Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:12 PM   #1
raptorstv
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Who else is waiting for 9.7" iPad with thinner bezel?

I certainly do.... The current regular ipad is too heavy to lug around, whereas the ipad mini compromises too much on its screen size
raptorstv is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
nharrietha
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
I agree. The only thing that has stopped me from upgrading from my iPad 2 is the weight/thickness of the newer iPads. I like the Mini, but with specs identical to my iPad 2 makes it seem kind of pointless for me to fork out another $500+. When the new iPads are released I'm hoping the Mini will have retina and the big brother will be lighter/thinner, then I will make the upgrade based on my needs.
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro 15''; White iPhone 5 64GB; White iPad 2 64GB; 3rd Gen. Apple TV
nharrietha is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:34 PM   #3
iToonz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nharrietha View Post
I agree. The only thing that has stopped me from upgrading from my iPad 2 is the weight/thickness of the newer iPads. I like the Mini, but with specs identical to my iPad 2 makes it seem kind of pointless for me to fork out another $500+. When the new iPads are released I'm hoping the Mini will have retina and the big brother will be lighter/thinner, then I will make the upgrade based on my needs.

Better jump on the wagon now. 12-21-2012 is supposed to be the last day on earth.......
__________________
iPhone 4 16GB Unlocked; iPhone 4s 16GB Factory Unlocked, iPad 3 16GB; iPad mini 16GB
iToonz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:14 PM   #4
raptorstv
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iToonz View Post
Better jump on the wagon now. 12-21-2012 is supposed to be the last day on earth.......
Refund them on the 22nd if it turns out not to be the case lol
raptorstv is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:35 PM   #5
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
I certainly do.... The current regular ipad is too heavy to lug around, whereas the ipad mini compromises too much on its screen size
The bezel doesn't have much to do with the weight. It's the thickness packed with all that battery. I'd love to have a lighter large iPad as well. I like mini but find it's still a wee bit too small for tablet apps.
fertilized-egg is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:32 AM   #6
fongyuen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
yeah, after seeing what apple can do with the ipad mini, i'm hoping the next full size one will have thinner bezels too.
fongyuen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:40 AM   #7
bteam
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
It won't happen until they integrate IGZO displays. With less power consumption, Apple should be able to use smaller batteries leading to less weight.
bteam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:47 AM   #8
flavr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I actually prefer the larger bezel...it gives me somewhere to hold. Sure the iPad could lose a bit of weight but I still went for the iPad 4, it's a powerhouse! Thinner, lighter meh :/ From the front it will still look the same, gorgeous screen and all...
flavr is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:56 AM   #9
daywiz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
I actually prefer the larger bezel...it gives me somewhere to hold. Sure the iPad could lose a bit of weight but I still went for the iPad 4, it's a powerhouse! Thinner, lighter meh :/ From the front it will still look the same, gorgeous screen and all...
I agree with you on the bezel size. Considering that the full-size iPad is meant to be held with two hands more often, it would mean that the current bezel is a better option.

But considering that iPhone 5, iPad mini both utilized thinner bezels, I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly thinner bezel, but not overly thinner.

as for the iPad being thin, I don't think we should anything more than 15% thinner. Making it too thin also would affect the heat dissipation. As it is, currently the iPad 4th generation hits temperature around 35C -39C. IGZO & MEMS technology could reduce the power consumption, and reduce the requirement of dual LED backlight to a single LED backlight. As somebody already pointed out, the battery size should come down, thereby reducing the weight. The approach would depend on Apple's plan of just retaining the 10-12 hour, or using the a slightly reduced battery size, and showing a massive improvement in the battery life.

I am hoping for a weight reduction of around 40%, which should bring the weight around 392g from 652g. Anything more would be a bonus.

As for the LTE models, I think they may switch into Qualcomm Gobi MDM9625, which should make it truly LTE friendly.

Can't wait for the launch in mid-2013.
daywiz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:21 AM   #10
raptorstv
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
I agree with you on the bezel size. Considering that the full-size iPad is meant to be held with two hands more often, it would mean that the current bezel is a better option.

But considering that iPhone 5, iPad mini both utilized thinner bezels, I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly thinner bezel, but not overly thinner.

as for the iPad being thin, I don't think we should anything more than 15% thinner. Making it too thin also would affect the heat dissipation. As it is, currently the iPad 4th generation hits temperature around 35C -39C. IGZO & MEMS technology could reduce the power consumption, and reduce the requirement of dual LED backlight to a single LED backlight. As somebody already pointed out, the battery size should come down, thereby reducing the weight. The approach would depend on Apple's plan of just retaining the 10-12 hour, or using the a slightly reduced battery size, and showing a massive improvement in the battery life.

I am hoping for a weight reduction of around 40%, which should bring the weight around 392g from 652g. Anything more would be a bonus.

As for the LTE models, I think they may switch into Qualcomm Gobi MDM9625, which should make it truly LTE friendly.

