Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:50 PM   #51
rpg51
macrumors 6502

Well, I did a turnkey SSD recently in a refurb drop shipped and it came out great.

Edit: This was a 2011 iMac. Not a MBA.

Last edited by rpg51; Dec 9, 2012 at 07:14 AM.
rpg51 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:48 AM   #52
Mordichka
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWC Grant View Post
We're sorry for the experience you had, mediacomposer. We did try reaching out to you directly via phone and email, but our contacts went unanswered.

On 10/10, we did issue a credit for the remaining balance and thus you have received back 100% of your purchase and shipping expenditure.

We didn't post the review as we often find that once we begin direct dialogue with a customer, things are resolved and that then adds more factual information to the entire review/reply thread. Another aspect is that we were concerned posting the review might encourage another reader to modify the inside of their MBA such as you did.

The non-fit aspect of the Aura Pro in your 2012 MBA was an isolated experience...we honestly have not had other reports of such.

Lastly, on the performance aspect, we can only point to what others like The SSD Review have found in that the Aura Pro is the fastest SSD available for this machine. As much as we can claim such, we suggest the independent reviewers' unbiased take on our products have the most weight.

Hope this reply restores everyone's faith and trust in OWC. We've been serving your needs since 1988 and plan on doing so for many more years to come.
OWC is incorrect, I reported the exact same problem to OWC with a 180GB Aura on October 23, 2012.

This is the RMA issued by Kevin at OWC for the same problem:

ERA-97176-763

I love OWC and have had excellent service from them. I sent them pictures of the problem and they said it was an isolated case, probably caused by the close tolerances required by manufacturing.

I was eventually able to force the SSD into the machine (which I would not recommend - it was probably not very smart on my part, I hate returning things), but it worked. Also, a PRAM refresh was necessary because of initial very slow boot up. It now works fine, but I will probably never remove it - my bad.

I give OWC credit for fast response to the problem and offering an immediate RMA. But I did report this problem, including sending them pictures showing that their Aura SSD was slightly longer than the Toshiba stock SSD, and that it did not fit.

So please OWC, just admit that there was/is a problem with some of your Auras for 2012 Airs - don't post here that you are unaware of this problem with at least some of your products. Your service is fantastic, but don't try hiding problems.

Last edited by Mordichka; Dec 9, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Mordichka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:20 PM   #53
OWC Grant
macrumors newbie

see vendor information in user profile
I think its important to clarify not fitting versus tight fit. Since some time has lapsed since first replying to this thread, only 10 modules have been returned to us as not being able to fit. Of those, upon investigation, only 2 were deemed to be too thick to fit regardless of pressure used to install. Hope you can appreciate can't divulge the number sold for business reasons...but just two is an incredibly low number to be deemed truly defective based on physical characteristics.

With any custom designed module, there is going to be +/- variances. This is not a matter of deficient QC...this a matter of expectations for a fit that perhaps are unfounded.

Regarding the worry about damaging machine by applying too much pressure during module install...can only share what we know...in that we have not done such ourselves nor been informed of such out in the field.

Come on guys....from day one nearly 25 years ago, OWC has been about honesty, integrity, transparency. Not likely at this stage we're going to offer a product that will damage your machine.

Can I say 100% of all Auras will fit? Can't based on production variances. But can say for certain that we're QCing these even more so to prevent even those two referenced above from getting into a customer's hands.

Hope those with an MBA will have have some faith and try an Aura. It IS after all, the ONLY internal upgrade you can make! For whatever reason, the various media reviewers (which we DON'T advertise with) have had no trouble or concerns fitting the Aura module in. Some have stated it's a tight fit...but moved on from such and successfully tested and compared to the factory flash module.

Dunno what more I can say to assuage your concerns. Hope this resolves the issue.

Thanks!
OWC Grant is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:01 PM   #54
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I think its important to clarify not fitting versus tight fit. Since some time has lapsed since first replying to this thread, only 10 modules have been returned to us as not being able to fit. Of those, upon investigation, only 2 were deemed to be too thick to fit regardless of pressure used to install. Hope you can appreciate can't divulge the number sold for business reasons...but just two is an incredibly low number to be deemed truly defective based on physical characteristics.

With any custom designed module, there is going to be +/- variances. This is not a matter of deficient QC...this a matter of expectations for a fit that perhaps are unfounded.

Regarding the worry about damaging machine by applying too much pressure during module install...can only share what we know...in that we have not done such ourselves nor been informed of such out in the field.

