Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 3, 2007, 05:59 PM   #1
kered
macrumors newbie

How do I remove a Virtual Machine ?

Hi all !!

New here to the Mac Forum.

Just joined up today, but didn’t think I’d be in trouble already, needing to open a “Help Thread” but I’m in a bit of a bind

I have VmWare Fusion installed on my iMac & have loaded up XP Pro.

However I’ve found that I can’t register / activate the Windows installation I have, due to an incorrect activation key.

So I’d like to remove the virtual machine from my iMac & start out with a clean install with another Windows disk, that I know I have the correct key for.

I see that I can uninstall VmWare Fusion, but doing that will still leave the virtual machine intact, taking up HD space.

Is there a solution or am I now stuck with 20 Gigs of space wasted on my HD & will have to install another virtual machine, thereby using even more HD space

Any & all help greatly appreciated !

“Kered”

Edited to add:-

Just did a search & found this recomendation.....

"Delete the VM from the list in the VMware Virtual Machine Library and then remove the file from your ~/Documents/Virtual Machines directory."

Does that do the trick ???

Will the HD space taken up by the VM now be freed up for future use ??

Cheers !

Last edited by kered; Dec 3, 2007 at 06:10 PM.
kered is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Slumbercub
macrumors regular

If I remember, VM Fusion gives you the option to remove it. Failing that, there should be a folder that contains the Windows OS and other files, it is in Documents I think. Just delete that.
Slumbercub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 06:13 PM   #3
bigandy
macrumors G3

your user folder /Documents/Virtual Machines

it's in there.

Trash > empty trash.

Sorted.

Remember, VMs don't take up the entire 20Gb from the start - they only use the space on the HDD they need, up to a max of 20Gb (or other limit you set), so with a bare XP install, you're looking at a loss of only 1.3Gb or so.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:30 PM   #4
kered
macrumors newbie

Cheers for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumbercub View Post
If I remember, VM Fusion gives you the option to remove it..............
VM Fusion only seems to allow you remove the listing for the Virtual Machine, but not allow you totally trash the installation of the op sys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandy
your user folder /Documents/Virtual Machines

it's in there.

Trash > empty trash.

Sorted.
I've followed that procedure & trashed the file under "Virtual Machines"

So that should have rid me of the installaion.

By simpy deleating the folder, will that give me back the partioned HD pscae taken up by the instalation, or is that gone forever ??
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:57 PM   #5
darwinist
macrumors newbie

Reply long overdue

No one has responded to this query yet?

If you use VMware Fusion with virtual machines, and you delete the virtual machines, you get your space back. If you have designated a part of your harddisk to Windows using BootCamp, and you accessed it using VMware Fusion, then deleting the virtual machines won't get you your partitioned space back, no.

Rgds David
darwinist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Moof1904
macrumors 65816

The new fusion allows you to delete the VM files from within the VM listing window.
Moof1904 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:27 PM   #7
StephenS71
macrumors newbie

Issues with Parallels - Removing Virtual Machine

I installed parallels and then uninstalled it. The virtual screen is still there. I deleted the folder parallels from documents, and my screen is still split. It's really bothering me. Can anyone help? I dont have the software anymore but my screen is split.

Can anyone help???

Thanks!
StephenS71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:46 PM   #8
DoctorCrap
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to DoctorCrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moof1904 View Post
The new fusion allows you to delete the VM files from within the VM listing window.
Locate the Virtual Machine data file. I have mine about 20GB. It should be under Virtual Machines or VM Ware Fusion
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:52 PM   #9
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenS71 View Post
I installed parallels and then uninstalled it. The virtual screen is still there. I deleted the folder parallels from documents, and my screen is still split. It's really bothering me. Can anyone help? I dont have the software anymore but my screen is split.

Can anyone help???

Thanks!
What do you mean with the "screen is split"?

Anyway, as far as I know, a virtual machine is stored inside Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Documents / Virtual Machines.
If not, use one of the following free applications to find out, where you storage capacity is being used:Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:11 PM   #10
chuck333
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenS71 View Post

Can anyone help???

Thanks!
I don't know about the Split Screen problem at all??? lol, but you could try deleting the virtual machines. I noticed after I updated Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, it Uninstalled Parallels out of my Installed Apps.. I figured out, all you have to do is (Spotlight)> ".pvm" Click, Show All in Finder, Grab .pvm('s) and Move to Trash. They are the Virtual Machines. Hope that helps. You may have to Reinstall your OS to fix any problems after that.
chuck333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store