Can't wait for the launch in mid-2013.
I hope ure right with 40% lighter dude!
raptorstv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:28 AM   #11
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Next ipad needs to weigh in at just under a pound with a bezel design similar to the mini. I was at the ipad store...errr..apple store today, and ipad 4 looks about as current as a plastic candy apple imac. Mini getting all the attention.
rowspaxe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:47 AM   #12
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
I certainly do.... The current regular ipad is too heavy to lug around, whereas the ipad mini compromises too much on its screen size
Yep, thinner bezels will really drop the iPad weight.
kodeman53 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Stetrain
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I very much doubt that the bezel will get thinner soon. They've had plenty of opportunity to do so since the iPad first came out, and it has stayed the same while much of the rest of the design was tweaked and changed.

They could definitely make it a lot lighter as battery and screen tech improves while keeping the bezel the same. I think that would make it a lot easier to hold and use.
Stetrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:53 AM   #14
w00t951
macrumors 68000
 
w00t951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 116th & Broadway
The iPad 2's design has been used for the 3 and the 4. It's about time they release a complete redesign, and that's what I'll be getting.

All of Apple's product lineup has been losing weight and getting smaller and thinner over time. It's time for the iPad to follow suit.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina, iPhone 6 Plus, Harold (i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 980 @ 1512/3750MHz)
w00t951 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:27 PM   #15
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
I hope ure right with 40% lighter dude!
392 gram looks unlikely at this point. I'd say, at best, 500 grams.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
Yep, thinner bezels will really drop the iPad weight.
Uh, yeah. It would. Arguably, the glass and the aluminum are the heaviest components of an iPad, probably followed by the battery and magnets.

Drastically reduce the bezels would you allow to get rid of a lot of heavy glass - and aluminum.

Combine this with an IGZO display which results in 50% less LED bars and a much lower power consumption (thus a much smaller, and lighter, battery) and we could definitely break through the iPad 2's weight of 601 g.
ThatsMeRight is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:38 PM   #16
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetrain View Post
I very much doubt that the bezel will get thinner soon. They've had plenty of opportunity to do so since the iPad first came out, and it has stayed the same while much of the rest of the design was tweaked and changed.

They could definitely make it a lot lighter as battery and screen tech improves while keeping the bezel the same. I think that would make it a lot easier to hold and use.
Umm,,,no, a thinner bezel will make it easier to hold and use. The Mini is a test to see how the form is received by consumers. The next iPad will follow suit. IZGO will be the thing to make this happen- smaller thinner battery, thinner bezels, current Mini backing.
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:26 PM   #17
Stetrain
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Umm,,,no, a thinner bezel will make it easier to hold and use. The Mini is a test to see how the form is received by consumers. The next iPad will follow suit. IZGO will be the thing to make this happen- smaller thinner battery, thinner bezels, current Mini backing.
What does IGZO have to do with a thinner bezel on the iPad? The iPad's bezel isn't there for technical reasons, it's a design decision.

If it changes it will be because Apple rethought that decision.
Stetrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:27 PM   #18
daywiz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
392 gram looks unlikely at this point. I'd say, at best, 500 grams.

----------



Uh, yeah. It would. Arguably, the glass and the aluminum are the heaviest components of an iPad, probably followed by the battery and magnets.

Drastically reduce the bezels would you allow to get rid of a lot of heavy glass - and aluminum.

Combine this with an IGZO display which results in 50% less LED bars and a much lower power consumption (thus a much smaller, and lighter, battery) and we could definitely break through the iPad 2's weight of 601 g.
500g isnt a groundbreaking figure. a reduction of only around 152g or around 24% based on the current weight seems to be too little. the mini got a 53% reduction. agreed that it doesnt hve the retina and the corresponding battery size but defintely it shld shave more than jz 150g. Like u pointd out..Igzo shld help reduce the battery size and the led backlights...tht shld mean a sufficient drop. add to that the new gf ditto production or in-cell tech ..and a thinner enclosure..all of which shld see a good weight drop. the ipad 2after adding retina nd bigger battery gained 52g..but the mini version with similar specs nd 1.8" less screen weighed 320g with d same tech. this is y i feel is possible to push it around 400g..even though its jz a wish to get around 40%..but even 420g wld b gud enuf..lets keep fingers crossed