Come on guys....from day one nearly 25 years ago, OWC has been about honesty, integrity, transparency. Not likely at this stage we're going to offer a product that will damage your machine.

Can I say 100% of all Auras will fit? Can't based on production variances. But can say for certain that we're QCing these even more so to prevent even those two referenced above from getting into a customer's hands.

Hope those with an MBA will have have some faith and try an Aura. It IS after all, the ONLY internal upgrade you can make! For whatever reason, the various media reviewers (which we DON'T advertise with) have had no trouble or concerns fitting the Aura module in. Some have stated it's a tight fit...but moved on from such and successfully tested and compared to the factory flash module.

Dunno what more I can say to assuage your concerns. Hope this resolves the issue.

Thanks!
Poor production tolerances and poor QC if you ask me. You can blow smoke all you want. This is definitely an issue. Once you heard about the issue, you should have checked each module on the production line for fit before packaging and selling. Not leaving it to your customer to tell you about the issue. Bush league quality there.

Btw the Aura is NOT the only internal upgrade you can make. There is such a thing as OEM Toshiba and Samsung SSD drives a customer could use rather than a OWC drive that won't fit or require "just push harder" comments from staff at OWC.
53x12 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:15 PM   #55
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
Poor production tolerances and poor QC if you ask me. You can blow smoke all you want. This is definitely an issue. Once you heard about the issue, you should have checked each module on the production line for fit before packaging and selling. Not leaving it to your customer to tell you about the issue. Bush league quality there.

Btw the Aura is NOT the only internal upgrade you can make. There is such a thing as OEM Toshiba and Samsung SSD drives a customer could use rather than a OWC drive that won't fit or require "just push harder" comments from staff at OWC.
Here here!
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:51 PM   #56
rpg51
macrumors 6502

It is interesting because my experience with OWC was excellent, including customer service. I wonder if there is possibly a bit of an over reaction here. I will say that the most successful companies that run into this sort of thing handle the situation better than OWC has in this thread. I wonder if the person responding is a a sales/marketing person because this is NOT the way a sales person would respond. The best response is to take the hit, apologize profusely and promise to do better. Send the customer a perfectly fitting replacement part free of charge. If the numbers are as low as OWC professes this would cost them almost nothing and it would be the best possible marketing they could do. They would have a customer singing their praises and sending all their friends to OWC. Instead they respond in a defensive way minimizing the issue and making their customers distrust them. Rule number 1 - the customer is always right. This terrible response is enough to make me stay away and look for alternatives - and their are alternatives.
rpg51 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:41 PM   #57
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
It is interesting because my experience with OWC was excellent, including customer service. I wonder if there is possibly a bit of an over reaction here. I will say that the most successful companies that run into this sort of thing handle the situation better than OWC has in this thread. I wonder if the person responding is a a sales/marketing person because this is NOT the way a sales person would respond. The best response is to take the hit, apologize profusely and promise to do better. Send the customer a perfectly fitting replacement part free of charge. If the numbers are as low as OWC professes this would cost them almost nothing and it would be the best possible marketing they could do. They would have a customer singing their praises and sending all their friends to OWC. Instead they respond in a defensive way minimizing the issue and making their customers distrust them. Rule number 1 - the customer is always right. This terrible response is enough to make me stay away and look for alternatives - and their are alternatives.

Well said. I dont think this is as isolated as Grant wants us to believe:

Mediacomposer
aleni
mikeruoc
drinkjetfuel
mordichka

Have all had problems. That is 5 and I bet there are more out there that have not posted to the thread.

Rather than make excuses OWC Grant needs to admit there is a problem (there clearly is) and how OWC is working to rectify the issue. Otherwise there is no reason to deal with them. Grant has left me less than impressed with the way OWC deals with customers. Rather than blame the customer for not pushing hard enough, maybe they should admit production drives aren't up to par and they will be working with manufacturing to rectify the issue ASAP and let customers know when the issue is resolved. That would be great customer service. Instead of stating customers aren't using enough pressure and blaming them.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:59 PM   #58
dtjay7
macrumors regular

I have upgraded with an OWC SSD and have not had any problem. I think that it may look like a bigger problem than it is because when you don't have a problem there isn't any reason to discuss it. They have always been responsive to me when I have had questions.

However, the thought of using pressure to install it would terrify me!

Last edited by dtjay7; Dec 10, 2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Added comment.
dtjay7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:25 PM   #59

Quote:
Well said. I dont think this is as isolated as Grant wants us to believe:

Mediacomposer
aleni
mikeruoc
drinkjetfuel
mordichka

Have all had problems. That is 5 and I bet there are more out there that have not posted to the thread.

