Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DHart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I'm considering buying a new MacBook Air. Does it make any economic sense to purchase the model with the 128GB SSD in it and then replace it on my own with a 512GB or 750GB SSD?

Would there be much economic savings by doing this?

Is the replacement process somewhat user-do-able or definitely a professional job?

DHart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Internally, for the 2012 Air largest you can purchase is 480GB for $660 at macsales.com

Oh... ok, I didn't realize that.

I know you can get a high-end 13" MBA with 512GB SSD here:

http://www.themacstore.com/parts/show/c-nma-z0nd-ult

SO, Im wondering about getting one with 128GB SSD and then doing an upgrade. Might not be much savings is going that route, I guess.

And I still don't know if swapping an SSD in the 13" MBA is difficult or not too bad.

DHart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
They literally have install videos showing the EXACT steps you need to take when upgrading a SSD:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbook_air_2012/

It's very easy.

inaka.... yes, sure is a piece of cake!

Now I'm wondering where to get the 512GB SSD that is used in some of the 2012 MBA's and what price it would be.

Is there much of a market for a slightly used 128GB SSD (the one removed from the new MBA)?

inaka

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
You may want to check this thread just to be safe:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1459847/

Some are having reliability issues with the OWC product.

A genuine OEM 512GB SSD from Apple/Samsung can be purchased here:http://www.yourmacstore.com/samsung-512gb-ssd-for-macbook-air-2012/

I can't vouch for yourmacstore.com though.
Please do your own research.

Since you're buying a new machine, and not upgrading an existing machine, it might be best to avoid all the headaches and just pony up for the 512GB (or largest SSD you can afford) from Apple at the time of purchase.

DHart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Since you're buying a new machine, and not upgrading an existing machine, it might be best to avoid all the headaches and just pony up for the 512GB (or largest SSD you can afford) from Apple at the time of purchase.

Doing the math on upgrades and such, considering the RAM is soldered in, etc. My thoughts of buying a low end MBA and upgrading the RAM and storage myself have pretty much fizzled out.

I think you're right... the simplest and probably best approach for this machine is to pony up and buy the full-tilt version from the get go.

Thanks very much for the assistance!

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
My plan is to just hold off on buying a larger SSD until prices (hopefully) come down. 128 GB will last me since I try not to store a lot of media on it anyway other than music.

inaka

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
My plan is to just hold off on buying a larger SSD until prices (hopefully) come down. 128 GB will last me since I try not to store a lot of media on it anyway other than music.
I understand your plan, but just because SSD prices come down doesn't mean Apple will be eager to quickly adopt a lower pricing structure. They'll likely wait until the 2013 refresh anyway, and their price reduction likely won't reflect the same percentage drop in SSD prices. Just see how much they up-charge for RAM on the Mac Pro, etc.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Is there much of a market for a slightly used 128GB SSD (the one removed from the new MBA)?

Not really. These aren't standard parts. They work in the macbook air. If someone has a dead ssd, they might offer you something, but it would be less for a used one than a new OWC part even though these are genuine oem parts. A used 128 just isn't that desirable.

This is not something you should count on. OWC is making these for a proprietary system, so they must overcome whatever fixed costs via a small number of units sold. This is just not something you should count on.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
This is not something you should count on. OWC is making these for a proprietary system, so they must overcome whatever fixed costs via a small number of units sold. This is just not something you should count on.

Sure you should. It isn't a matter of if, but when electronic prices drop and at what rate. It is bound to happen.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Sure you should. It isn't a matter of if, but when electronic prices drop and at what rate. It is bound to happen.

I'm not questioning whether ssds will become cheaper over time. I'm questioning whether these will. Apple is known for minor changes to proprietary connectors, and these are not officially upgradable. This is a niche product that will only contract if Apple modifies their connector again. If the Airs used either a standard 2.5" or msata form factor for their ssds, I wouldn't lack confidence in future (cheaper) upgrades.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I have the 128gb, and it's plenty for me for system files and programs. I use a usb 3 2tb drive for all my pics and itunes library. They would not even fit on a 480gb drive, so it wouldn't matter anyway.

Just use external storage you can connect easily and transfer back and forth fast with. SSD prices are still a little ridiculous for large amounts.

DHart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
This new MBA quest for my wife was not intended to replace her high-end 17" MBP which she already has and will be keeping.

She only needed a "lite" version of the 17" MBP for more convenient remote use, where higher storage capacity wasn't necessary, but full Mac functionality in a small and lightweight package was helpful... thus she bought a 13" MBA with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD for $1120 or so.

Nice little machine which is doing it's job very nicely. It's a good lite-version media-creation machine, bridging the gap between the iPad (for media consumption) and the larger, heavier, fully-loaded 17" MBP (for media creation). For her usage, the three machines each have a good niche and compliment each other well.

I'm tempted by the MBA myself, but don't have as much a need for one. My mobile media consumption machine is an iPad, with a loaded 17" MBP for chair use, and a loaded 27" i7 iMac for desktop use. I am lusting after my wife's new Air, though. ;)

Masterhalifax

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
UK
Excuse my Ignorance...

How exactly does increasing the SSD help, i know it enlarges the memory capacity but is that all?

DHart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Excuse my Ignorance...

How exactly does increasing the SSD help, i know it enlarges the memory capacity but is that all?

The SSD is a solid state storage device. It serves in the same role as the HDD (hard disk drive) does in a more traditional scenario as it holds the OS, your apps, and your files. As such, it is limited as to how much it can store. If you need to store more capacity (for more apps, music files, movies, huge image files, etc.) than your SSD or HDD can contain, you have an issue to be dealt with.

Masterhalifax

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
UK
The SSD is a solid state storage device. It serves in the same role as the HDD (hard disk drive) does in a more traditional scenario as it holds the OS, your apps, and your files. As such, it is limited as to how much it can store. If you need to store more capacity (for more apps, music files, movies, huge image files, etc.) than your SSD or HDD can contain, you have an issue to be dealt with.

Excellent thanks for clearing that up...

having a major dilemma as i have run out of storage and its a toss up between - SSD - iCloud - External Drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.