Last edited by daywiz; Dec 8, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
daywiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:42 PM   #19
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I, for one, don't want the bezel size to change. I have the mini, and when reading ebooks in portrait, I find that the pages will often flip because I inadvertently touch the edge of the screen. Yes, the smart detection that's supposed to reject inadvertent touches sometimes works, but again, sometimes it doesn't.
Night Spring is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:08 PM   #20
senseless
macrumors 65816
 
senseless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
The Ipad does get a bit weighty after extended use. You can't do much with the glass without sacrificing durability. If they can reduce the chip count and get lower power consumption, the battery size and much of the weight could be reduced.
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:23 PM   #21
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
500g isnt a groundbreaking figure. a reduction of only around 152g or around 24% based on the current weight seems to be too little. the mini got a 53% reduction. agreed that it doesnt hve the retina and the corresponding battery size but defintely it shld shave more than jz 150g. Like u pointd out..Igzo shld help reduce the battery size and the led backlights...tht shld mean a sufficient drop. add to that the new gf ditto production or in-cell tech ..and a thinner enclosure..all of which shld see a good weight drop. the ipad 2after adding retina nd bigger battery gained 52g..but the mini version with similar specs nd 1.8" less screen weighed 320g with d same tech. this is y i feel is possible to push it around 400g..even though its jz a wish to get around 40%..but even 420g wld b gud enuf..lets keep fingers crossed
I think you are really thinking about this in the wrong way.

If they started to use IGZO displays, and thus 50% less LEDs and a smaller battery, you'd again reach about the weight of an iPad 2. (The bigger battery + more LEDs were added with the iPad 3). So than we would be at 600 grams.

To shave of another 100 grams is quite difficult. The best way I can imagine to shave lots of weight of is by removing the magnets (for the smart covers), but it appears as if those smart covers sell extremely well so they won't do that.

In-cell-tech will not remove much weight at all. Very little in fact. It's like removing a hair from your head.

Also, let's not forget that they also need to add something new. They won't just give it a redesign and that's it.

Quote:
but the mini version with similar specs nd 1.8" less screen weighed 320g with d same tech.
Huge mistake here. 1.8" less of screen diagonal is not equal to 1.8 cubic inch less.

Arguably, the glass and the aluminium back are the heaviest components. The iPad mini has a surface of 269 cubic centimeters. The 9.7" iPad has a surface of 448 cubic centimetres. This means the iPad mini carries about a third less glass! And that also means a lot of aluminium is gone.

To go anywhere below 500 grams is tough if you want to continue to use glass and aluminium.

Those things you say: smaller battery, 50% less LEDs, IGZO display, etc. will bring us back around the 600 gram mark. They key is to use as little glass and aluminium as possible.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:40 PM   #22
Bokes
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Would people choose a 9.7" retina screen if it was lighter and thinner over the mini with lower specs? I wonder.
The extra screen real estate is nice- but it still will not fit in a coat pocket.
I use the 9.7 retina at home and the mini on the go.

A retina mini would be perfect- but if we don't get one- I would go back to carrying around a lighter thinner 9.7" and ditch the mini.
Bokes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:46 PM   #23
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
I hope not. My thumb would cover up too much of the screen when held one handed. Small bezel on the mini makes sense, but not on the full iPad.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:09 PM   #24
zzLZHzz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
as long as it doesn't compromise the battery, i am all for it.
zzLZHzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:11 PM   #25
raptorstv
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
I think you are really thinking about this in the wrong way.

If they started to use IGZO displays, and thus 50% less LEDs and a smaller battery, you'd again reach about the weight of an iPad 2. (The bigger battery + more LEDs were added with the iPad 3). So than we would be at 600 grams.

To shave of another 100 grams is quite difficult. The best way I can imagine to shave lots of weight of is by removing the magnets (for the smart covers), but it appears as if those smart covers sell extremely well so they won't do that.

In-cell-tech will not remove much weight at all. Very little in fact. It's like removing a hair from your head.

Also, let's not forget that they also need to add something new. They won't just give it a redesign and that's it.


Huge mistake here. 1.8" less of screen diagonal is not equal to 1.8 cubic inch less.

Arguably, the glass and the aluminium back are the heaviest components. The iPad mini has a surface of 269 cubic centimeters. The 9.7" iPad has a surface of 448 cubic centimetres. This means the iPad mini carries about a third less glass! And that also means a lot of aluminium is gone.

To go anywhere below 500 grams is tough if you want to continue to use glass and aluminium.

Those things you say: smaller battery, 50% less LEDs, IGZO display, etc. will bring us back around the 600 gram mark. They key is to use as little glass and aluminium as possible.
Ok lets not use glass, aluminum, and thick bezel then
raptorstv is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WSJ: Thinner iPad and Retina iPad Mini Expected on Tuesday MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 224 Oct 27, 2013 11:27 AM
Apple to Release Thinner Fifth-Generation iPad and Retina iPad Mini in Last Three Months of 2013 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 190 Sep 25, 2013 07:00 PM
Brand new iPad 2 refuses to restore, stuck on "waiting for ipad" striker33 iPad 1 Dec 21, 2012 06:52 AM
Looking for iPad "bezel" decal/cover anti-microsoft iPad Accessories 5 Aug 9, 2012 10:25 AM
Thank you Apple: For making the rMBP bezel thinner shurcooL MacBook Pro 24 Jun 19, 2012 01:50 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC