Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:22 PM   #1
thedeejay
macrumors 65816

iOS 6 on iPod Touch - Unuseable now?

I need some advice. I've seen people say they're running iOS 6 on iPod Touch 4 and it's running fine. I'm having issues and wondering what to do

1) Major lag, literally scrolling through music is lagging followed by crashing
2) Safari instantly crashes (odd because it never did before and now it is)
3) Any type of I messaging sucks because messages that come in are so slow and choppy I have to restart

I've done 2 clean restores and set up as new. What's going on??????
thedeejay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Troneas
macrumors 65816

i have an iPod touch 4G running iOS 6 and whilst i do experience the occasional lag here and there, it works pretty well since the latest update (6.0.1).

not even the app store crashes as it used to.

not sure what the issue with your device could be. i have around 100 apps and 600 music files - its not a lot; and i've read that having too many apps and insanely large music collections can have an adverse effect on your iPods performance.
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:45 PM   #3
burgundyyears
macrumors 6502

Might be a hardware problem. I had some issues on my 4G with the App Store with 6.0 (very crashy), but 6.0.1 has been fine. Actually less laggy than 5.1 for me. I haven't had to restore as new either.
burgundyyears is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:20 PM   #4
touchipods
macrumors regular

Do not update to iOS 6 on touch 4g. You will regret it. Here is why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by max53389 View Post
If interested in the free ram usage on my iPod touch 4g:
iOS 6.0: 80mb

iOS 5.1.1: 140mb
IOS 4.3.2: 137 mb
(Took along time to downgrade and restore back up to iOS 6)
I got the average ram after a respring and after clearing the memory 3 times but iOS 6 couldn't free the memory so average couldn't get a little boost like other iOS versions. I got the free ram numbers from sbsettings and sbsettings is not fully compatible with iOS 6 so that might of been a factor.

I defiantly noticed the lack of ram in apps. It's the first iOS version where stock apps crashed on me. Settings and the app store crashed 5 minutes in. (I always restore when I upgrade so that is not the problem)
I hope I gave you some insight what is going on with iOS 6.
I might update you guys later with better results when sbsettings is compatible with iOS 6.
I doubt it changed much with 6.0.1 firmware. Hopefully 6.1 makes device smooth with more free RAM and some new features for once. Although 6.1 beta's have been lame.

iOS4 was smooth throughout. iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1 was a laggy crashing mess on touch 4g until 5.1 made it smooth again. 5.1.1 brought back some of the crashing though which I'm currently on.

Honestly iOS6 offered nothing really new or exciting (Passbook literally could've been an app in the App Store like Podcast). Do Not Disturb and Panaroma could've also been a minor update for 5.2 (like the camera icon shortcut was added in 5.1). I also dislike some of the layout changes:

-Music app. In iOS6 everything is white so it is painful to look at.

-App Store and Itunes. iOS6 layout is bad because you can't see the rating (# of stars) unless you click on the app. Also searching is worse because it only shows a few at a time. So can't quickly scroll lesser known apps or underrated ones.

-Apple Maps. Although it works decent in US, worldwide is a bit of a mess. Not having Street View or transit info is less features. However once Google finishes the Google Map App (and Apple allows it) this 'controversy' should die down.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

My iPod Touch 4G will be staying on 5.1.1 for the rest of its life, and that's the best possible measure. No compelling reason to put iOS 6 on it for me.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Outrun1986
macrumors regular

My iPod touch 4g only had 10mb of free ram according to a system monitor app I was running, and only that app. This is nothing and is barely enough for an app. I had constant app crashes and the music player would do nothing but lag. This device is basically not usable on iOS. As for how much I had on the iPod I had at least 8gb free storage on a 32gb iPod. As for having too much stuff on the device I bought the device to use it not to run 1-2 apps. If I can't use it then it becomes pointless to even own it.
Outrun1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun1986 View Post
If I can't use it then it becomes pointless to even own it.
I would sell it then and buy something you can use.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Outrun1986
macrumors regular

I bought a 5th gen and used the 4th for music only
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:12 PM   #9
nickn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So Apple screwed you over and you bought from them again???? Why????? Apple ruined my iPad, and that was the last time as I switched to a Nexus.
nickn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Outrun1986
macrumors regular

Because I can fill 2 iPods easily and I can listen to music while I use apps on the other. You can't listen to music and use apps at the same time on an iPod since the apps make noise and interrupt the music. This resulted in me listening to almost no music since I am constantly running apps on my device.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:44 PM   #11
Brandyyy
macrumors newbie

I think you can use it anywya
Brandyyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:00 PM   #12
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Because I can fill 2 iPods easily and I can listen to music while I use apps on the other. You can't listen to music and use apps at the same time on an iPod since the apps make noise and interrupt the music. This resulted in me listening to almost no music since I am constantly running apps on my device.
I "on the other hand" think that in your case, Ipad would be more suited.

Games and web browsing on ipad. Ipod touch 4 for music, video, light gaming.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:23 PM   #13
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 4 lags a bit but nothing major (running iOS 6). Just remember the iPod touch 4 gen was not designed for ios 6 so you might have a few issues in regards to lag. But all in all nothing huge imo and if you have problems that seem major might be more then the software you might have a hardware issue. If you are still under warranty I don't see why apple wouldn't take care of your iPod. Just something to think about.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

iOS 6 is optimized for individual specific device, so if you properly installed it, it should be alright. However, it will still lag in certain areas, and not as fast as the latest generation as well.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:30 PM   #15
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

iOS 6.1 is reportedly supposed to make the iPhone 4, 4s and 4th gen touch much snappier.
TacticalDesire is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:58 PM   #16
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
iOS 6.1 is reportedly supposed to make the iPhone 4, 4s and 4th gen touch much snappier.
How do you know? I don't see it in the changelog, and with every new iOS update, there's always bound to be people who said the new update made their phone "snappier"...
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:04 AM   #17
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

The source escapes me but I know I saw it somewhere! Lol and it was at least a somewhat credible source. As in it wasn't a forum post. It was a website giving the run down of ios 6.1
TacticalDesire is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:25 AM   #18
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
The source escapes me but I know I saw it somewhere! Lol and it was at least a somewhat credible source. As in it wasn't a forum post. It was a website giving the run down of ios 6.1
I think we will have to see when 6.1 actually come out.

However, new update are mostly focused to fix problems of new device rather than fixing the lag of older ones. Apple would encourage people to buy new device.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:57 AM   #19
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
So Apple screwed you over and you bought from them again???? Why????? Apple ruined my iPad, and that was the last time as I switched to a Nexus.
Apple forced you to upgrade to iOS 6 without allowing you to check online to see what other users had been saying did they?

Last edited by Jsameds; Dec 17, 2012 at 06:20 AM.
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:53 AM   #20
Ffosse
macrumors 6502

My 4th gen. ran like crap on ios 6 - too little RAM.
Ffosse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:23 PM   #21
DIRAC2
macrumors newbie

G5 iPod

Quote:
I bought an iPod 5th generation but I can't connect to my WiFi network. Did you connect OK? I am on OS6
DIRAC2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch