Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:47 PM   #1
asdf212
macrumors regular

Deleting Texts/Modifying backup files

Is there any way to edit or modify my iPhone backup files?
There are certain texts I do not want to be read, and Im wondering if I can edit them or stop them from reappearing if i restore from any kind of backup.

Is this possible?
asdf212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

As far as I know the answer is no. However I am a bit confused why you ask this question. Why don't you just simply restore your phone from back up. Then delete the SMS that you don't want other people to read on your iPhone and then set up a pass code lock?
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
dccorona
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf212 View Post
Is there any way to edit or modify my iPhone backup files?
There are certain texts I do not want to be read, and Im wondering if I can edit them or stop them from reappearing if i restore from any kind of backup.

Is this possible?
restore from the backup, delete the texts individually (by hitting edit from within the conversation, selecting those you wish to delete, and then tapping the trash can icon).

delete all backups from your computer. Depending on whether you use a mac or pc or iCloud, this will be different...google "where are iPhone backups stored on ___", or in iCloud, you can delete them from the iCloud storage tab on the phone itself

finally, back up the phone again, so all backups you have from now on will not contain the text messages you wanted deleted.

you could also do it by editing the backup files themselves, but unless you know EXACTLY how these files are structured, you'll just corrupt them. So I'd stay away from that unless you're the one who designed the backup system, in which case I doubt you'd be asking this question

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone