Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Do they make any back covers with the Smart Cover lip to hold it in place yet? Like the I-blasons for the larger ipad? My one gripe about the Smart Cover is it doesn't strap in securely and wouldn't mind a back that helps it stay there

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Received my dark gray CoverBuddy today and the fit is perfect. All the cut outs align nicely. My only complaint is the strong plastic/chemical smell. But that's nothing a few hours in the fresh air won't fix

AlanKA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
My only complaint is the strong plastic/chemical smell. But that's nothing a few hours in the fresh air won't fix

Very interesting. I never noticed any smell, but you just made me go smell mine. :)

It's not that strong after having it a week.....but if you get close, it does smell like rubber fishing lures!

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I wanted to order one right now but I only see the 3rd generation cases. Am I missing something?

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Just a heads up: the red coverbuddy doesn't even remotely match the red Smart Cover; they are two very different shades of red.

I really like the red of the Switcheasy coverbuddy, so I'm going to take the red smart cover to the local Apple store and exchange it for a dark grey one.

Edited to add a picture:
a8uzebu9.jpg

The Smart Cover is in its box, but the color difference should still be clear.

Last edited:

hogsdill

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
I've also got the Incipio NGP, which I really like as well. I use that one when I'm home and the Switcheasy/Smart Cover combo when I'm out and about and need to put my mini in a bag.

The Coverbuddy is a cinch to put on and take off -- pop it in button-side first to put on, un-snap the non-button side first to take off. It's a snug fit but not difficult to remove. I haven't seen any scratches on the bezel, though I do have the white/silver model and not the black/slate.

Here are some pics I took this morning that shows the Coverbuddy and Smart Cover truer to color:

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg
Thanks for the pictures. I think this is the combo that I'm going with.
Black Mini
Dark Gray Back
Blue Apple Cover

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Just a heads up: the red coverbuddy doesn't even remotely match the red Smart Cover; they are two very different shades of red.

I really like the red of the Switcheasy coverbuddy, so I'm going to take the red smart cover to the local Apple store and exchange it for a dark grey one.

Edited to add a picture:

The Smart Cover is in its box, but the color difference should still be clear.

That's lame. Just ordered a pink one for the wife, hope it matches her pink smart cover.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
That's lame. Just ordered a pink one for the wife, hope it matches her pink smart cover.

Isn't there a red leather smart cover for the big iPad? It may have been a better match for that one.

Fingers crossed that the pink looks good!

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Its interesting that all the pictures people are posting are the white version. IMO, iPads have always been pretty rugged without a case but the reason I'm looking into one now is because of how that black painted edge just flakes away with normal usage.

The coverbuddy looks great but I'm not sure if the case actually covers that painted lip or not so if any owners of the black iPad Mini have experience then I'd love to hear some opinions.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Has anyone been able to find a MATTE clear version? Like a frost sort of color? Been searching all over and I cannot find anything out there which is really odd. I've had the frost Caudabe Shell for my big iPad, which looks great. If you don't look carefully, you won't even notice it's on. But they don't seem to have anything for the mini. Nor does anyone else. Or am I just missing something?

Boston Rhett

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2012
DC
Has anyone tried the included screen protector? I am looking for something antiglare.

The included screen protector is "crystal clear." The reason I put it in quotes is because it has the orange peel effect like crazy. I had the same experience when I used Switcheasy's iPhone 4/4S screen protectors too. Thought I'd get lucky with the Mini, but nope -- took it off seconds after I applied it.

For anti-glare Mini screen protectors, check out Spigen SGP's Ultra-Fine series. They're expensive, but quality's always top-notch.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011

So how did the pink one work out for you?

I ended up returning my red Smart Cover for a dark grey one since it was simpler to just walk into the local Apple store vs shipping the cover buddy back to Switcheasy.

Edited to Add Photos:
9ymuha2y.jpg

a9use8ez.jpg

Last edited:

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
The pink doesn't exatly match the smart cover but it's not as bad as the red.

I'd post pics but the mini, smart cover and covebuddy are Christmas gifts for my daughter and they are already wrapped.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Just got my transulecent black coverbuddy from Amazon and am disappointed. All the benefits of the coverbuddy are there (perfect fit, protects painted edge but doesnt block Smart Cover, accessible ports) so it's not a bad product at all. But I'm really hating that I got the non matte version.

- Fingerprint Magnet
- VERY slippery
- Scratch resistant but definitely scratchable through average use
- Buttons are a bit stiff
- Weird color choice (Tranparent black but no solid matte black?!?)

Ill likely get the matte dark grey to replace it but Im open to suggestions for alternative brands since Id prefer solid black.

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Just got my transulecent black coverbuddy from Amazon and am disappointed. All the benefits of the coverbuddy are there (perfect fit, protects painted edge but doesnt block Smart Cover, accessible ports) so it's not a bad product at all. But I'm really hating that I got the non matte version.

- Fingerprint Magnet
- VERY slippery
- Scratch resistant but definitely scratchable through average use
- Buttons are a bit stiff
- Weird color choice (Tranparent black but no solid matte black?!?)

Ill likely get the matte dark grey to replace it but Im open to suggestions for alternative brands since Id prefer solid black.

I have the same one and I agree with all of your points. Man, this thing is a fingerprint magnet and my buttons are very stiff. I think I'll be looking for another case like similar to this one. Hopefully Belkin will release one.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
Is there a matte version, as the thread title suggests? The link above says "gloss coating" above the color options. Just want to make sure I order a matte one.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Is there a matte version, as the thread title suggests? The link above says "gloss coating" above the color options. Just want to make sure I order a matte one.

The black and clear ones are the only glossy versions. All of the others are matte.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.