Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Hey guys just wondering if covering up the speaker holes at the bottom of the phone while trying to play sounds/music from it affects it life or makes it more likely to blow? Because of air pressure or something like that? Might be a stupid question but im just making sure.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I doubt it's sealed very well and would make any difference. But why would you cover up the holes??

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Yes, covering the speaker holes is like covering a steam vent...the pressure will build up tremendously and your phone will swell up and eventually explode and kill everyone within a 500 foot radius.

Please, in the name of safety...don't do it!:eek:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Normal speakers that you see have holes in the housing for a reason right? Not just for looks I assume?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Normal speakers that you see have holes in the housing for a reason right? Not just for looks I assume?

Yes, it has holes to let the sound out.

If you keep it in...see Post# 8...:eek:

My friends below think the question is a terrific one...

Attachments

• Ugly Twins.png
    Ugly Twins.png
    380 KB · Views: 607

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Oops I didn't mean cover it up on purpose, The situation I'm talking about is that when im playing a game it's a lot more comfortable for me to hold the phone in a way where my hands cover up the speaker. But I try to avoid covering it and use a less comfortable position because I think I'm doing damage to it in some way. So just wondering if I should be subjecting myself to less comfort or if it really doesn't matter.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Oops I didn't mean cover it up on purpose, The situation I'm talking about is that when im playing a game it's a lot more comfortable for me to hold the phone in a way where my hands cover up the speaker. But I try to avoid covering it and use a less comfortable position because I think I'm doing damage to it in some way. So just wondering if I should be subjecting myself to less comfort or if it really doesn't matter.

Oh heavens, much ado fer nuthing.

I thought you want to seal it.

The hole of course is for the sound to get out, if you are able to hear sound, then you are not sealing it, but merely blocking the hole a little. Is OK, it's not gonna hurt it.

Next serious problem please! :)

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks, it just felt weird to hear the muffled sound and it felt like i was doing damage.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Hey guys just wondering if covering up the speaker holes at the bottom of the phone while trying to play sounds/music from it affects it life or makes it more likely to blow? Because of air pressure or something like that? Might be a stupid question but im just making sure.

Nope.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Covering the speaker will cause the soundwaves to bounce back into the speakers. The soundwaves will oscillate thru the internals, creating a "wobbling" effect on the ICs that will shorten their life.

Just kidding :D

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
@OP: Air is compressible so you're fine- be thankful your not using the iPhone underwater, though, because water doesn't compress....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.