Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richfromroch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Rochester, NY
I have a mid-2011 I5 2.5Ghz Mini and my Elgato EyeTV hybrid tuner bit the dust. I'm looking at the HDHomeRun tuner to replace it because it has dual tuners and a lower price. I understand the HDHomeRun PC version distributed by SiliconDust and the Mac version distributed by Elgato are the same hardware, but Elgato includes Eye TV and a year subscription to TV Guide -- all at a much heftier price. I already have the software, so does anyone have experience with this device on a Mini?
Rich
Rochester, NY

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Yes. Works great. It's ethernet, so you might have some initial trouble setting it up, but once you do, it works just as well as my old Miglia MiniHD. At the time I bought my HomeRun, there was no Mac version, so what I have is similar to what you're thinking of buying.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I ordered one last month through woot, the dual tuner. I had it set up for less than a day and I rain into some trouble with my server. I should be finished recovering everything this weekend. Can't wait to get give it a shot.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I have had one of these for many, many years. It is fantastic. It is rock solid. Just recently I started using it again after about a 2 year hiatus--it was still working, didn't need to reset the power or anything.

The best part about a network tuner is your computer no longer has to be attached to the antenna. No drivers, no stupid USB dongles.

Any computer in the house, Mac, Windows, Linux, can use it. It is first-come, first-served for the two tuners.

I've used it with EyeTV and Windows Media Center. Works great with both.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I just bought one the other day. Had some problems with the cable card install but finally got it working today. I'm running on Windows 7 on my rMBP for now, but planning on getting a Mac Mini. I'm hoping they release the firmware to allow playback on PS3 so I don't have to use Windows.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Didn't Elgato have a version of HDHomeRun? I haven't tried SiliconDust's software but EyeTV is typical Mac quality, reliable, easy to use and great looking.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Didn't Elgato have a version of HDHomeRun? I haven't tried SiliconDust's software but EyeTV is typical Mac quality, reliable, easy to use and great looking.

They did, then they didn't. From an earlier post in this thread, they now have it again.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

SiliconDust doesn't have any software. It is just a network tuner device.

I originally used Windows Media Center and now I use EyeTV. In fact, because it's a network device with two tuners, you could use both at the same time.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I got it to work for some clear QAM, but doesn't work with cable channels. So basically worthless. You need to run Windows or wait for the firmware update that allows PS3 use coming later this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.