um, ok.

Samsung? Easy. $20 a handset. Or no cameras. :apple:

----------

Why is Apple even working with Google on this? They have enough cash just in Steve's old sofa to buy Kodak outright and still have enough to buy an overpriced Facebook! Not that they would want Facebook.

To defeat a common enemy. Samsung. ;)

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Interesting. Not sure how this would pass muster with the Justice Dept., though, as it borders on the highly illegal practice of bid-rigging.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
No sad at all. Although the digital research and innovation were integral to the development of those technologies, most everything else they was sub-standard or plain bad: color paper that was just garbage, consumer film that was grainy, professional film with poor contrast and color fidelity, consumer electronics that were out of date before they hit the market, etc

The only exceptions were Eastman motion picture films which were outstanding.

The demise of Kodak is a warning for Apple: innovate quality or die!

This would imply that Apple is on a path similar to Kodak's and must change course to stay alive. If you mean this as a general statement, then it applies to every maker of tech and not just Apple. Either way it is simplistic and reckless.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
I'm so tired of patents.

I'm gonna patent patenting so that everyone who want's a patent have to pay me. Then I'm gonna use the money building a car that runs on tears.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Kodak made mistakes in recent years, obviously, or this wouldn't have happened. People are still allowed to feel sad about the fall of a great company with such a long and proud history. It's a history a lot older than you, and your subjective view of a handful of recent products.

Kodak didn't make their mistake in recent years. It just became more obvious then.

I remember someone writing years ago about being in a Kodak AGM where Kodak management dismissed digital and the new Japanese camera and film houses. They had the Kodak is the best and people won't buy anything else. (sounds like a Steve Ballmer type) The guy realised then Kodak was doomed. He sold his shares and bought a competing company that was to be the future of camera and film.

Kodak lost years ago when they didn't see the trends or didn't notice what others were doing, or didn't appreciate what the future would be.

History is littered with corporates who had their heads in the sand.

Last edited:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Kodak didn't make their mistake in recent years. It just became more obvious then.

I remember someone writing years ago about being in a Kodak AGM where Kodak management dismissed digital and the new Japanese camera and film houses. They had the Kodak is the best and people won't buy anything else. (sounds like a Steve Ballmer type) The guy realised then Kodak was doomed. He sold his shares and bought a competing company that was to be the future of camera and film.

Kodak lost years ago when they didn't see the trends or didn't notice what others were doing, or didn't appreciate what the future would be.

For a company that's been around since 1889, this was recent years.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Kodachrome is a beyond iconic color film and Portra is a spectacular color negative film.

They still make Kodachrome? I thought that died long ago in favor of Ektachrome. I remember Kodak stopped producing a number of films in the past couple years.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
No sad at all. Although the digital research and innovation were integral to the development of those technologies, most everything else they was sub-standard or plain bad: color paper that was just garbage, consumer film that was grainy, professional film with poor contrast and color fidelity.

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Stop spewing ****.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC

History is littered with corporates who had their heads in the sand.

And yet, they get golden parachutes, while the regular workers get shafted! We have to stop rewarding people who fail!

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Doomed

Kodak was a film company. An expert in film. They couldn't save themselves because film died.

They could have started selling Kodak toothpaste or digital cameras but that would not have 'saved' the company. It would have just been a different company with a very similar sounding name.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I have to agree, it is sad. In so many ways, Kodak is photography.

Hopefully Google or Apple will bring a digital sensor to my film cameras. I would definitely buy an iRoll. Looks innovative bringing old (and pretty good) cameras back to life. I imagine it transferring my pictures immediately to my Android/iOS device, working as an external Live View.

This would push Apple seriously into the camera market. Would compete with professional gear with all the processing power and portability a smartphone can give.

Just dreaming...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.