Rather than make excuses OWC Grant needs to admit there is a problem (there clearly is) and how OWC is working to rectify the issue. Otherwise there is no reason to deal with them. Grant has left me less than impressed with the way OWC deals with customers. Rather than blame the customer for not pushing hard enough, maybe they should admit production drives aren't up to par and they will be working with manufacturing to rectify the issue ASAP and let customers know when the issue is resolved. That would be great customer service. Instead of stating customers aren't using enough pressure and blaming them.
Having just read this entire thread, I think you're just looking to get your jollies by constantly picking a fight with OWC Grant.

I think it's hilarious that you're using MR as some sort of basis for extrapolating the defect ratio of a product. I thought that it was sort of 'Forums 101' that only the people with problems will seek out a medium through which to vent and voice their concerns and seek a solution. For the five users here with problems, I'd bet there are hundreds that received and installed the product with zero issues. Users with positive outcomes usually don't seek a medium through which to sing their praises. That's what the review section on the product page at OWC is for.

OWC Grant has already pointed out, that with any highly specialized manufacturing of a product, the QC will inevitably vary. Is this an ideal situation? No. However, it's a simple fact of life and it's nothing to get ones panties in a bunch over.

If you think you can do it better, I bet OWC would love to hear from you.
184550 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:34 PM   #60
primalman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
Having just read this entire thread, I think you're just looking to get your jollies by constantly picking a fight with OWC Grant.

I think it's hilarious that you're using MR as some sort of basis for extrapolating the defect ratio of a product. I thought that it was sort of 'Forums 101' that only the people with problems will seek out a medium through which to vent and voice their concerns and seek a solution. For the five users here with problems, I'd bet there are hundreds that received and installed the product with zero issues. Users with positive outcomes usually don't seek a medium through which to sing their praises. That's what the review section on the product page at OWC is for.

OWC Grant has already pointed out, that with any highly specialized manufacturing of a product, the QC will inevitably vary. Is this an ideal situation? No. However, it's a simple fact of life and it's nothing to get ones panties in a bunch over.

I just wish I could rate up more than once. I agree. My experience for 15 years with OWC has been overwhelmingly positive. Never an issue with QC or customer service.

I am sorry to see that there are a few issues with the SSD, but, as pointed out above, it would seem to be quite isolated and I am sure they are improving the design as best they can with their contractors. [Grant said as much].

I have spent at least $15,000 of mine and my employer's money on upgrades and equipment with OWC over the years, and will continue to do so.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:56 PM   #61
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:

1) I am not picking a fight with Grant.

2) It isn't just a QC issue.

3) It also includes the response/treatment of customers in that it is somehow their fault because they aren't "pushing hard enough".

4) Sounds like these shouldn't have even been sold as the tolerances and QC is horrible for this product.

5) Also notice how there are no negative reviews on OWC for the product and one poster on here didn't even have his review uploaded by OWC.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:04 PM   #62
Rob.G
macrumors 6502

After reading this thread, I'm not quite clear... exactly what kind of speeds are the OWC drives supposed to provide? I just ran the test on my 11" which has the Samsung 256 gb unit, and I'm getting 450's on reads and 395's on writes. For comparison, the Samsung 840 Pro 256 in my Mac Mini is getting 550's and 500's, respectively. I even saw a peak of 586 and 530. That thing flies!

Rob
Rob.G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:51 AM   #63
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I don't think its the QC that is as much of an issue, I think most sensible people accept that there will always be things that slip that net, including Apple products.

I think the issue that concerns me the most here, and one which would stop me buying from OWC again is the way they've dealt with the problem. I want absolute comfort when I spend my money with retailers that if there is a problem it will be dealt with fairly and efficiently. Thats why many of us buy Apple products, because they've pretty much nailed that compared with much of the rest of the market in my opinion.

Whats makes this all the worst, is that good customer service costs nothing, there is no excuse for not providing it. It benefits the consumer and the retailer...it hasn't hurt Apple after all.
Beanoir is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:09 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanoir View Post
I don't think its the QC that is as much of an issue, I think most sensible people accept that there will always be things that slip that net, including Apple products.

I think the issue that concerns me the most here, and one which would stop me buying from OWC again is the way they've dealt with the problem. I want absolute comfort when I spend my money with retailers that if there is a problem it will be dealt with fairly and efficiently. Thats why many of us buy Apple products, because they've pretty much nailed that compared with much of the rest of the market in my opinion.

