Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Do you still use your iPhone as that conventional calling device? I have found that to be getting less relevant as more Apps offer alternative to forms of communication like instant messaging and social interaction. Perhaps also saving on the ever draining battery?

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Do you still use your iPhone as that conventional calling device? I have found that to be getting less relevant as more Apps offer alternative to forms of communication like instant messaging and social interaction. Perhaps also saving on the ever draining battery?

Yup my habits have not changed since 2003, I still call as often as I did before. I just communicate to a lot more people now. (Which I find annoying)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Mr Bobb 2012 Etiquette: Voice calling during the work week should be for things that need attention RIGHT NOW, everything else text.

Do not MMS me any little cute kitten picture u find, u may end up in my spam box. :rolleyes:

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
My fiancée and my parents still demand the use of the good old phone part of my device. :)

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Mr Bobb 2012 Etiquette: Voice calling during the work week should be for things that need attention RIGHT NOW, everything else text.

I agree with this. For me also, calling is usually for stuff that requires immediate attention (or a good catch-up etc.), whereas messaging is for the more normal, less pressing communications.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Not much of a caller, I just talk to my girlfriend every night but we rather voice call through Skype. The call quality sounds SO MUCH BETTER. Maybe I'll be a caller when wifi calling is actually a big thing.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

I read a survey (sorry no link) that revealed most users do very little calling with their smartphones. Most prefer to email, text, use social, or IM. No surprise especially for those who work in an office and can communicate more discreetly than talking on the phone.

Because of my disappointment with iPhone 5, I am seriously considering using my Nexus 7 instead. It has the perfect amount of screen real estate, whereas the iP5 is just too tiny. I would then revert to one of my small feature phones, activated just for the occasional phone call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.