Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
any body own macbook pro 13inch. iPad and macbook air.. and why? looking to purchase another mac but not sure which one.. Dont need another mac computer but would like to upgrade machines.. My mac mini is 2006 version and macbook pro is 2009.. any advice?

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
looking to purchase another mac but not sure which one.. Dont need another mac computer but would like to upgrade machines

So...what the hell exactly are you asking?

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
So...what the hell exactly are you asking?

My macbook pro is freezing a lot .. I use my macbook pro for logic studio, mixing, photo editing, and media content from itunes. Im in the market for a new or refurbished mac. Im liking the air, mac mini, refurbished mac pro, or mac book pro. Im just not sure which to get it. I was asking for advice...

----------

Ask your question coherently so we know what you're talking about?

My macbook pro is freezing a lot .. I use my macbook pro for logic studio, mixing, photo editing, and media content from itunes. Im in the market for a new or refurbished mac. Im liking the air, mac mini, refurbished mac pro, or mac book pro. Im just not sure which to get it. I was asking for advice...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Briefly, the MBA is a splendid machine, lovely screen, sharp and swift start-up (thanks to its SSD drive) and ultra portable. I have a 13" MBA.

Now, the plusses of the MBA are portability, nice screen and swift responses. it is a perfect machine for someone like me who 1) travels a lot and for whom portability matters & 2) is not a gamer.

There are minuses to the MBA: the capacity is less than that of the MBP (unless you are willing to pay stratospheric sums of money); the power is less, too. If you do a lot of gaming, or video-editing, or want to store many, many movies, then, I suggest that you try the MBP.

I have had both and both were excellent machines but served somewhat different functions. Someday, in the future, I will probably treat myself to a 15" rMBP with an obscenely large SSD drive; however, that day is still a long way off. For now, and also, for always, I will - in addition - always have some version of the MBA because I love the form factor and value the portability as I travel a lot.

You have to ask yourself what you really want, and (even more importantly) what you really need (what you cannot do without) from a computer. That, in turn, will tell you what machine to buy.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Do you know why your MBP is freezing a lot? I hear MBP's are very serviceable. You might consider fixing it, unless you want to be convinced that the MBA is a machine you need.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010

----------

From your needs and the fact that you use a Macbook Pro instead of say a Mini or an iMac, I am going to assume that you need something that's portable.

Given the kind of software you are using which are all resource hogs I would actually suggest a refurb 15" Core i7 Quad Core MaBook Pro. You can always buy a SSD and upgrade it later not to mention you can even load it with 16 GB RAM.

I just got an MBA 13" fully loaded, but I wouldn't put it through the use you are trying to do. MBA is for people on the run and yet have a computer that has great power to do almost everything. *Almost* being the keyword.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
From your needs and the fact that you use a Macbook Pro instead of say a Mini or an iMac, I am going to assume that you need something that's portable.

Given the kind of software you are using which are all resource hogs I would actually suggest a refurb 15" Core i7 Quad Core MaBook Pro. You can always buy a SSD and upgrade it later not to mention you can even load it with 16 GB RAM.

I just got an MBA 13" fully loaded, but I wouldn't put it through the use you are trying to do. MBA is for people on the run and yet have a computer that has great power to do almost everything. *Almost* being the keyword.

yes you make a great point im on the go but i need extreme power.. I really would like another macbook pro or a mac pro.. I can upgrade both myself... just not sure which...

----------

I have the mid 2009 13 inch mac book pro.. Im thinking it's time for a upgrade...

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
yes you make a great point im on the go but i need extreme power.. I really would like another macbook pro or a mac pro.. I can upgrade both myself... just not sure which...

----------

I have the mid 2009 13 inch mac book pro.. Im thinking it's time for a upgrade...

And there is your answer. A Quad Core i7 Macbook!

MacPro is still outdated but an update is coming next year, if you can wait. Meanwhile a MBP decked out to the fullest should be a very powerful machine.

I would suggest getting the high res monitor(Anti glare if you like it). Bigger screen real estate helps with all those music software and tracks and controls.

I didn't suggest the retina because personally the fact that they soldered the RAM and the SSD to the board is a bummer. But if you like the screen so much then go for it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.