Whats makes this all the worst, is that good customer service costs nothing, there is no excuse for not providing it. It benefits the consumer and the retailer...it hasn't hurt Apple after all.
I haven't seen one instance in this thread where a customer was dealt with 'unfairly and inefficiently'. In fact, it appears that even after damaging a product to get it to fit, instead of asking for a replacement, a user received a full refund. IMO, that's more than fair.
184550 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:34 AM   #65
VNM
macrumors member

Quote:
I haven't seen one instance in this thread where a customer was dealt with 'unfairly and inefficiently'. In fact, it appears that even after damaging a product to get it to fit, instead of asking for a replacement, a user received a full refund. IMO, that's more than fair.
The product damaged was the owner's laptop to get it to fit, not the product, so offering a full refund wasn't "more than fair".
VNM is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:56 AM   #66
OWC Grant
macrumors newbie

see vendor information in user profile
I truly am concerned - and disappointed - when any customer experiences any dissatisfaction with an OWC product.

With that in mind then, what I can recommend is that anyone interested in the Aura Pro for the 2012 MacBook Air order it and try it. If it does not meet all your expectations within the first 30 days of purchase, we'll gladly and promptly refund the purchase price.

We stand behind our products and take such issues seriously. Things do not always go as expected and that is why we are here to help and happy to do so.

To our customers that have tried it and it didn't meet your needs....that is highly unfortunate as we most certainly wanted you to be thrilled with it.

Rest assured, our product development team will continue to monitor returns for further evaluation and any escalation of the issue.

Thanks!

Last edited by OWC Grant; Dec 11, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
OWC Grant is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:50 AM   #67
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
In fact, it appears that even after damaging a product to get it to fit, instead of asking for a replacement, a user received a full refund. IMO, that's more than fair.
Nathan, no one damaged a OWC drive in this thread. Actually a member damaged his MBA to make the OWC drive fit because of the poor tolerances of the drive compared to OEM.

Seems like others are experiencing OWC SSD drives fail as well. 2 bad drives in 3 months doesn't make me more comfortable purchasing a OWC SSD. Personally I would look elsewhere for the moment until things get fixed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1505590
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:43 AM   #68
besweeet2
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to besweeet2
My 240GB SSD by OWC for the 2012 MacBook Air died on me yesterday (see my rant thread here).

I would simply advise potential MacBook Air owners to just have your Air configured with a larger SSD directly from Apple, as you'll most likely get guaranteed reliability from them. A 120GB to 240GB SSD isn't vital for me, so I'm not bothered by the drive failing.
besweeet2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:44 PM   #69
Reality4711
macrumors member

100%

If you ever find a 100% percent company/person whatever you should really take yourself off for a checkup.

Like unicorns - they do not exist!

If they put the effort into the things that matter thats pretty much all your going to get.

Personally I have sent back a couple of things to OWC without a problem and in one case particularly they went beyond the written contract and solved the problem with good manners and (dare I say) generosity of spirit. Not to be laughed at I find.

Living in the UK and dealing with OWC in the USA is not always smooth and that is probably the biggest problem I have with them. Otherwise pretty damned good and I will use them until I find otherwise.

Declaration:- neither an OWC employee or shareholder.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:06 PM   #70
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't think you've read this thread properly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediacomposer View Post

I removed OWC's and reinstalled the factory drive no harm no foul except for the installation scar. I RMA'ed the drive to OWC and they only refunded $130 of the $170 cost and I also paid shipping for the return (which I wouldn't have minded if I got all $170 back.)

I have to say the worst part of this is that I wrote all this in a review under the drive's OWC product page and it was never posted. As of right now it has a perfect 5 star review when I posted mine roughly 3 weeks ago. This blatant screening of reviews is why I write this today... so people know, buyer beware.
That doesn't sound to me like good customer service, does it??

Last edited by Beanoir; Dec 11, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Beanoir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:10 PM   #71
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality4711 View Post
If you ever find a 100% percent company/person whatever you should really take yourself off for a checkup.

Like unicorns - they do not exist!

If they put the effort into the things that matter thats pretty much all your going to get.

Personally I have sent back a couple of things to OWC without a problem and in one case particularly they went beyond the written contract and solved the problem with good manners and (dare I say) generosity of spirit. Not to be laughed at I find.

Living in the UK and dealing with OWC in the USA is not always smooth and that is probably the biggest problem I have with them. Otherwise pretty damned good and I will use them until I find otherwise.

Declaration:- neither an OWC employee or shareholder.

I am happy to hear you have had a good experience with OWC in the past however the issue is the current Aura SSD. Enough complaints and issues are raised to the point some of us don't feel it is worth the headache of dealing with drives that don't fit and returns that we would rather wait until issue is resolved or go with an aftermarket OEM drive.

Btw, I don't believe OWC is a publically traded company so there aren't any shareholders that I know of.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:14 PM   #72
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Btw, I don't believe OWC is a publically traded company so there aren't any shareholders that I know of.
psst...all companies private or public have shareholders..
Beanoir is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:27 PM   #73
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
psst...all companies private or public have shareholders..
Wouldn't that be more a stakeholder? I digress.

Btw, I didn't study business in college and don't work in the field. So can be completely wrong.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:45 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediacomposer View Post
Hey Guys,

Long time lurker first time thread-starter, you guys have solved A LOT of problems of mine over the years and I thank you for that.

I wanted to let you know of a recent problem I had with the brand new 2012 third party solid-state drive upgrade for the Macbook Air. The new Macbook Air in 2012 has a new form-factor for the SSD "blade" and is touted to have a much faster read/write speed from the 2011 version. After a little delay, third-party Mac parts manufacturer "Other World Computing" came out with a compatible 2012 version of this SSD. I was excited to get this upgrade because while Apple tends to gloss over their "performance" improvements, I knew OWC was a solid SSD manufacturer for all Mac products. I have bought memory and SSDs from them in the past and found them to be reliable, fast, and a great value.

This time however was a completely different story. I bought the computer with the 128GB SSD option and looked to install the 120GB Aura Pro 6G SSD. For $170 I thought it was an applicable upgrade if it meant over 500 MB/s read/write speeds as advertised. As a video editor, I occasionally use the air to throw video together. The advantage of having the fastest SSD as my system drive becomes apparent with highly intensive program use. I did drive speed benchmarks on the factory SSD before installing OWC's version.

During installation I hit a major snag. The drive did not fit my machine! I have the 11" and I don't know if they only measured the 13" version but I had to shave off a corner of the plastic battery container with an X-acto knife to get the drive to lay flat (Inside red circle).

Now, admittedly, this alone would not have been a deal breaker for me. The drive did ultimately fit and I installed a fresh 10.8.2 OSX onto it. Upon setting that up, I ran my benchmarks again and found that the drive did not even come close to the factory drive. The factory drive ran a read/write speed consistently around 450MB/s and this drive could barely break 200MB/s using BlackMagic's Disk Speed Test. Very disappointed.

I removed OWC's and reinstalled the factory drive no harm no foul except for the installation scar. I RMA'ed the drive to OWC and they only refunded $130 of the $170 cost and I also paid shipping for the return (which I wouldn't have minded if I got all $170 back.)

I have to say the worst part of this is that I wrote all this in a review under the drive's OWC product page and it was never posted. As of right now it has a perfect 5 star review when I posted mine roughly 3 weeks ago. This blatant screening of reviews is why I write this today... so people know, buyer beware.
Quote:
We're sorry for the experience you had, mediacomposer. We did try reaching out to you directly via phone and email, but our contacts went unanswered.

On 10/10, we did issue a credit for the remaining balance and thus you have received back 100% of your purchase and shipping expenditure.

We didn't post the review as we often find that once we begin direct dialogue with a customer, things are resolved and that then adds more factual information to the entire review/reply thread. Another aspect is that we were concerned posting the review might encourage another reader to modify the inside of their MBA such as you did.

The non-fit aspect of the Aura Pro in your 2012 MBA was an isolated experience...we honestly have not had other reports of such.

Lastly, on the performance aspect, we can only point to what others like The SSD Review have found in that the Aura Pro is the fastest SSD available for this machine. As much as we can claim such, we suggest the independent reviewers' unbiased take on our products have the most weight.

Hope this reply restores everyone's faith and trust in OWC. We've been serving your needs since 1988 and plan on doing so for many more years to come.
Quote:
I don't think you've read this thread properly...

That doesn't sound to me like good customer service, does it??
Yep, confused the OP with another user. Oh well.

However, what were you saying about someone not reading the thread properly?
184550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:07 PM   #75
krravi
macrumors 6502a

When you have nailed down the dimensions for the part to be manufactured, I don't understand how there can be variances.

We are talking about a computer so thin and not a desktop where there is space to wiggle around.

If there are variances then an important step in QC is missing, which is

"Measure the dimensions of the SSD board to the millimeter, before giving it a okay"

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Tags
macbook air 11, macbook air 2012, owc, ssd